The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Evora is supposed to weigh around 3000lbs.

Thats about what the Cayman S is. What does all the fancy architecture get Lotus if the conventional architecture porsche is about the same weight?

The same weight, likely poorer levels of refinement, a toyota Avalon engine vs a Porsche flat six.

Will this make a dent on the Cayman S?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The production volumes are so small, that it really isn't going to compete with any other model. Lotus buyers/owners are a unique herd that will buy Lotus because of its niche.

Also, I'm not sure we can compare the weight with the Elise. If I'm not mistaken it had received a US variance for bumpers and other safety items that would increase it's weight plus it's really pretty stripped compared to the Evora.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Porsche makes 10 times the volume for the Cayman and Cayman S in the U.S. alone than what Lotus will make world wide with Evora so Lotus does not have to worry about that as they'll sell all 700-800 cars that will come the first model year.

Also, as good as the Cayman or Cayman S is, have you seen dealers inventory? You couldn't give them away, they're flooded with them and even if they come out with the higher HP version down the line, I'd suspect they'd still be sitting around. Porsche came out with a special edition Cayman S in black w/black stripes and still couldn't move them so I don't see how this will be any different....besides, before anyone starts complaining about anything, lets wait and see how this car really comes from the factory, afterall, the U.S. won't see this car until Dec. '09 possibly 2010 and anything can change between now and then.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
The Evora is supposed to weigh around 3000lbs.

Thats about what the Cayman S is. What does all the fancy architecture get Lotus if the conventional architecture porsche is about the same weight?

The same weight, likely poorer levels of refinement, a toyota Avalon engine vs a Porsche flat six.

here we go again, at least there isn't a salamander's life in question this time-poke-

nobody has any real specs on the evora yet, however everyone keeps comparing its weight to other cars. why? let's wait and see how much bigger it is than a cayman etc (remember it has to be bigger even if those seats are small.)

it looks like it will be pretty much fully optioned with full leather etc. which makes it heavier. most manufactors use the weight of a stripped model. besides the car is probably closer competition to a 911 anyway.

the only true way to compare the weight between different cars would be to weight the chassis, body and drivetrain to have a fair comparsion, as all the other crap adds unnecessary and varing weight.

the evora is never going to hurt other cars sales anyway as the production numbers are so small.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, speaking only for myself, I would hope that the Evora won't be a tiny irrelvant car like the Elise or the Exige, that we are on the threshold of Lotus returning to the semi-mainstream as it was with the Eclat, the Esprit, the Excel, when Lotuses were mainstream dreamcars.

I for one hope that the Evora represents a return for Lotus to mainstream credibility. I will be sad if it stays at a new hundred units per year.

I for one do not find romance in small volume eclecticism that leaves the company always hanging on to life by its fingernails. I am not looking for Porsche volumes, but certainly something much healthier than today.

the Esprit, Eclan, Elite (of the 70s), the Excel stood comparison with their equivalent Porsches. I would be happy to see Lotus in that position again.

I don't think we do Lotus any favors as its fans by resisting comparison with the likes of Porsche and staying happy with Lotus barely surviving through the decades.

Lotus deserves more than that.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
the evora is like one of those chubby girls that you know if they just lost a little weight they would be SOOO hot :D

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Sorry if I've missed something.... Does the Cayman have back seats?

xtn

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Well, speaking only for myself, I would hope that the Evora won't be a tiny irrelvant car like the Elise or the Exige, that we are on the threshold of Lotus returning to the semi-mainstream as it was with the Eclat, the Esprit, the Excel, when Lotuses were mainstream dreamcars.
Isn't the Elise one of the most relevant cars of late with its chassis design?
The Esprit is fantastic - but I would not call it relevant.

I for one do not find romance in small volume eclecticism that leaves the company always hanging on to life by its fingernails. I am not looking for Porsche volumes, but certainly something much healthier than today.

the Esprit, Eclan, Elite (of the 70s), the Excel stood comparison with their equivalent Porsches. I would be happy to see Lotus in that position again.

I don't think we do Lotus any favors as its fans by resisting comparison with the likes of Porsche and staying happy with Lotus barely surviving through the decades.

Lotus deserves more than that.
It is a business.
They are not catoring for the masses, although it wouldn't be that hard to with how fuel prices are going.
The Opal teaming was wise...
We'll see where the Tesla goes - that will likely be looked at as relevant with hindsight.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I don't know.

If it's not comparable in price - or number of seats - why is everybody comparing it?

xtn
I think because, to some extent, the rear seats are vestigial, not unlike those in a 911. So, I guess what we have here is the 'practicality' of a 911 at an optioned Cayman S price (performance?) point. :shrug:

·
Registered
580 Posts
What does all the fancy architecture get Lotus if the conventional architecture porsche is about the same weight?
Rear seats, and a bigger car in general. The Cayman is by no means large so far as interior space goes.

Nope. Different cars for different people. Although I have a Cayman S and want an Evora, so I guess it's relative.

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
Also, I'm not sure we can compare the weight with the Elise. If I'm not mistaken it had received a US variance for bumpers and other safety items that would increase it's weight plus it's really pretty stripped compared to the Evora.
You're mistaken. Lots of info out there on this already.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wow! 3000lb!!! That's as heavy as my 350hp Esprit which I think is a bit slow... Sorry but just ran into this info... You have to be kidding... What a big mistake... Hope the price falls to $45K because that is the only way they will sell these... Too bad...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Series 1 Elises had an underpowered (relatively) Rover engine... Series 1 Evoras have a relatively underpowered engine... See the pattern?

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I don't know.

If it's not comparable in price - or number of seats - why is everybody comparing it?

xtn

I'm just saying it costs much more than a Cayman S and delivers what we assume will be comparable, if not lesser performance (based on the statistics and what Lotus has told us already).

Since the seats aren't that great and may even be optional, it doesn't change much in the way of comparison IMO.

If we were to compare it to a 911 Carrera, it's natural rival, there'd be an even larger gap...

So I suppose the confliction is this: I see Cayman S-like statistics and see a 911-like price.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts