The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
I am a member of Thingiverse but did not even know this group existed! Just joined and I will put some of my stuff up there like the funnel I put out to the group a few months back! Funnel just posted. Screws right into our valve cover so you don't have to hold it when you add oil. Fits almost all Toyota and Lexus cars too.

View attachment 1280754

View attachment 1280755
What was the outcome of those side scoops?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
As I stated earlier, I can make them but I cannot modify his files. The only files he posted were single hose ducts. I cannot change the size either. That said, they are not a complicated item to draw up in CAD and have the ability to modify them, that is to say change the size and the number of outlets. If anyone is interest, please PM me and we can discuss the project. Or I can just print what he developed and ship them. As you can see the height is 152.4 mm, width is 74.9 mm and length is 218.1 mm. Each duct will take about 18 hours to print. These are pretty big pieces....

·
Registered
2006 Exige
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

This is the link to the carpet button(hope it works). I also have an extended thread version as well. Changes are easy so if anyone has any suggestions I welcome the input.

I tried to upload the the DIY Lotus Parts group but was unsuccessful?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

This is the link to the carpet button(hope it works). I also have an extended thread version as well. Changes are easy so if anyone has any suggestions I welcome the input.

I tried to upload the the DIY Lotus Parts group but was unsuccessful?
Are you a member of Thingiverse? Upload the Thingiverse and them add to the group. It worked for me with my funnel.

·
Registered
2006 Exige
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I am, tried loading several items but none would post to the group. Deleted a couple and reloaded with the same result. I am going to keep trying. Printing your funnel now, thanks for posting!

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
368 Posts

·
Administrator
3,276 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Could you 3D print an entire wing? If so, what would the cost be roughly?
I doubt anyone on this forum has a 3D printer that large. Only corporations own that size printer. It would be awesome if someone here did have access to a huge printer thought!

·
Registered
2006 Exige K24A2 SC
96 Posts
I think the wing would be heavy. Bonding smaller pieces together likely silly. Could do DIY carbon fiber for the wing and print the uprights.

A Prusa i3 MK3S FWIW can print up to 25 x 21 x 21 cm, just choosing one of the more popular machines somewhat at random for a baseline.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I doubt anyone on this forum has a 3D printer that large. Only corporations own that size printer. It would be awesome if someone here did have access to a huge printer thought!
👋 a buddy has a 2x4’ “make it” printer. uses it for ‘bucks’ to metal shape from.

A wing is likely cheaper to just purchase from a current manufacturer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Amazing work! Is that active aero?
Thank you! Yes it is! My main drive of the project was to get the active aero installed on the curved rear clams. I have aluminum plates right below the mounts and structure that supports the mounts connected where the frame mounts to the clamshell. Each mount(four total) took 8h to print.

One can slice large formats into printable pieces then glue it together but 3d printing isn’t there yet for weight savings but I have seen people 3D print internal structure then skin it with CF.

tinsel strength of polycarbonate is 9,800 psi with CF fibers would be more.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I've designed and printed front and rear speaker blanking plates, side intake air scoops (for the I/C), and intake air scoops for front brake ducts. My side intakes are a bit extra wide to fit my wider-than-stock side scoops. The front brake scoops fit the front-side intakes on the Exige. I used ShapeWays for printing. If there's any interest, I can make the STL's available.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I've designed and printed front and rear speaker blanking plates, side intake air scoops (for the I/C), and intake air scoops for front brake ducts. My side intakes are a bit extra wide to fit my wider-than-stock side scoops. The front brake scoops fit the front-side intakes on the Exige. I used ShapeWays for printing. If there's any interest, I can make the STL's available.
You should join the Lotus Group in Thingivers so we can all share them!

Reactions: brokensword

·
Administrator
3,276 Posts
Thank you! Yes it is! My main drive of the project was to get the active aero installed on the curved rear clams. I have aluminum plates right below the mounts and structure that supports the mounts connected where the frame mounts to the clamshell. Each mount(four total) took 8h to print.

One can slice large formats into printable pieces then glue it together but 3d printing isn’t there yet for weight savings but I have seen people 3D print internal structure then skin it with CF.

I've wondered why I hadn't seen them in use before with Elise hit hard on straight with a big wing and how much they could benefit along with big splitter up front. Great work will be interesting to hear your feedback after testing.

Reactions: brokensword

·
Registered
210 Posts
Could you possibly get with rapid lotus below and have him look at your files for the extra wide side scoops?

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
368 Posts

Wow active aero that’s awesome!! Is it an air cylinder or servo activated.How is it controlled?
Are you planning on putting wing into stall while braking?
Sounds like cf/polycarbonate should be well over 10k psi, plenty strong for most things.

·
Administrator
3,276 Posts
Wow active aero that’s awesome!! Is it an air cylinder or servo activated.How is it controlled?
Are you planning on putting wing into stall while braking?
Sounds like cf/polycarbonate should be well over 10k psi, plenty strong for most things.
I did read a while back someone else building a over the top Lotus using one Hennessy or Profera.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts