The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a huge fan of the Ariel Atom but they've just released pics and specs of their new 500hp v8. As a publicity stunt it's going to work really well as it's going to set the new acceleration benchmarks for 10 yr old boys everywhere. I reckon Lotus missed a publicity trick here as a 2-11 with the same engine would have rained on Ariel's parade (and probably attracted a lot of new super-rich customers)
Don't suppose there's a lotus owner out there with deep pockets willing to try the same engine in a 2-11?

Here it is...

''The 3.0-litre V8 will produce 500bhp, and will be lighter than the Honda engine currently being used to power both the naturally aspirated and supercharged versions of the Ariel Atom 3. According to Ariel the whole unit weighs less than 90kgs, and adopts a new cam arrangement to help lower the engine size and weight.

The V8 Atom 500 will have a power to weight ratio in the region of 1000bhp, twice that of a Bugatti Veyron and similar to Caparo’s T1. Power will be mated through a conventional Sadev 6-speed sequential gearbox, although Ariel is exploring the possibility of a paddle shift option.

Numbers will be limited to just 25 examples as the Atom 500 will be built at the firm’s existing factory in Somerset. The engines are also likely to be built on-site in a workshop away from the current hand-assembled production line that produces around 100 cars per year. However, the build process is unlikely to start until midway through 2010, as the company is already working at full stretch, and will take between 4-6 weeks to complete each car with around one V8 leaving the factory per month.

Ariel claims the Atom 500 will reach 60mph in under 2.5sec and break 100mph in under 6 seconds. The new V8 powered car will also get substantial modifications to the car’s aero and brake package, as well as new suspension, and will come with a high level of specification that includes options from its 'standard' cars, including the lightweight magnesium alloy wheels.

Ariel has yet to announce a price for the Atom 500, but while speaking to PistonHeads last week Ariel boss Simon Saunders confirmed that the V8 would cost in excess of £100k but ‘no more than £135k’.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
its basically 2 hayabusa cycle engines mated together, made by a compaby called hartford I think. They have been available for a while

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Individual throttle bodies + supercharger+ 13k redline + 13-1 compression + stupid short stroke

Massive specific HP but not streetable for a normal car, probably 10k miles between rebuilds??

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
remind me to take a post a pic of the wide angle v6 hanging in the elevator lobby.... aircraft engine... but looks like 2 bike engines. its very spiffy!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Individual throttle bodies + supercharger+ 13k redline + 13-1 compression + stupid short stroke

Massive specific HP but not streetable for a normal car, probably 10k miles between rebuilds??

10k between builds wouldn't surprise me - but it only needs to do a couple of hundred miles to take every official acceleration record. How much is that publicity worth? Still reckon Hethel could rustle up a contender before the Ariel hits the streets and build some kudos with the 'unwashed and ignorant'.

·
Registered
343 Posts
3.0?

Thought they had already produced 5 units with the Russell Savory 2.4L v8 producing 550bhp which did in fact make 0-60 in 2.6 sec.

Oh yea! Research Russel Savory and you'll see where he has put a 2.4Lv8 in an Elise and made a race car out of it.

Yea! jack itself up on 4 tiny jack stands. Single lug for faster tire changes.

AWWWWW, I forgot all about that. You could buy them. They are for sell.

The same engine as in the lotus seven 500 RS Lacrioseoiueseioioapoiuaeoiusece
or something like that.

I was trying to find out how I could buy one of those engines, then my pay got cut so I've postponed my search.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thought they had already produced 5 units with the Russell Savory 2.4L v8 producing 550bhp which did in fact make 0-60 in 2.6 sec.

Oh yea! Research Russel Savory and you'll see where he has put a 2.4Lv8 in an Elise and made a race car out of it.

Yea! jack itself up on 4 tiny jack stands. Single lug for faster tire changes.

AWWWWW, I forgot all about that. You could buy them. They are for sell.

The same engine as in the lotus seven 500 RS Lacrioseoiueseioioapoiuaeoiusece
or something like that.

I was trying to find out how I could buy one of those engines, then my pay got cut so I've postponed my search.

just found Russel Savory's site RS Performance

He's offering a 600hp version of the Elise!

:crazyeyes WANT!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I don't see why you would need to rebuild it every 10k miles... you don't need to rebuild a hayabusa engine that often even if its boosted :shrug:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you sure Hartley make the 500hp V8 for ariel? Most on the components on the Hartley engines look different to the Ariel Engine. I thought Holeshot Racing were the suppliers? Probably wrong...
The Engines are cheaper than I thought too - $30k for 400hp is pretty cheap considering...

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Are you sure Hartley make the 500hp V8 for ariel? Most on the components on the Hartley engines look different to the Ariel Engine. I thought Holeshot Racing were the suppliers? Probably wrong...
The Engines are cheaper than I thought too - $30k for 400hp is pretty cheap considering...
Here is my source

Ariel Atom 500 V8: more details and photos | Automotive & Motoring News | Car Magazine Online

Car Mag said:
‘We’ve chosen a naturally aspirated V8 from the US – it’s designed by John Hartley, but we will assemble it ourselves here in Somerset,’ Saunders told CAR.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Here's a clip of one of the original Hartley / Hayabusa collaboration engine builds being dyno'd in a Lotus 7...
Hartley Lotus-7 Dyno

View this on its original Youtube page posting, to read more of the details there, behind it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
10k miles rebuild? the numbers I was quoted for something similar was 3k.

IIRC its circa $34k or there abouts

This isn't a road car engine.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts