The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know others have written of the noise the Elise makes when off the throttle and the engine is in the 3300 rpm range. My car makes the noise when I'm coasting down and the rpms hit that magic zone and I can stop or change the noise by wiggling the shifter.

I recall seeing a thread a long time back where someone fixed the issue by adding a small weight to the shift linkage on the trans to damp the vibration. I've searched for that thread with no luck.

Anyone know the thread I'm thinking of? I'd love to solve this and have quiet on overrun.

dave

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
I know others have written of the noise the Elise makes when off the throttle and the engine is in the 3300 rpm range. My car makes the noise when I'm coasting down and the rpms hit that magic zone and I can stop or change the noise by wiggling the shifter.

I recall seeing a thread a long time back where someone fixed the issue by adding a small weight to the shift linkage on the trans to damp the vibration. I've searched for that thread with no luck.

Anyone know the thread I'm thinking of? I'd love to solve this and have quiet on overrun.

dave
I heard that noise in all three Elise's I owned, and the two Exiges. Became white noise after awhile.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm familiar with the thread but I don't think it really had a definitive solution.

I had the exact issue. a buzz that could be stopped by slightly pushing the shifter left or right.

That buzz COMPLETELY went away when I installed the SSC shift cable.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Well I have a super loud buzz at that RPM now after I cut some of the heat shielding that's over the exhaust area. So maybe check that thing...especially where it bolts to the rear license plate holder.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just fixed mine. It was a broken exhaust manifold tab. I had it welded, and the new engine mount inserts will hopefully keep it from happening again.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
582 Posts

dave
That was me.
Send me your email address and I will see if I can find some photos.
It drove me nuts for a couple of years before I nailed it.

·
Registered
582 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I got under there today and found my buzz was because of the secondary O2 sensor being loose. I only saw it by just grabbing stuff and wigglying.

You never know what you will find with these tin can rattle boxes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i had this annoying buzz after i switched from stock headers with larini decat to ppe headers with decat

it died down after a track day, but still there sometimes...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm familiar with the thread but I don't think it really had a definitive solution.

I had the exact issue. a buzz that could be stopped by slightly pushing the shifter left or right.

That buzz COMPLETELY went away when I installed the SSC shift cable.
I know this is an old thread but I've been battling the "off throttle 2900-3500 rpm rattle/buzz" and I'm wondering whether anyone else can declare victory against this one by using the SSC cable. It would be nice to have a few more data points before going through this level of pain. Not doubting Robissimo's experience but I'm not 100% sure my rattle is the same one. In my case it seems like I can modulate the rattle sometimes with the shift lever but certainly not always. At this point I believe I have all other potential sources of this rattle eliminated.

- dynamat and retorqued the shear plate
- dynamat on under trays
- velcro on edge of undertray
- weights on shifter levers on top of tranny
- verified exhaust hanger not broken
- tightened exhaust connections
- checked and spaced heat shields
- checked O2 sensor tighness
- used tailpipe expander to tighten up stock exhaust tips (this fixed a different rattle)
- also have 111hq inserts - great upgrade but had no effect on the targeted buzz

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hey there, yeah... I’ve done all of those things too and was never able to find the source! I did notice recently when looking at new clutches on ACT site it mentions “gear rattle” (IIRC), and it varies based on the clutch. Made me wonder if there is something inherent to gear function in the transmission, and it just being especially noticeable in the Elise.

I did also try machining a custom shift linkage pin, both a little bigger and Delrin instead of steel, where the shift linkage sitting on top of the transmission goes into the slotted piece on the transmission shift shaft, and it still didn’t help.

The one thing that did help a little was installing engine mount stiffeners. It didn’t go away, but with less movement of the engine, the “bouncy” nature of the zzz—zzzz-zzzzz on deceleration was a little less noticeable. Let us know if you find something!

·
Registered
55 Posts
There was a theory (on the UK Pistonheads site, IIRC) that this noise is made by the clutch disk springs. It would be interesting to get a read from someone who changed to a different disk type.

·
give me my second cam!
443 Posts
What is weird about my off on throttle 2200 to 3500rpm buzz is it only happens when the car is warmed up. Before the coolant comes up to temp it does not make the buzzing sound.

·
Premium Member
11,570 Posts
Sometimes, but not always, that behavior tells me to look at exhaust system.

Tap around the exhaust with a rubber mallet, gently.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts