The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just upgraded my rear speakers from the stock 5.25" to new 6.5" speakers, to make them fit without modifying the rear interior panel I ended up printing some adapter brackets. Don't know how many of you have access to 3d printers but I figured I would share the STLs with you all, this forum has saved me a lot of time on various maintenance and repair tasks.

These particular adapters were were designed for Alpine R-S65.2 speakers. They re-use the stock hardware to mount to the interior panel and use M4 screws (with heat set inserts) to mount the speakers. I would assume the dimensions are similar for most other 6.5" speakers and they can be used interchangeably.

Here is a link to the onshape model. It has been parameterized so if you need to change the height, hole spacing, or hole diameter use the variables at the top of the feature tree.

Here is a link to the STL.

One thing to watch out for is clearance with the drivers seat, when fully reclined it may interfere with the speaker grill. There appears to be plenty of space on the passenger side.

IMG_6369.JPG
image of adapter with M4 inserts
IMG_6371.JPG
adapter and speaker
IMG_6374.JPG
installed in car

Let me know if you have any thoughts or questions.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Very well done! I saved the file and links for the time when I upgrade my rear speakers. Do you use Onshape to do all your designs? I have never tried it, how do you like it? Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Did the 6.5 help in bass vs the 5.25? I get almost no bass out of these speakers due to the fact there is nothing for a baffle other than a sheet of pollyfill or some kind of a fiberglass insulation (in the exige anyways). I added small foam baffles from a stereo shop and that didn't really help either...

I'd love to get more base and mids out of those speakers..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you use Onshape to do all your designs? I have never tried it, how do you like it? Thanks for sharing.
I typically use Onshape for my personal projects, I find the controls/interface easier to use than SolidWorks and its more than capable for simple parts and assemblies. The file sharing and versioning that were built in from day one are super helpful too, SolidWorks PDM vault is still a complete mess. I end up resorting to SolidWorks when I have to do large assemblies (25+ parts) or complex drawings, seems like performance was one of the major downsides to it being entirely browser based.

Did the 6.5 help in bass vs the 5.25?
Not as much as I would have liked, I mean its definitely an improvement but it still sounds pretty flat. There is really no space for the sub in the car so I was considering mounting some "bass shakers" to the seats, I think they did this on one of the old 90s miatas. Probably will test it out with something cheap like this one, I can pick one up for $20 on Amazon. If anyone has tried them out please let me know how they have worked.

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
345 Posts
My music comes from the 1.8 at 7,000 RPM's :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts