Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So glad I went there. "Nuff said.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's funny...but I guess we have to allow about 1700 miles of that for my boomerang leg back from BOE.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
"Nuff said"?
Tell us more. What have you loved about it, what complaints (if any) do you have?
I know you've had several threads on this, but now you have had 3000 miles to mull things over.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The Act clutch for me is a challenge sometimes because it does not feather as smoothly as the stock tissue paper clutch. The ACT "shudders" if you try and feather it, where the stock clutch will let you slip it if you like.Sort of engaged or disengaged, in or out, no middle ground. It grabs and will not slip a bit. So the proper procedure to get going from a stop involves bringing the revs up a little higher than one would with the stock setup, and then letting it out rather quickly. Not dumping it, but not feathering it. Just letting it out quickly. Just an adjustment for the driver to make. This makes you a bit more noticeable - say - in the grocery store parking lot. Start the motor, rev it higher than "normal" through the ST exhaust to drop in the clutch properly - you are attracting attention. Some people will think you are a jerk revving your engine to show off, when in reality, you are just trying to get it in gear & moving without stalling. And once you are moving, it's the same as any other clutch, except it won't slip. I could never go back to the stock clutch.
The shifting is much improved due to the S111 sport insert in the rear engine mount , the BOE shift reinforcement plate, and the Clayton Big Ball. I still want to get the SSC shift cable, but even without it, it has really improved.
The BOE full links make the chassis feel solid and immutable in the curves, the oil cooler relocation lets me sleep at night.
The Rev 400 is like getting power out of a can - feels stock except for the insane progressive power/torque levels and the Silent Touch exhaust yowl when you kick her with the spurs. When you are just putting around town, you can hear the background of the Walbro in the surge tank, the ITG intake gulping air, and the twin intercooler puller fans, and the purring and burbling from the ST exhaust. It's a crazy sweet, nice , purring, I Will ABSOLUTELY CUT your head off! schizophrenic piece of gear. Nice when you need low profile, insane when you need to go pro. It is much more than i thought it would ever be. Just a car, but boy, what a car. I guess i got the Koldfire 335 tune :)
And even though Phil tuned for 91 octane, I'm stuffing 93 in there without exception. There is only ONE station within 15 miles that has it, but I'll sacrifice the gallon i burn round trip to get the good stuff. I only heard pinging 1 time, that was on the drive home from BOE, had some bad/borderline 91 octane in the car. With the REV400 (as with any supercharger)- bad gas can blow up the motor. So i'm vigilant with fuel, and keep a locking gas cap on the car to prevent sabotage.
I really haven't had any problems. My car doesn't even rattle except for the driver's door window frame thing I have to address.
I have had the car up to 140 mph when I realized I had not installed my splitter, and really really needed the splitter on the car at that speed. It felt like there was a lot left, but i needed more ground effects to get there comfortably.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Which clutch do you have? the ACT HD-SS or the XT-SS? I think the HD is one step up from stock with the XT yet another step. I'm gonna need a clutch sooner or later with 70k on the clock, and with a non-tracked rev300 i'm really tempted to stick with stock because i perfer how you can let it slip... the description you describe would be a deal breaker for me... plus i'm nervous as heck for me knees depending on how much stiffer they are as i DD mine and have to service some rush hour traffic pretty regularly. It's got around 7k miles on the rev 300.

Probably because you have fans running with the Rev400 kit i'm surprised you can hear the fuel pump in the surge tank, but i will say the wallbro in the surge tank adds a bit of a subtle household kitchen blender sound to the car at idle on the Rev 300. Don't know if other kits are quieter, and maybe the gas tank solutions would be silent but I don't think there's any way around the fact that you do need a fuel solution on the higher HP kits. I don't hear the surge tank above idle.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
sure - i might be hearing it only at idle - i also left out the background sound of the REV itself, which is subtle. The HDSS is what i've got - i may have overstated the adjustment - but if you need to feather it, forget it. It won't do it. Stick with stock and pray - or take the leap. Non-tracked your odds are good, but you know the deal. If you end up with a blown or slipping clutch - you knew the odds going in. DD in rush hour - i did that for an hour and it got old...in and out... Do you know how much power you are making to the wheels?

·
Registered
560 Posts
With my daily and I mean every day, putting close to 390 hp I have put a lot of time into making it quiet, drivable and reliable. My Exedy clutch although heavier than stock takes up just like OEM with absolutely no judder and has survived everything thrown at it including the strip (12.01 sec). Using the FF engine damper it has no more harshness at idle than original.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i can get the act to take up properly, i just wish i did not have to try.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I actually have the FF damper too... For me it does vibrate a little more than stock at idle, but honestly i was surprised to find i specifically like it... it's not bothersome at all. i was seriously thinking any extra vibes would drive me nuts so i went that route over the S111 and other type of motor mount inserts becuase it's generally been described as making less vibration than the motor mount inserts, (which i don't have any experience with personally). The FF damper really does limit engine movement... it was installed at the same time as the kit and the motor is definitely moving quite a bit less than it did on stock power. My deck lid gas shock used to bump into and slide slightly past the deck lock mechanism and it's not touching any more. One thing i do notice with the FF engine damper is a little more resonance through the car at around 5k rpms but i don't spend much time there anyway.

As a driving style i tend to slip the clutch a fair bit as opposed to popped it becuase i like smooth transitions and have watched a friend to some expensive repairs on his Audi TT becuase of how roughly he liked to shift.

It's interesting to not that it sounds as if the exedy may be easier to feather. I wonder if they make a middle weight clutch. One thing is for sure, the stock clutch is sloppy loose for feathering... i could hardly drive a 350Z without jerking it around so the stock clutch is certainly forgiving. I have passengers in the car enough that i'd rather not be jerking people around in car. I wonder if excedy makes a middle or lighter weight clutch that's still an upgrade in strength over stock.

Yeah, the problem with the stock clutch is i could probably run through it pretty quick with any track time especially because i do tend to let it slip... only done one track day since 2006 though... no idea how much power i'm putting down now... can't say i really care since it's plenty fun!! Stock cat, Stock intake, stock exhaust, stock headers so it's safe to say i'm still leaving a fair bit on the table by not uncorking it but that's okay by me. I can say i'm putting down too much power for Toyo T1-R's or General Grabber UHP's on the rears. I've got my RA-1's on the rear now and it's much more confidence inspiring. When they wear out probably gonna switch to RE-11's on back. I'm going to stick with the Toyo T1-R's on front though becuase they hook up fine for my driving style since i head into turns really conservatively on public roads... easiest way to play it safe if you ask me.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I actually have the FF damper too... For me it does vibrate a little more than stock at idle, but honestly i was surprised to find i specifically like it... it's not bothersome at all. i was seriously thinking any extra vibes would drive me nuts so i went that route over the S111 and other type of motor mount inserts becuase it's generally been described as making less vibration than the motor mount inserts, (which i don't have any experience with personally). The FF damper really does limit engine movement... it was installed at the same time as the kit and the motor is definitely moving quite a bit less than it did on stock power. My deck lid gas shock used to bump into and slide slightly past the deck lock mechanism and it's not touching any more. One thing i do notice with the FF engine damper is a little more resonance through the car at around 5k rpms but i don't spend much time there anyway.

As a driving style i tend to slip the clutch a fair bit as opposed to popped it becuase i like smooth transitions and have watched a friend to some expensive repairs on his Audi TT becuase of how roughly he liked to shift.

It's interesting to not that it sounds as if the exedy may be easier to feather. I wonder if they make a middle weight clutch. One thing is for sure, the stock clutch is sloppy loose for feathering... i could hardly drive a 350Z without jerking it around so the stock clutch is certainly forgiving. I have passengers in the car enough that i'd rather not be jerking people around in car. I wonder if excedy makes a middle or lighter weight clutch that's still an upgrade in strength over stock.

Yeah, the problem with the stock clutch is i could probably run through it pretty quick with any track time especially because i do tend to let it slip... only done one track day since 2006 though... no idea how much power i'm putting down now... can't say i really care since it's plenty fun!! Stock cat, Stock intake, stock exhaust, stock headers so it's safe to say i'm still leaving a fair bit on the table by not uncorking it but that's okay by me. I can say i'm putting down too much power for Toyo T1-R's or General Grabber UHP's on the rears. I've got my RA-1's on the rear now and it's much more confidence inspiring. When they wear out probably gonna switch to RE-11's on back. I'm going to stick with the Toyo T1-R's on front though becuase they hook up fine for my driving style since i head into turns really conservatively on public roads... easiest way to play it safe if you ask me.
The FF engine damper has a position whereby it is passive with about 2mm of slack. If you adjust the length properly it will be totally passive until you load it up with the accelerator.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe I'm at mile 10k engine 3 transmission 2, flywheel 2 clutch two or three.
hoping that is a track car or i am screwed.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i can get the act to take up properly, i just wish i did not have to try.
Finally got the ACT HDSS broken in, or have learned/changed my driving to suit it. Not really sure which. But it's effortless now after 4200 miles of driving.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
Finally got the ACT HDSS broken in, or have learned/changed my driving to suit it. Not really sure which. But it's effortless now after 4200 miles of driving.
Finally broken in? ACT says broken in at 200-300 miles. LOL

your clutch still shuddering at 4200? Your description mirrors mine and I have to rev & drop to creep forward. Still not used to it yet. Only about 300 on it.

My buddy's has 30k on his and does not shudder at all.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
4400 miles today on the REV 400. You are catching up! The car is very nasty - loving it.. Gonna hit 19,000 miles this week

·
Registered
560 Posts
Had mine 4 1/2 years now hitting 40,000 miles about 10k with the Rev 400. After BWR, VF stage 1 and stage 2. All great kits. Love it as my daily driver and a bit of track work.
Great forum and place to share info.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts