The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried running a 350mm steering wheel in their Lotus? I really like the Momo Trek pictured below. Since it's a D shaped and slightly offset wheel I think it'll be no problem with leg clearance during normal driving, but I'm wondering about clearance when turning from lock to lock etc. Or if there are any other issues etc...

Edit: Also before anyone says anything about the Air bag.. I have a EU version car and there are no airbags from the factory.

Thanks

{Also comes in red, blue and gray Alcantara}

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Personally I went the other way and went with a 300mm steering wheel. The 350mm wheel is a about 1.2"/30mm larger than the stock wheel which is probably going to be more than you expect. Part of what I love about the steering is how small the wheel feels.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally I went the other way and went with a 300mm steering wheel. The 350mm wheel is a about 1.2"/30mm larger than the stock wheel which is probably going to be more than you expect. Part of what I love about the steering is how small the wheel feels.
Yea, my stock wheel is 300-310mm's already since I have a non airbag model. Would actually like a little more leverage for Auto-X as it kills my arms.. (getting older and weaker) Was also looking at the OMP Kubic wheel, It's 310x265mm's.. The Momo is much sexier though, but only comes in the 350mm version. Not sure what the other dimension is...

·
Registered
617 Posts
I think the larger wheel may look a little out of place in the Elise. Going between my Elise with a 320mm wheel and my Noble with a 350mm wheel, I definitely prefer the feel of the smaller wheel. The larger wheel is just a bit unwieldy in comparison.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I use a Sparco 320mm-sized wheel in my Elise that looks fairly similar to that one (D-shaped and with that upper alcantara section).

·
Registered
2,202 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had a 350mm momo on for a couple of weeks now and at first I liked it. It was very comfortable. Now after driving for a while - It changes the steering ratio way too much. I drove Mulholland today and my hands and elbows were all over the place. It's hard to get out of the car now, but I do have more leg room. It looks very out of place too. Way too big for the interior of the little car. Ordered a smaller sparco to replace it.
My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have had a 350mm momo on for a couple of weeks now and at first I liked it. It was very comfortable. Now after driving for a while - It changes the steering ratio way too much. I drove Mulholland today and my hands and elbows were all over the place. It's hard to get out of the car now, but I do have more leg room. It looks very out of place too. Way too big for the interior of the little car. Ordered a smaller sparco to replace it.
My 2 cents.
Thanks, I guess I'll look around for something else... Just really liked that design, wish they made a 320mm version... :(

·
Registered
142 Posts
I used to race Acura Integra for last few years and I had the same MOMO Trec 35 cm steering wheel with quick release . About 3 monts ago I started building a Elise for racing since I am selling Acura wanted to install same steering wheel in it . With removable wheel it is easier to get in and out car but 35 cm is way too big for elise. It made me feel even more cramed up in there . I end up getting same style 31 cm sparco kart wheel . the only problem cart wheels have diferent bolt patern so custom fabrication was required .......

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used to race Acura Integra for last few years and I had the same MOMO Trec 35 cm steering wheel with quick release . About 3 monts ago I started building a Elise for racing since I am selling Acura wanted to install same steering wheel in it . With removable wheel it is easier to get in and out car but 35 cm is way too big for elise. It made me feel even more cramed up in there . I end up getting same style 31 cm sparco kart wheel . the only problem cart wheels have diferent bolt patern so custom fabrication was required .......
Thanks...

Just found this OMP SUPERQUADRO steering wheel and it's 320mm's... Now to find a decent price.. :nanner2:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Putting in a 350mm steering wheel will affect the close ratio steering characteristic the car has.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Dragon - I just picked that OMP up myself - Sube Sports - do a google to find it. Anyway I think everyone prices them the same - the tough part was finding one in stock. I used the Sector 111 quick disconnect - works like a champ and install was painless. Very pleased with the setup - better grip then stock (suede like material) and easier to get in and out. The wheel has a meatier feel to it as well.

OMP does have a limited edition model coming out for that wheel as well - check their website to see a picture. The yellow stripe is red - and "OMP" on the hub is white. I was going to get it - but couldn't wait - should be available now though.

Ben

Attachments

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dragon - I just picked that OMP up myself - Sube Sports - do a google to find it. Anyway I think everyone prices them the same - the tough part was finding one in stock. I used the Sector 111 quick disconnect - works like a champ and install was painless. Very pleased with the setup - better grip then stock (suede like material) and easier to get in and out. The wheel has a meatier feel to it as well.

OMP does have a limited edition model coming out for that wheel as well - check their website to see a picture. The yellow stripe is red - and "OMP" on the hub is white. I was going to get it - but couldn't wait - should be available now though.

Ben
I went to there site and added it to my cart and when I went to check out :(, unfortunately there site isn't set up for military APO AP addresses and they only ship via UPS. Can only ship via USPS to a military address.. :( :( I'll keep looking for someplace to get one... Thanks for the info though as it is confirmation that this is the steering wheel I'm looking for...

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
To the people saying it will change the steering ratio:

I know what you mean; you're hands will have to travel a greater distance to achieve the same steering input. But the phrase "steering ratio" isn't normally used to describe the ratio of hand distance traveled per angular degree of tire rotation. Rather, it is used to describe the angular degree of steering input per angular degree of tire rotation. This ratio doesn't change no matter what size the steering wheel is.

Sure, your hand has to travel farther, but the angular degree of input required is still the same.

xtn

1 - 20 of 26 Posts