The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Sweet! How's the quality? Any chance you could send me an iges or step file of it? ;)

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The quality is insane (too good, really). It sucks up 300 megs of RAM off the bat. So freakin slow... takes 15 minutes to render on my 1.6 ghz. I need a faster computer!

What's iges or step file?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
transio said:
What's iges or step file?
generic NURBS surface.

[shameless plug]
If you can't export iges, then you can export to Renderman RIB & buy my software to convert it back into usable geometry. ;) Granted, you have to be using Houdini to use my software.
[/shamless plug]

If the polygon count is high enough, it probably won't matter if it's nurbs or not unless you get silly with shaders.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I'm not a nurbs expert, I don't know what it's based on. I believe you're correct though, it's not polygonal. The software I use for mechanical design can import most geometric surface file formats (iges and step being the most commonly used). So, is this file polygonal or smooth? I'm trying to decide if it's worth just buying myself. If it's polygonal, I'd have to recreate all the surfaces myself in CAD using those polygons as a reference (otherwise, the surface won't be smooth).

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The body of the car is (or at least WAS) a NURBs surface. It looks like the artist reduced it to a mesh at some point. I would say it's definitely worth purchasing, though. In my experience with TurboSquid, their post-sale support is fantastic. They will contact the artist for you, and pretty much anything you need can be accomplished. I bought a model from them a couple months ago that was made in Lightwave, and wouldn't convert to MAX in high-res, so the artist actually rendered the animation for me free of charge! Contact the TS support team and ask them... I'm sure you'll be pleased. :)

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PS - I'm having a bitch of a time getting a realistic car paint material. I've tried phongs and anisotropics, but they all look "matte" no matter what I do. How do I get that glassy look in my saffron yellow ?!? Any of you 3D experts wanna give me some pointers?

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nevermind... it was a problem with my reflection map. I found a sweet tutorial for car paints. I think if I get this working well enough I might do a 3D color picker !!! How cool would that be ?!?

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First Attempt

My first attempt at Ardent Red. The paint is way to flat at present.. I'm gonna keep working on the material. This model is killing my PC, though. I'm consuming 1.5 megs of memory and 100% cpu for 30 minutes just to render one frame !!!! Insane.

Anyhow, here it is. Whaddya guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Yup, that X is definitely Ardent Red.
Can you do one in Racing Green?
Thanks!

Aw, you had to fix the link and ruin my joke...

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's attempt #2... it's got more sheen, but the reflect map aint doin it's job... I'll keep on and see what I come up with.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I'm definitely getting closer with this one.... I think a little more saturation on full brightness and I'm there.

Does anyone have ANY comments on this rendering?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Looks like Campbell's Tomato Soup to me, not Ardent Red.

Need to get rid of the color behind the grill too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
yes nurbs is non-polygonal. I was saying that if it's not nurbs or you can't export iges (only DXF or something like that), then as long is the polygon count is high, it doesn't make too much of a difference.

The renders are nice - you might want to work on lighting. Are you using MAX? Doesn't the new MAX have a global illumination rendering option? If it does, use it - it will probably take a long time to render, but it will look fantastic (maybe it's already on, it's hard to tell).

Monte Carlo style global illumination render:

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Brian,

You should definitely talk to turbosquid then. The model information says that it's nurbs. Yes, I'm using Max. I've been trying to get the color right before I start messing with lighting. I'm working on it, though. Car paint isn't easy at all :(

·
Registered
219 Posts
transio said:
Ok, another one... I got rid of the orange undertone, but now I think it's too pink.
Actually, it looks like Lotus' new "lifestyle" color for 2006, available exclusively in the United States:

US (Upriver Salmon)

:D

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
On my monitor it comes across a bit light and a toward the maroon side. The animation is really nice though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts