The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seloc the British equivilent of EliseTalk says that it confirmed with an unnamed employee at Lotus that they are coming out with a 300 bhp GT based loosely on the Elise.

Supposed to be competition for the Noble. That car is does 0-60 in 2.8 sec. They don't even mention the Porsche or the Vette, guess it blows by those.

have fun

Nick

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
do they mention the price? Federalized?

Meh, I'll keeo the elise, and if have to, slap a turbo or supercharger on it :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
price is quoted

at 40,000 English pounds - about $74,000 US. No comment about a Federal model. Not giving up my Elise either. 190 bhp will probably all I can handle.

Thinking - if I want to go faster - go to driving school. That should only cost a few grand.

have fun.

Nick

·
Registered
401 Posts
Re: price is quoted

Nick said:
at 40,000 English pounds - about $74,000 US. No comment about a Federal model. Not giving up my Elise either. 190 bhp will probably all I can handle.

Thinking - if I want to go faster - go to driving school. That should only cost a few grand.

have fun.

Nick
True! I agree 100%.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
humm,

I used to build model aircraft out of balsa wood, they sure were light but not very strong, probably not a good idea for a car.
Considering my last 1 MPH incident perhaps balsa could be stronger than the Elises current body? :D

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
yeah, the car would disintigrate on the acceleration force alone. LOL

·
Registered
352 Posts
Actually balsa wood is extremely strong for its weight, which is why it's used for model airplanes. The Mosquito twin-engined bomber, one of the fastest and most effective warplanes of WWII, was made largely of wood, and much it balsa.

In a more modern application, the floor of the C5 Corvette has a large balsa wood structure. The design team found it to be stronger than the various synthetic composites they tried to use. Pound for pound balsa wood is very strong, especially when used as a composite in conjunction with other materials.

DLY

·
Registered
368 Posts
etypeiii said:
Actually balsa wood is extremely strong for its weight, which is why it's used for model airplanes. The Mosquito twin-engined bomber, one of the fastest and most effective warplanes of WWII, was made largely of wood, and much it balsa.

In a more modern application, the floor of the C5 Corvette has a large balsa wood structure. The design team found it to be stronger than the various synthetic composites they tried to use. Pound for pound balsa wood is very strong, especially when used as a composite in conjunction with other materials.

DLY
Wow. Hooray for structural engineers:clap:

·
Registered
687 Posts
etypeiii said:
In a more modern application, the floor of the C5 Corvette has a large balsa wood structure.
It seems balsa wood is used to bait and detect for termites. Anybody seen a C5 infested with termites? :p

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
In cars balsa wood is used to help the panels directly on either side of it to work better. Expanding foam is also used for this purpose. You know, like that yellowish stuff that comes in an aerosol can and is used around the house to seal and insulate things. It's also used in refreigerators. Lexus was the first to use it in a car....the cavities in the sheet metal unibody is filled with it. It makes the unibody stronger and helps cut noise, vibration and harshness. Some folks add it to their car and note benefits. Those guys use the two part liquid form and pour it into body cavities where it expands and hardens. The stuff is very light like balsa wood and is available in various densities. I guess that balsa must still have other benefits since GM is using it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts