The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 3D printer and starting to mess with it. One of the parts I'd like to print is some sort of air vent deflector for the S4s and early V8 passenger-side air vents. (not sure if same vents are used on S4 or earlier?) My passengers are always complaining how the vents point straight up at the windshield, and it also causes un-necesssary condensation on the glass. I'd like to print off something similar to air deflectors commonly found for house a/c vents (see attached) so that the air is redirected into the cabin instead of straight upwards. Could either use double-sided tape to stick it to the edge of the vent trim, or better yet have it press snugly into the inside edge of the trim (between the outer vent trim and the movable fins)

Has anyone already designed this part already and is willing to share the .stl file? Searched the forum for 3D parts but didn't see anyone design this. Otherwise it will be a good part for me to learn CAD design. Thanks LT!

Medical equipment Rectangle Office equipment Eyelash Electric blue
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,865 Posts
I KNOW somebody did years ago. :p

Lots of pictures (like your first one) on Google...

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,715 Posts
Sorry, I have never seen this idea designed on any of the 3D print sites. It would be fairly easy and quick to design. I use Fusion 360 and could probably do it in 15 minutes but it will be a good learning experience for you. A few notes are what I really wanted to add here. I did a quick one but don't know the dimensions. I have an Elise so nothing for me to measure.
  • Do not use PLA for printing it because PLA is too low temperature a plastic to use in car interiors. Use PETG or ABS or do your own research, but not PLA. You can model it and test with PLA because it is an easy beginner filament but it will not hold up in the real world.
  • You should consider using a clear or white filament for sun exposure reasons. Clear will not be clear like your picture above but it will be a milky clear.
  • You might want to use Velcro to attach them so they can easily be removed/installed.
Electric blue Font Fashion accessory Automotive tire Carmine

Automotive design Rectangle Shade Automotive exterior Tints and shades

Rectangle Wood Composite material Stairs Tints and shades

• Helpful
Reactions: carbuff

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I have never seen this idea designed on any of the 3D print sites. It would be fairly easy and quick to design. I use Fusion 360 and could probably do it in 15 minutes but it will be a good learning experience for you. A few notes are what I really wanted to add here. I did a quick one but don't know the dimensions. I have an Elise so nothing for me to measure.
  • Do not use PLA for printing it because PLA is too low temperature a plastic to use in car interiors. Use PETG or ABS or do your own research, but not PLA. You can model it and test with PLA because it is an easy beginner filament but it will not hold up in the real world.
  • You should consider using a clear or white filament for sun exposure reasons. Clear will not be clear like your picture above but it will be a milky clear.
  • You might want to use Velcro to attach them so they can easily be removed/installed.
View attachment 1322919

View attachment 1322927

View attachment 1322928
yup, very much what I was thinking. Thanks! I downloaded both Fusion 360 and Inventor last night (my high school kid gets free licensing to all Autodesk products as a student) so will start to mess around.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,865 Posts
I found hundreds of answers right here. Most were RGT other parts of the A/C system

Heres a good one

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found hundreds of answers right here. Most were RGT other parts of the A/C system

Heres a good one

Huh? That post has nothing to do at all about 3D printing a part like we are discussing. It does talk about buying some random gauge parts and cutting them up to make something that kind of works. Not the point of this post.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I always thought it was funny (crazy?) how those vents are configured. Even on my V8 with the updated interior, I can just barely get them to point at my body when they are fully facing down.

Of course, this is from the company that warns you in the owners manual about the potential for cramping if you have cold air blowing on you too much, a problem I'm sure we all wish we had to solve. :LOL:

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,715 Posts
@flopshotgolf I sent you the design files and the .stl file for my quick hack at it to your personal email. Hope they help and keep us all informed. I will be playing with clear PETG tonight, I'll tell you how it works out (or doesn't, LOL).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts