The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of a rather simple question but I know a 3-way speaker has sort of a built-in crossover, directing certain frequencies to different portions of the 3-in-1-speaker setup. Is this superior to a 1-way speaker (depending on manufacturer quality, etc.)? Is the wiring standard red/black

I've replaced the Blaupunkt crap-speakers with Kenwood Xcellons which are pretty nice but I was wondering if a 3-way version might be better?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Aren't the standard speakers two-way? I wouldn't waste my time with a 3-way speaker in the Elise, better to get a subwoofer installed first IMO (installing a Stealthbox in my Elise made much more of a difference than changing stock speakers).

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Quality matters much more than the number of drivers.
Discrete drivers reduce harmonic distortion, but the added complication adds other problems.
Most speakers don't have a crossover at all, just a filter to keep bass out of the tweeter.
I'm not sure about the Excelons.
Make sure you like whatever you get.
All speakers have errors and your hearing has it's own differences from everyone else, so you may prefer one over another.
I use 3 ways when I can, usually 2 ways in the front.

I suggest stereo bass speakers for subs, not mono.

The Elise is about as hard a car to add speakers to as I have seen.

Electronic crossovers can be added to any speaker set.

External mids or tweeters can be added to a standard 2 way.
I often do this and disconnect the original tweeter.
They are the part scrimped on generally.

I would definitely add to the bass first.
Even a number of smaller drivers add up.
I have seen some sports cars with nothing over 5 inches that had good bass, they just had more of them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
3-ways can get a little "muddy" -- lots of speakers in front of the woofer to distort sound

2-ways -- less interfereance with the sound wave coming out of the woofer -- better if you aren't going to put in a separate tweeter (which you probably wont behind the seats)

1-way is just the woofer and would need a separate tweeter -- really the best -- nothing to interfere with the sound wave -- but not always practical.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
The Infinity Kappas have a quality crossover and sound great, they drop in and weigh less than the stock speakers. I am very happy with mine. I agree with adding bass, that is lacking, but the rumble of the engine adds a nice bass, so I don't miss it much. Basically, unless you are going to cut bigger holes into the car, threeways are not really a viable option.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see. Well, I already added a Bazooka 200W 6" sub and placed it on the shelf in the rear and it fits exactly and stays in-place with no need to tie it down, fasten it or whatever. Odd it fits so perfect. Bass is satisfactory enough when cranked and is about as good as my Pontiac Firehawk's Monsoon system's bass was. It's only monaural though, but the tube-shape fits so gosh-darn good. I -did- have to remove the plastic speaker cover to get her to fit though, so the speaker itself is exposed to.. well, nothing. I've had this setup with the JVC KD-NX5000 and Excellon Kenwood speakers for about a year now. I'm a bit of an audiophile and I find the quality to be acceptable but not tear-jerking like my SACD player setup in my basement with 5.1 DTS.

Interestingly, the JVC creates a 4.1 surround setup when 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS is present. Rush's MVI CD Snakes & Arrows has a 5.1 surround option. The center channel is downmixed into the two front speakers nicely. I'm using the VW wiring harness. DVDs also downmix the center channel to the two front when I (rarely) use it to watch DVDs. I like it that the screen is integrated in the DIN and not a retarded flip-up crap-screen that would block the vents. The carbon-fiber background matches the dash perfectly.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The standard car speakers center a tweeter over the woofer in a single mounting frame and called "coaxial." Speakers which separate the tweeter and woofer into different mounting frames are "component" and often include a small separate box for the crossover. Two-way's are the best and likely only choice (as noted) for the Elise.

A subwoofer like the JL Stealth can make a big difference, but requires you to add an external amp. I have disconnected the rear speakers entirely as I thought the seats just muffled the sound.

+1 on listening to the speakers yourself (bring some of your own music) - everyone's ears are different. You will significantly improve the odds of getting a good result for your money and effort.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts