The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok guys i think i might have jumped the gun on the other post. I need to step back and gauge the interest of the lotus community and make discussion regaurding this kit. I would like to see how many people would possibly be interested in the kit before i invest my own time and money into the kit. I am not asking for any money or anything at this time just want to see if people would be interested. Please give me any input, ideas, improvements you have on the kit. feel free to pm me with any questions.

for more info see this thread: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55087&highlight=300RR

thanks

·
Registered
975 Posts
might be good to reference the other threads relating to this kit with a brief history why names have been changed etc so readers can get the whole story in one place.

my 2 cents.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I'm not planning on installing a body kit on my car, but I expect you shouldn't have much trouble finding ten people for something like this. A few comments though since you asked:

1. From the pictures, it appears the radiator exit is much larger than stock, makes me wonder if the 300RR uses a larger radiator (I expect so). If you go forward with this kit, you might want to be sure that the radiator exit is properly sized for the stock radiator instead of just copying what you can see in the pictures.

2. Also at the front clamshell, you might want to ensure the access panels aft of the radiator are still removable and not integrated into a single piece front clamshell. If you could use the stock access panels, even better.

3. As someone pointed out in that other thread, the side skirts are not an easily reversible swap - the stock ones are glued in place, so it'd be tough (impossible?) to swap them back for these parts later. You could always look into *covering* the existing side skirts with this new one...that's what was done with an MR2 body kit I bought way back when (Aeroware), looked great but reversible. The challenge with the Elise/Exige, though, is the side scoop, how to enlarge that without removing the stock one (in the MR2's case, that body part was easily removable so was just replaced with the body kit one).

4. When working with that body kits company, be sure it's very, very clear what specification the prototype is to be made to, you don't want confusion. Make it clear what should be the same, what should be different and how.

5. The lower front end has recessed areas just ahead of each wheel...while I'm sure these are functionally good, I think they look a little weird, you might want to consider making the kits with a smoother front end because, let's face it, few or none of the potential buyers truly need optimal aerodynamics, they'd be buying the kit for its looks (and it does look nice, no argument there!).

6. Have you thought about looking around for a different company to partner with, one that wouldn't require deposits up front but is willing to take a risk? Or teaming up with one of the Lotus aftermarket companies, get them to carry much of the financial risk in exchange for being the sole distributor of this?

7. The 300RR has been out for a while now, are there any companies out there that have already made a body kit based on that? You'd have an easier time getting people together for a group buy for something that's an existing product.

Good luck!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've thought a bit about the logistics of doing a 300RR body kit, hopefully TheLawn will weigh in as well, but I thought I'd note a few thoughts (as a potential future buyer of one of these kits, if this project really materializes):

1. From the pictures, it appears the radiator exit is much larger than stock, makes me wonder if the 300RR uses a larger radiator (I expect so). If you go forward with this kit, you might want to be sure that the radiator exit is properly sized for the stock radiator instead of just copying what you can see in the pictures.
The 300RR was basically built ground up, starting only with an Exige chassis. The doors and engine lid appear to be the original size/shape, altho they're probably carbon fiber. Everything else was done custom. Because of this, I don't think any of us really have an idea how a replica of the 300RR's body would fit an Elise or Exige. I'm pretty certain it does have a larger radiator (from the photos I've seen). If I were doing this project, I'd put a considerable margin in, to buy replacement parts that might be needed (or ensure that the body kit was modified from the original design to fit a stock car's internals).

3. As someone pointed out in that other thread, the side skirts are not an easily reversible swap - the stock ones are glued in place, so it'd be tough (impossible?) to swap them back for these parts later. You could always look into *covering* the existing side skirts with this new one...that's what was done with an MR2 body kit I bought way back when (Aeroware), looked great but reversible. The challenge with the Elise/Exige, though, is the side scoop, how to enlarge that without removing the stock one (in the MR2's case, that body part was easily removable so was just replaced with the body kit one).
I agree that applying the widebody kit is not going to be reversible (fully at least, or without a lot of cost). Anybody who thinks they might want to take the kit off if they don't like it, should probably consider whether they're really going to be that dedicated to making a widebody work on their car... for most cars, conversion to widebody involves a lot more work than just slapping on new body panels.

5. The lower front end has recessed areas just ahead of each wheel...while I'm sure these are functionally good, I think they look a little weird, you might want to consider making the kits with a smoother front end because, let's face it, few or none of the potential buyers truly need optimal aerodynamics, they'd be buying the kit for its looks (and it does look nice, no argument there!).
For me at least, it would definitely not be *just* for looks (I can't speak for most buyers tho...). The point of a widebody is to take the performance of your car up another level, by being able to fit wider wheels, get more downforce, etc... Messing with the aerodynamics that Lotus optimized would lessen the value of this kit significantly, in my eyes... (I for one also happen to like the looks of the recessed areas!) :)

6. Have you thought about looking around for a different company to partner with, one that wouldn't require deposits up front but is willing to take a risk? Or teaming up with one of the Lotus aftermarket companies, get them to carry much of the financial risk in exchange for being the sole distributor of this?
One thing I don't get is why a prototype can't be made?? I received an offer from a reputable company in LA, with experience doing custom widebodies, that they could build a one-off 300RR bodykit (minus paint) for almost certainly less than $15k. To me, this seems almost necessary, to find out how much work will be necessary to make the bodykit work on our cars.

7. The 300RR has been out for a while now, are there any companies out there that have already made a body kit based on that? You'd have an easier time getting people together for a group buy for something that's an existing product.
No, there aren't.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
i believe this died a while ago...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts