The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This youtube video is actually worth watching for the Elise crowd - especially if you have fought wiped intake cams.
It's a 2zz installed in a MR2 spyder, he has the start of a wiped intake cam. Long story short - he rigs up the oil spray normally located in the valve cover (and adds a second one) without the valve cover in place and starts the engine! Pretty crazy - but it works and you can see the oil sprays placing oil directly on the large cam lobes. Fast forward to 6:10 in the video to see the rig and start up.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
I'm curious to see how the long the tubing last before vibration breaks it.

Good idea. We would run oil sprinklers built in to the valve covers on our Chevy racing engines to cool the valve springs.

Later,
Eldon

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
I still believe it's oil temp related. Otherwise, cam wiping would occur on Toyotas and it really doesn't.

PS: Saw similar video 14 or so yrs ago....

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
It does happen in Toyotas, I mean this video is in a Toyota

Majority of Toyotas would be autos and rarely see high RPM

Majority of cam wear is undetected

I'm not saying it isn't cold oil, but this isn't proof one way or thuther

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Absolutely correct. It does happen in Toyotas that are driven like a lotus. I bought a celica gts automatic just to part it out for fun and to keep the 2zz. I drove it for a little while and it’s almost impossible to hit the big cam in an automatic the way it’s geared. 192,000 miles and the cams were perfect.

Omari’s.to

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts

Well, we don't know if the owner got to cam switchover while his oil was too cold (or any other factors, like type or age of oil).

But, 12-13 yrs ago, when I asked my Toyota friend to look into this among their cars, it was very, very rare.

Given the perhaps significant cam wipe numbers here, I will continue to believe it's an oil temp issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts