The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks,

Having some issues with my Evora S and the dealer and was hoping I could get some advice.

Been waiting for over a month for these parts.
1. Drivers side headlamp - Dealer said, nobody has them.. I even called one of the main lotus Rep's and he confirmed.. the only thing I have not done is call europe, not sure if that would help. I have disconnected the drl in the meantime so I am not driving around with 1 light on.

2. Black plastic strip between drivers side window and windshield cracked. I heard this is common problem, but if its so common.. why take so long to get the part.

3. Clutch needs warming up - I have to let my car warm up before I put it in gear, otherwise the cluch is real loose and goes to the floor. As it warms up it gets tighter and eventually lets me put it in reverse. Takes about 3-4min. Someone said I have air in my line, not sure. Dealer cannot even take cars in until later next week.

Thats about it, everything else has been fixed.. I only have 3000 miles on this car and have had lots of little issues.. but overall its been worth it.. I love the car. It had everything except the black pack which I had installed in gloss black wrap, came out great.
Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Can't help with 1 and 2, but #3 is a known point. There is a service bulletin in the SB-Thread about it. The hydraulic fluid overheats and boils once. Afterwards there is gas in the pipe (remember from school that gas expands when it gets hot - thats when the clutch feels normal again.

The dealer has to exchange the hydraulic fluid and install a thermal protection on the clutch cylinder.

·
Registered
211 Posts
"2. Black plastic strip between drivers side window and windshield cracked. I heard this is common problem, but if its so common.. why take so long to get the part."

I am on my third set! I was told by the Lotus tech at the dealership it was from poeple using the pillar to pull themselves out of the car.
I have never done that! This is the same tech that broke my door pulls replacing the door locks. The funny part is the two pot smoking stereo installers had on problems with removing the door panels on my install-poke-

I was showing my cousin that is a chemical engineer for GE plastics my car and mentioned about the cracking issue. After a long explanation he explained that the type of plastic being used was a poor choice for that application! He also mentioned that the cowl that holds the AC vents will break down over time but at a slower rate due to not being exposed to quite the same elements! the good news was the louvers themselves are made of a better grade and should last a long time!:nanner:

·
Registered
396 Posts
He also mentioned that the cowl that holds the AC vents will break down over time but at a slower rate due to not being exposed to quite the same elements!
Does it help if you keep them bathed in a high quality plastic protectant (most certainly NOT ArmorAll)

·
Registered
786 Posts
2. Black plastic strip between drivers side window and windshield cracked. I heard this is common problem, but if its so common.. why take so long to get the part.
I wondering if it's from the temperature contraction/expansion. The black plastic trim piece next to the rear window on mine is bulging outwards. That's where the hot gases next to the engine gets pushed out. I plan on taking it in next week. I bet it might actually crack eventually if left alone.

·
Registered
211 Posts
It would be great if we could find an aftermarket supplier of these parts. Maybe even carbon fiber or something else a little more durable that can with stand the heat!

·
Premium Member
6,246 Posts
You southern folks need to work on a way to let some heat out of interior, be it with a cracked window add a vent somewhere etc. The few hot days we've had in CT made me leave a window cracked open. Black leather makes the bacon cook!

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
cracking pillar trim? Check. On your next set, wrap them to protect them from UV.
clutch pedal issue? Check. there are multiple reasons people have had issues with their clutch or clutch pedal. hopefully you'll sort it out soon.
As for the headlamp, there's a guy on here selling his set, if you're interested. search the for sale forum. Work with your Lotus dealership to reimburse you for the full price.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its been over a month and I cannot get my dealer to even give me a time frame on a headlamp and the black pillar trim.. Carl Jackson was really no help (the lotus lesion for the US) he just said be patient..
I am now wanting to go directly to Lotus in the UK and ask them about the Houston Lotus dealers horrible customer service. Other dealers are saying they could at least give me a time frame. The houston lotus will not even re-imburse me if I find the parts elsewhere.. I just have to wait on them, and cannot even drive at night cuz of the light.

Does anyone have a direct contact number and/or name for the head honcho in the UK???

Thanks a bunch...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Good luck. I waited a whole month for a backup light. I think the dealers are in the dark on when parts will come. I was able to be patient and wait because it wasn't a critical part

·
Registered
498 Posts
A boutique struggling brand like Lotus doesn't have parts available-eek-, I am not surprised. Remember Lotus had a 3 month shut-down forced by the parent company so parts will be hard to get.
+ Europe's economy is struggling. Not a good combination of events. :mad:

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
+1.. I waited 6 months for a replacement dashboard. 2 months for A pillars. Going on month 4 now for a simple ventilation hose. Lotus? TADTS.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, thanks for the stories. I am all for the new esprit coming out and was even thinking about getting one. Now I am thinking instead of using all that manpower and energy coming up with all these new cars, they should focus on making the current lotus customers happy and getting all these parts we need made. After all, reputation is everything and if they become more notorious for bad service who is going to by there new cars.

·
Registered
379 Posts
side pillars

Don't worry - its not getting into and out of the car. Its from the car sitting. I bought a demo Evora and it had a crack in the driver's side the got immediate replaced. Then it got a crack in the passenger side. Now its getting a small crack again. I don't think its UV either as I keep my car in the garage. Ok, maybe UV and heat. Maybe they'll come out with a TSB or we'll just have to keep getting them replaced under warranty until someone comes out with a better design.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts