The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6MT
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am learning more about the Evora/Toyota V6, I'm finding worthwhile additions that may or may not apply to Evoras. One that piqued my interest is an oil pan race baffle that is designed for the stock 2GR-FE oil pan, by Wilhelm Raceworks.

I'm wondering if this would be a natural fit for the stock Evora oil pan? This could be a great insurance policy against oil starvation during high g-force cornering.

Link: Wilhelm Raceworks Oil Pan Baffle

Or is the stock Evora oil pan already equipped with additional baffles making this upgrade non-essential or not fit-able?
Love to hear your comments.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Good timing. I was just about to start a thread about baffled oil pans. When I first started looking for Evoras I remember seeing a thread or two about them and how (I think) they were important if you were going to be tracking the car. Is this true? How necessary is it to have a baffled oil pan on an Evora that gets tracked occasionally on street tires? Does the stock oil pan not have any baffling or anything to prevent oil starvation during sustained turns, or does the oil level stay high enough that it's not needed? Was thinking of doing a track day in mine this fall or next year.

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
Thanks for the offer, Eldon. Is the Cup-R pan baffled in the same way as a stock Evora? Or did they make additions similar to what's been done by Wilhelm Raceworks?
I'm not familiar with what the OEM Evora pan has for baffling. The Cup-R has a special pan that has trap doors like you would find in a race pan except that they are a rubber construction vs. steel.
If you want, I can find the pan and post some pictures.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6MT
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not familiar with what the OEM Evora pan has for baffling. The Cup-R has a special pan that has trap doors like you would find in a race pan except that they are a rubber construction vs. steel.
If you want, I can find the pan and post some pictures.

Later,
Eldon
Yes that would be great, thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
There was some discussion on the FB group about replacing a OEM GT pan with the Moroso and according to @Julian73 the stock may be better but not sure how earlier Evoras fair. The Moroso pan also has built in holes for more sensors if that is something you may be interested in down the road.

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,138 Posts
@eldonz Interesting. I need to install one in the 3-11. I would also like to install an external oil pump.

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
@Kubera I would have thought that your 311 would have had this pan installed. If was you, I would op for the Moroso pan because is has plugs for a dry sumping, etc. which would better for an external oil pump. The Moroso pan also hold more oil. I just noticed that MWR has the pans on sale, too.
Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6MT
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
There was some discussion on the FB group about replacing a OEM GT pan with the Moroso and according to @Julian73 the stock may be better but not sure how earlier Evoras fair. The Moroso pan also has built in holes for more sensors if that is something you may be interested in down the road.

View attachment 1267950
To me, the deep sump pan of the moroso is a nice option, but from a cost perspective it's probably overkill given my intended purpose for the car is spirited canyon drives.
I do like the thought of additional oil capacity.

Wilhelm's website has a nice data evaluation of what is happening in the oil pan under cornering, and what he showed was overfilling the sump by 1/2 quart almost equals the additional benefit of adding an oil baffle.

2GR-FE Oil Pressure Data

This leads me to believe additional oil can overcome a lot of the issues that occur during hard cornering just by the merit of having more to go around.
That also helps explain Lotus's oil level sticker placed on the motor - Toyota doesn't freak out when the motor gets up to 1 qt. low, but Lotus does, thanks to the ability to corner at over 1.0 g.

IMG_20200806_134744696.jpg

·
Illegal Alien
5,005 Posts
Good timing. I was just about to start a thread about baffled oil pans. When I first started looking for Evoras I remember seeing a thread or two about them and how (I think) they were important if you were going to be tracking the car. Is this true? How necessary is it to have a baffled oil pan on an Evora that gets tracked occasionally on street tires? Does the stock oil pan not have any baffling or anything to prevent oil starvation during sustained turns, or does the oil level stay high enough that it's not needed? Was thinking of doing a track day in mine this fall or next year.
Most of the Evora's came with standard Toyota lower pan with no baffleding and I have not seen complaints of oil starvation from trackers. However the Evora race cars (GT4) for LeMans used an alloy sump with special screened pickup, a cast airtight pickup sump and lateral baffles and top separation/baffle plate, this was a very expensive affair so later Lotus modified the original steel pan to perform similar function of providing a contained oil reservoir in sump under the OEM pickup. These were issued as standard on the 3-11, Exige 410, 430 Cup cars, Evora GT410, GT430 and current US Evora GT, while the Evora 400's did not use a baffled sump but rather a separation/baffle plate such as shown in this post.

GT4 Motorsport Sump on Left Series 1 Sump on Right

Attachments

·
Illegal Alien
5,005 Posts
Actually if you ave the original Series 1 pan it is most cost effective to purchase the Wilhelm kit for $150 to modify the stock pan, versus spend between $700 and $3500 for specialized pans. While you have the pan off and cleaned, go ahead and get a 1/8" sensor bung welded in. Just make sure that you have prepositioned and area that does not interfere with OIL filter, chassis beams or exhaust piping.

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
@Julian73 You might want to double check the price of the pan. When I just looked it up it was around $1100 British pounds.
Later,
Eldon

·
Illegal Alien
5,005 Posts
@Julian73 You might want to double check the price of the pan. When I just looked it up it was around $1100 British pounds.
Later,
Eldon
Which price? Wilhelm site says baffle kit is $150.00 dye install. My Lotus MS pan (no longer avail) ALS5E0147 was $3,412.28 in 2012 .. every other pan is somewhere in-between .. Moroso PN 20971 $805.98; Lotus GT Pan A702E0002J $2068.58 (1173.88 UK), Lotus regular pan A132E6169S $447.65, baffle plate as used on 400's, (no longer avail) A132E0215F (64.65 UK)

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
Which price? Wilhelm site says baffle kit is $150.00 dye install. My Lotus MS pan (no longer avail) ALS5E0147 was $3,412.28 in 2012 .. every other pan is somewhere in-between .. Moroso PN 20971 $805.98; Lotus GT Pan A702E0002J $2068.58 (1173.88 UK), Lotus regular pan A132E6169S $447.65, baffle plate as used on 400's, (no longer avail) A132E0215F (64.65 UK)
Check out post #7 which shows a link to a Lotus baffled pan from their parts list. That listing shows a pan for the Exige Cup series. Also, MWR has the Moroso pan @ list of $599 and currently on sale for $535.50.
Later,
Eldon

·
Illegal Alien
5,005 Posts
Check out post #7 which shows a link to a Lotus baffled pan from their parts list. That listing shows a pan for the Exige Cup series. Also, MWR has the Moroso pan @ list of $599 and currently on sale for $535.50.
Later,
Eldon
I was only publishing stated List prices, all things can be found cheaper at a place from time to
time, but such figure doesn't give a general reference point. Post#7 lists the baffled pan A702E0002J that I listed about, which Lotus uses in the Evora (federal) GT, GT430, GT410, 410 Sport, Exige (V6) S, Sport, Cup (full range), and 3-Eleven (full range) .. click the where used link.

·
Registered
173 Posts
So from what I'm gathering, the most likely options for a S1 Evora that is only occasionally tracked (once a year on street tires) would be to overfill by 1/2 quart, or add the Wilhelm baffle, or both. The Moroso isn't terribly expensive, but if you aren't planning to add sensor(s) and don't need the additional capacity, probably not worth it. At $2000, the Evora GT pan is awful expensive and it seems like the stock S1 pan + Wilhelm baffle would effectively be the same thing anyways?

Side note 1: I probably should have looked into this before I started hitting clover leaf on-ramps hard. Haven't had any issues so far and I do keep the oil level right at the top of the dipstick though.
Side note 2: Every time I read the name "Wilhelm" I can't help but think of George Costanza's boss at the Yankees (from Seinfeld). :LOL:

Reactions: zonkersgarage

·
Illegal Alien
5,005 Posts
Side note 1: I probably should have looked into this before I started hitting clover leaf on-ramps hard. Haven't had any issues so far and I do keep the oil level right at the top of the dipstick though.
. I wouldn't be too concerned if you are not running slicks, a large number of Evoras have bee tracked and I've not heard of spun bearings or oil deprived Cams. I believe the Evora has engine vcg closed to cars roll axis that in the MR2, this would reduce lateral forces on the oil (while roll may be the same, lateral translation (and thus flinging would be less).

Side note 2: Every time I read the name "Wilhelm" I can't help but think of George Costanza's boss at the Yankees (from Seinfeld). :LOL:
😂😂😂

Reactions: donour and roarf
1 - 20 of 29 Posts