The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just called the Albuquerque Lotus dealer service center, he's telling me it costs ~$4k in just labor to do the synchro replacement and that it's over 30 hrs in labor taking over 1 week to do it. Is this right? If so... :facepalm

this really really sucks if it is the case. Is it fine for me to keep driving without shifting form higher gears into 2nd? I've been doing that with no issues at all...

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't necessarily say that he sold me a knowingly faulty car. Even that sounds bad, I'm not complaining. I just want to get down to the issue so I don't lose out on more money.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I had a local shop replace mine a few years ago to the tune of around $2,000. Only to have the ring and pinion fail shortly thereafter. Until it gets real bad I'd just live with it myself.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a local shop replace mine a few years ago to the tune of around $2,000. Only to have the ring and pinion fail shortly thereafter. Until it gets real bad I'd just live with it myself.
Looks like a rebuilt replacement through sector111 is $1,800. Why would a fully rebuilt tranny cost half of the labor to rebuild one...it's weird. Oh well. I'm fine with it if I can drive it. It's not acting up. The grinding is moderate at best, just something I know isn't right.

I still haven't changed the fluid, nor checked it (sadly). Gotta do that ASAP!! Or issues that arise may be my fault.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Looks like a rebuilt replacement through sector111 is $1,800. Why would a fully rebuilt tranny cost half of the labor to rebuild one...it's weird.
Because there are plenty of people who will do an engine or tranny rebuild at less than $100/hr shop rate that the dealer quoted you.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Because there are plenty of people who will do an engine or tranny rebuild at less than $100/hr shop rate that the dealer quoted you.
Fair enough, I'm new to this Lotus stuff. I figured that was a shiiiit estimate. The guy sounded rather unintelligent as well when he was describing things.

From what I know about tranny rebuilds you can have it done for around 1k. If you drop off the tranny, more if they need to remove it. Is it a good idea to buy one from a forum member if it does come down to me needing one?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Wow! I removed my 2-Elevens trans, rebuilt it, installed h/d 3rd and 4th gears in under 11 hrs. New synchros, blockers, bearings etc. That was the first one I have done. Could shave a couple more hours easy. Of course it helps that I did transmissions for a living for 35yrs.:D 30 hrs is crazy. It's basically the same job as a Celica and book time is 14.4 hrs. That's to R & R and rebuild.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow! I removed my 2-Elevens trans, rebuilt it, installed h/d 3rd and 4th gears in under 11 hrs. New synchros, blockers, bearings etc. That was the first one I have done. Could shave a couple more hours easy. Of course it helps that I did transmissions for a living for 35yrs.:D 30 hrs is crazy. It's basically the same job as a Celica and book time is 14.4 hrs. That's to R & R and rebuild.
Care to rebuild mine if needed...? with compensation of course?

·
Registered
214 Posts
you could probably have it done at the toyota dealership for less than that as well. any certified mechanic should be able to rebuilt a manual trans though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts