The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made many parts for various cars with my 3d printer. I just made hardtop spacers for my 05 Elise (top is ALMOST loose even when tightened, no its not going to fall off) and am wrapping up a cupholder design (no car modification necessary).

Is there anything anyone has seen that is useful or anything anybody would need? I am on a designing kick right now and am about to run out of things to make.

if this thread is somewhere else, i cant find it.

· Registered
830 Posts
I would really like foldable mirrors. I'm tired of bumping my hip on the mirror as I walk past the car in the garage, and worrying that it'll break off.

I'm also working on the CAD for this (starting with a 3D scan of the mirror), but maybe you can beat me to it or come up with a better design? After all, drawing complex surfaces is not easy for me (in FreeCAD). If you want I can throw the rough scan onto the shared Lotus DIY thingiverse as a starting point.

· Registered
2005 Elise
412 Posts
I would really like foldable mirrors. I'm tired of bumping my hip on the mirror as I walk past the car in the garage, and worrying that it'll break off.

I'm also working on the CAD for this (starting with a 3D scan of the mirror), but maybe you can beat me to it or come up with a better design? After all, drawing complex surfaces is not easy for me (in FreeCAD). If you want I can throw the rough scan onto the shared Lotus DIY thingiverse as a starting point.

What are you using to 3D Scan?

· Registered
830 Posts
I bought a Creality CR scan 01 earlier this year in order to replace a first gen 3D Systems sense scanner. Neither product is fantastic, but with enough repetition, some objects can be scanned to acceptable quality. The real strength of the new scanner in comparison to the old one, in my opinion, is the ability to combine multiple scans in software and to edit the point cloud of the aligned, aggregated scans before making an *.obj file. In that regard, the functionality of the Sense was really unacceptable because the entire object needed to be scanned in a single run.

The Sense was an IR dot array with low resolution visible camera texture overlay, and the CR scan 01 is a patterned visible light strobe, with visible camera texture overlay.

Thin objects, transparent objects, objects with small features all do not scan well with either hardware. But the mirror plinth, being a smooth surface with large features, comes out well enough.

At one point I tried to scan the entire Elise with the Sense, but the position tracking was poor so I struggled to make an aggregate scan in Meshmixer. I still have those scans, but don't think they're good enough to share. I will eventually try to scan the whole car with the new scanner too. I think it would be fun to be able to 3D print models of the car, or even see if I can use an stl mesh in an open source CFD software like OpenFOAM. But those ideas are a bit pie in the sky.

In the case of the door mirror, since I only planned on using the scans as a starting point for making CAD I stopped collecting scan data before the components were really nice looking. I also did not spend any time in meshmixer to clean them up. Instead of scanning the whole assembly, I took apart the plinth, housing and mirror (whoever designed the assembly is a jerk for putting those tabs along with the snap clips) and scanned the components individually. This resulted in very poor scan quality around the thin edges and interior of the housing where the thin-featured spring mechanism resides.

Automotive design Synthetic rubber Material property Font Auto part

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's great stuff with the scanner. I do not currently possess a 3d scanner but am considering one.

If you upload the file to that place, I can certainly try to see what I can do. I have always started from scratch and used other measurement tools to ensure a good fit but im sure that would take so much time out of it.

My mirror actually has a Crack in the plastic mirror trim so I was going to be trying something like that anyway.

Other projects I am considering:
-Key fob plastic part
-small front and rear grill
-12v outlet hub
- common lost knobs

· Registered
8,072 Posts
I bought a Creality CR scan 01 earlier this year in order to replace a first gen 3D Systems sense scanner. Neither product is fantastic, but with enough repetition, some objects can be scanned to acceptable quality. The real strength of the new scanner in comparison to the old one, in my opinion, is the ability to combine multiple scans in software and to edit the point cloud of the aligned, aggregated scans before making an *.obj file. In that regard, the functionality of the Sense was really unacceptable because the entire object needed to be scanned in a single run.

The Sense was an IR dot array with low resolution visible camera texture overlay, and the CR scan 01 is a patterned visible light strobe, with visible camera texture overlay.

Thin objects, transparent objects, objects with small features all do not scan well with either hardware. But the mirror plinth, being a smooth surface with large features, comes out well enough.

At one point I tried to scan the entire Elise with the Sense, but the position tracking was poor so I struggled to make an aggregate scan in Meshmixer. I still have those scans, but don't think they're good enough to share. I will eventually try to scan the whole car with the new scanner too. I think it would be fun to be able to 3D print models of the car, or even see if I can use an stl mesh in an open source CFD software like OpenFOAM. But those ideas are a bit pie in the sky.

In the case of the door mirror, since I only planned on using the scans as a starting point for making CAD I stopped collecting scan data before the components were really nice looking. I also did not spend any time in meshmixer to clean them up. Instead of scanning the whole assembly, I took apart the plinth, housing and mirror (whoever designed the assembly is a jerk for putting those tabs along with the snap clips) and scanned the components individually. This resulted in very poor scan quality around the thin edges and interior of the housing where the thin-featured spring mechanism resides.

View attachment 1303724
If you find you can scan the entire car, I’d love a few 1/32 scale to use as slot car bodies.

· Registered
758 Posts
Lots of full Elise models here:

· Registered
Adding lightness with an angle grinder.
327 Posts
What is your table size? I have some spoiler spacer designs that should fit most small printers

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is your table size? I have some spoiler spacer designs that should fit most small printers
I have a bit less than a foot right now. I am getting a much larger printer eventually, but want to get a few projects stored up before I get one.

what kind of spoiler are you thinking about? I have an APR on mine and it came with the spacers

· Registered
327 Posts
I have a bit less than a foot right now. I am getting a much larger printer eventually, but want to get a few projects stored up before I get one.

what kind of spoiler are you thinking about? I have an APR on mine and it came with the spacers
Mostly non Lotus stuff. I have several for Toyotas, Fords etc... If you are willing to do a decent size batch I could make it worth your while. I have a bunch of ZZW30 owners who expressed interest in a 3D printed riser (maybe 20 people). The stupid OE spoiler tends to make contact with the body if the engine cover gets slammed.

· Registered
400 Posts
I have made many parts for various cars with my 3d printer. I just made hardtop spacers for my 05 Elise (top is ALMOST loose even when tightened, no its not going to fall off) and am wrapping up a cupholder design (no car modification necessary).

Is there anything anyone has seen that is useful or anything anybody would need? I am on a designing kick right now and am about to run out of things to make.

if this thread is somewhere else, i cant find it.

Curious as to what the hardtop spacer you made looks like.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Curious as to what the hardtop spacer you made looks like.
the top starts to get loose overtime and there is no adjustment to make it tighter. Its literally a thin ABS piece that will fit in-between the top and mounting bracket. Its basically the size of a nickel. My thingverse account has to wait 24 hrs before I can upload, but I will take a picture of what I mean when I remember this week.

· Registered
327 Posts
In case you're wondering what the spoiler spacers would look like. These would be very similar for the Lotus applications.

Automotive lighting Art Font Logo Jewellery

Automotive lighting Rectangle Auto part Font Body jewelry

Automotive lighting Kitchen utensil Automotive tire Automotive design Gesture

1 - 20 of 109 Posts