The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Is there any way to make this US compliant?

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
probably not. I think you can bring it here only as a track car or a show car with no more than 2500 miles/yr. HRM has 3 S1 Exiges for sale and none of them are street legal.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Am I missing something here? Unless there is something wrong with this car, it seems like a reasonable price for a awesome track car. He must have far more $$$ than this into it. Help me out here.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
khamai said:
The car MUST be EXPORTED from the US or face the crusher... Can't stay even as a track only car. FEDS.
OUCH!!!!! Some sadistic SOB's making laws in this country. What's the point?

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
khamai said:
The car MUST be EXPORTED from the US or face the crusher... Can't stay even as a track only car. FEDS.
No way! How come? That's BS, freakin' police state up in here. Too many retarded rules.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've seen this car

I've seen this car in person, stood not less than an inch from it (don't touch!). I've spoken with the owner, he's probably got more than twice the closing bid in it. Even heard and seen it crank around the neighborhood, but only a handful of times. sounds like the meanest crotch rocket out there, after going through puberty...

it is awesome. I believe it had nevada plates, but with the gray market import busts I've heard about (registration companies in nevada), I'm willing to bet it can't be allowed here given he still has it... he's been looking to sell for a while.

sucks, I might have bought it, I originally thought it was street legal...

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
if you bring a car in and don't cross your T's and dot your I's...when you get caught, they get destroyed...

If you have ever lived outside the US for a while, you will appreciate that we LESS freedoms than many other places to live.

The US is just a very comfortable place to live.

·
Registered
167 Posts
fitfan said:
If you have ever lived outside the US for a while, you will appreciate that we LESS freedoms than many other places to live.

The US is just a very comfortable place to live.
I'm confused :confused:
Could you explain what you mean??

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
we have many more bullsh*t laws that have either been on the books too long or laws that were passed for very specific or small minded reasons that just make no sense.Also many laws are passed just to get some other legislation passed. just my opinion :)

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
JBurer said:
I'm confused :confused:
Could you explain what you mean??
target style stores, gas stations with food marts, grocery stores with bakeries and delis, wide roads, garages, leather and AC everywhere... The US has it all figured out when it comes to "comfort" so much so that we also tend to have very high percentages of unhealty and overweight people - simply because life is so easy.

In the US we have a below average modern standard of living compared to countries of equal personal economy. we have less time to spend with friends and family, less time for vacation, higher health care expenses, less community, lower education. However we have cheap gas, food, spacious houses, massive cars. Again -comfortable, but lower modern living standards (i.e. what you do in life, not what you own)

Also we have lack many freedoms, due mostly to our abundant quantity of laws that are highly enforced for (personal) economic gain. wich developes a culture that lacks responsabilty for ones actions (don't give a ****).

Not to say all this is non-existant in say .. Japan, Italy, Spain, Argentina.. sure it exist everwhere, but to a far greater per capita here. Or at least, that my experiance and perspective and opinion. I think in general, your average citizen in the US is less happy than their equal in many other coutries.

When you can watch 50 people get heir heads blown off on prime time TV, but its illegal to show 2 lovers nude? ... thats pretty messed up and i would say a sample of lost freedom.

·
Registered
49 Posts
khamai said:
He imported the car on a temporary basis (one year, no extensions). In which case it MUST be re-exported or he faces losing his customs bond for 1.5x the car's original value.

He could have imported it for track use only, but wouldn't have been able to license it for the road for a year. Now it's time to go "bye-bye". If someone wants to buy the car, and store it in Mexico for a little while (6 months to a year) they could re-import it under a new declaration for track use only.

BTW, someone said it was a bargain. Probably so, but we don't know the reserve price.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nice rant dude, and I thought I was the only one. That's why I live in Brazil despite its third world shortcomings. Lots of countries may have similar laws, but they're not enforced wiht the same zeal. The US is all about consumption, and traffic laws and the point system all about money, fines and the state colluding with the insurance industry to bilk the consumer out of billions in unjustifed premiums.

Some famous guy once said every people get the government they deserve. In the US EVERYTHING is ALWAYS somebody else's fault. We are all victims, so BIG GOVERNMENT has to protect us.

But that's what Americans, or the special interests that fund and control the government wants isn't it?

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
EspritGT3,

Yup - the US is a very strange place... so many things you can't do here. like drive a cool Exige! this is definatly the land of "rules and regulations". Keirkegarrd could have spent a lifetime on US society!! not so different from 'the' church...

Brazil is great - wonderfull way of life.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Hi -
I was on a drive recently which included this car. It's a beauty. One of you non-US folks should buy it and give it a new home ;)

Here's a link to a vid of the car from the drive. It shows this Exige accelerating from a rolling 30mph. I didn't take the vid (another person in our group did) but I've rehosted it to my site so as not to suck his bandwidth.

http://www.zyaxis.com/MVI_2920ExigeAccelerating.avi

As far as the 'less freedoms in the US' discussion goes; I'd post my opinion but I don't want to suddenly get a tax audit. ;)

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Holy sh*t!!! I don't know how the Elise accelerates compared to that, but I think that is the "oh sh*t!" acceleration you guys are looking for. LOL!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts