The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the basic Toyota 2zz- GE engine the same engine used in both the Elise and the Exige S?

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
^^^^ So finally, here's the real answer.

It depends. Some of the 2zz-GE motors for the Lotus (depends on VIN) have a flux capacitor. None of the Toyota cars with 2zz-GE engines have the flux capacitor. This is not easily retrofitted to the engine and it is actually cheaper to purchase a Lotus with the capacitor already in place than to retrofit, particularly if you sell your current non-capacitor car. It can not be retrofitted to the Toyota application b/c of space limitation in the engine bay.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
It balances the pentilever by cycling the camshaft inward, inducing longitudinal drag.

Mine went out twice, but luckily I have the new 3zz engine and the capacitor is much cheaper for my model.
What year did you get the 3zz? I didn't see one in 2011. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can get one here. And more specifically, here.
Thanks Serebo! BTW, I'm the guy you met @ BHL a couple weeks ago (Franco's manager). I guess, being in the business, I should have picked up on the Back To The Future referance.

So...again, what are the differances, if any between the 2zz GE engine that's in our cars and the one in the Toyota?

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Thanks Serebo! BTW, I'm the guy you met @ BHL a couple weeks ago (Franco's manager). I guess, being in the business, I should have picked up on the Back To The Future referance.

So...again, what are the differances, if any between the 2zz GE engine that's in our cars and the one in the Toyota?
Ha! Nice to see you on here. And yes, you should have gotten that one. ;)

There are minor differences, mostly due to the different engine orientation. front/rear. Different piping into the throttle body, for example. But for the most part, they're the same.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
You can get one here. And more specifically, here.
Ha! That site's awesome! All your automotive needs in one place! They have a Butt Dyno, Muffler bearings, blinker fluid, seasonal tire air. Holy cow, I'm in automotive heaven.

As usual, I owe you one Alan. :up:

I really did almost wet my pants seeing the flux capacitor for $175K and the butt dyno.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
:D

My favorites are the cross-drilled brake lines and radiator insulator. rotfl

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
In all seriousness, it's pretty much the same engine, there are even things made for toyota included on the engine that the lotus gets no real benefit from. The biggest difference is (1) it's laterally mounted and mid engine, as opposed to in the front, and (2) lotus tuned ecu is more turned for performance, the toyota tuning is better for mpg (or so I hear).

I'm actually not the best informed on things like this, you might want to try using the search feature if you're looking for an actual answer and not just being chatty. You'll notice the above chatty replies that are assuming either (a) you're too lazy to search and therefore deserve sarcasm, or (b) you're just hear for a good chat.

=)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here's a quote from the sandsmuseam:

Toyota's 2ZZ-GE versions found in the U.S. make ten fewer horsepower at 180 hp than the same engine in the rest of the world which has 190 hp. However Lotus has retuned the 2ZZ-GE for use in Elise, smoothing out the torque dip at the 6000 rpm cam changeover point and strengthening the torque in the other rpm ranges. In addition to the improved torque Lotus brought the peak horsepower back up to 190 in their U.S. version of the engine. These adjustments were largely accomplished by reprogramming the Engine Control Unit (ECU or engine computer). Toyota has apparently expressed interest in the changes Lotus made to broaden and even the torque and increase the power. Changes to the Lotus version of the engine are not purely electronic, however, as a new intake and exhaust are also fitted. The exhaust is so fully optimized that altering it reportedly results in a significant power loss. Aftermarket tuners and parts buyers beware!

HTH,
Larez2

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm actually not the best informed on things like this, you might want to try using the search feature if you're looking for an actual answer and not just being chatty. You'll notice the above chatty replies that are assuming either (a) you're too lazy to search and therefore deserve sarcasm, or (b) you're just hear for a good chat.

=)
....or...I did search and didn't readily find an answer to my specific question. So I thought (mistakenly) that I could feel comfortable enough on a forum with fellow Lotus owners to pose a simple question and (maybe after some good natured kidding) to actually get an answer from someone more informed than myself. Not interested in a "good chat"... or a lecture. Just had a question.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
....or...I did search and didn't readily find an answer to my specific question. So I thought (mistakenly) that I could feel comfortable enough on a forum with fellow Lotus owners to pose a simple question and (maybe after some good natured kidding) to actually get an answer from someone more informed than myself. Not interested in a "good chat"... or a lecture. Just had a question.
Eh, ignore the haters. I think the question has been answered, but call me if you still have doubts. I think you have my #, but I'll PM you just in case. - A

1 - 19 of 19 Posts