The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im new here, getting a 2nd hand elise(right hand drive) and very interested in this.

im very very new to everything about lotus so i heard some horrible story about chassis frame damage so i manage to took this (passenger side)

is that the special glue lotus use to bond the frame?

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Welcome and good luck on the purchase of a Lotus.

Other than the fact the wheels are dirty, the car looks fairly clean. As was stated, the orange is the glue that Lotus uses to bond all the aluminum material together. The only way to truly know if it was in an accident is to get a Car fax report on the car and to then look the car over from tip to stern and top to bottom. The easiest would be to have a certified lotus technician put it up on a rack and look it over for you. And if you ask nicely, he may let you stand next to him as he is doing it so you can ask questions...just an idea. :)

·
Registered
685 Posts
I suspect the OP is in the UK. This is not the best website for him - www.seloc.org might be better.

Welcome and good luck on the purchase of a Lotus.

Other than the fact the wheels are dirty, the car looks fairly clean. As was stated, the orange is the glue that Lotus uses to bond all the aluminum material together. The only way to truly know if it was in an accident is to get a Car fax report on the car and to then look the car over from tip to stern and top to bottom. The easiest would be to have a certified lotus technician put it up on a rack and look it over for you. And if you ask nicely, he may let you stand next to him as he is doing it so you can ask questions...just an idea. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
no, i am from Singapore :)
this is my VERY first lotus, they did let me test drive it and the way it accelerate is awesome!
When i was thinking how awesome it was,
after 4K or so it suddenly push harder... supercharger?

there is a slight rattling noise in the front of the car, the noise cannot be heard inside the car with the window close and i confirm it from the front.
the dealer say it the supercharger sucking in air noise but isn't the engine in the back?
Is it some common lotus experience? (noise, vibrate, loud exhaust)
it jul 08 with only 17000KM.
so does the noise goes away when it been driving regularly?

Used Lotus Elise Car for Sale in Singapore, Hui Hua Credit Pte Ltd - sgCarMart

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you have a rattle in the front, try checking right under the front lip where the fiberglass bumper bolts to the aluminum under tray. there are 3 bolts, If one is missing, like mine was then it will flap up and down usually at idle and the sound comes straight into the cabin with the windows up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help guys.
Wow! didn't expect to have so fast respond here as Lotus is a very rare brand to see running around so it hard to find knowledgeable people to seek help.
(In Singapore)

I will went down for another look especially under the front lip.
I will post in this thread if i have more question... to keep the forum clean :)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Isn't owning a car like that in Singapore a bit like having a mistress you can never kiss?? The speed limits are so restrictive and the law enforcement so strict, how can you enjoy it? And if you did and were caught doing so would they cane you right there on the side of the road or is the death penalty enacted for such an offense?? rotflrotfl

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys, i confirm it with the dealer to fix the rattle sound and also the driver door rubbing slightly on the catch when closing the opening.

They also do a free service but before I pick the car up, is there anythingelse I need to tell them to check? Like all the orque rate for rear toe links, lug nuts... Etc..
Is there anything I need to be aware of?(common lotus problems)

Btw I know that guy for 15+ years so i kinda trust him on preparing the lotus before delivery but I still need to have some precaution.

Thanks!

No mikelr, there always Malaysia road for us to have fun and also the sepand international circuit.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
You might want to get used to that if you're going to own and Elise.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Looks like possibly Nitron's but we need a better look at the top and bottom of the shock to tell if they are singles or double/triple adjustable...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nitron? So it a aftermarket suspension? Hmm...
I'm getting feedback tru out the car even just going to the shops.
Some particular smooth road seem not to be smooth to my Elise. Lol.
Still the best handle car I ever driven!

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Thanks for the help guys.
Wow! didn't expect to have so fast respond here as Lotus is a very rare brand to see running around so it hard to find knowledgeable people to seek help.
(In Singapore)
Half of the Lotus owners are out driving their cars and the other half are here reading the forum.:rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts