The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up the Makerbot 5th gen 3d printer and have been doing alot of parts for many things. Many people are using it for mock up parts to test fit before getting them done in metal. If anyone needs something printed it up, let me know. I have almost any base true color, transparent and glow in the dark. The max size is 25.2 L X 19.9 W X 15.0 H CM [9.9 X 7.8 X 5.9 IN.]

The parts can be made solid or weaved internally for lightness or for strength. The format for the part design is .stl file but I can also convert most .cad files into what I need. You can also use sites like tinkercad or 123dapp to make them. Here is a couple picks of a flange I made for someone to mock fit.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
The venture capital firm I left last summer was one of the primary investors in Makerbot so I've had every one of their machine since the first ToM (Thing-o-Matic) that myself and a few partners assembled. All the early machines had very high failure rates, I worked with the Replicator 2 (last one I played with) and even it was a 50+% failure rate. How as yours been?

Sharing with Vulcan Gray as he's doing a lot of 3D printing himself...

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have a Solidoodle 2. It was lame out of the box, but the nice part about 3d printers is you can make more parts for the printer using the printer! A friend has a SeeMeCnC Rostock Max which is really something else.

It's really nice to be able to make stuff like this:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/oe-center-caps-rota-torques-3d-printed-adapters-221489/

Without needing to use any machine tools or spend money. Also good for weird tools - I couldn't find a Koni shock adjuster for my other car one day, so I just printed one up instead.

The hardest part is learning enough CAD to print parts. The cheaper printers like mine also require babysitting and probably 20-30% of parts I make either need a tweak to the design before they'll print right or fail to print due to machine failure. It's not quite as "make whatever you can imagine" as I first dreamed, but still awesome nonetheless.

I'm happy to print small parts for anyone in the Boulder area - I can only print about 5in x 5in x 4in safely, but once my friend gets his Rostock Max up and running again I will have access to more build area.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far haven't had any real problem other than some oddities with software and features that is was "supposed" to come with like WiFi printing. All advertisements stated WiFi enabled then when opening the box it had a little card that said "WiFi coming soon with firmware update"

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
I recently built a Mini Kossel Delta 3D printer.

So far it has been more reliable than my HP inkjet printers... Mine never jams or fails. Well I did break an extruder part, but I had already made extras just in case. Now I know how to set my tension better.

I had a few failed prints before I figured out to use Elmers School disappearing purple glue stick on the glass. Now nothing breaks free, that stuff is magical if you haven't tried it. I can clean the glue, re-apply, and begin printing another part within a minute of the last part finishing.

Since mine isn't a bought printer, and I built it, it took a little while to get my slic3r settings to where I like them, but it's printing some pretty good results now.

Here's my most recent, giving it to my nephew.

while printing

another recent one

More for another nephew and a friend (I can get better quality now).

I have printed a few tools with it, a protective cap for my turbo in the Lotus while I have my chargecooler removed. Also a GoPro knob wrench for a friend. And a knob for my PC racing simulator wheels stand. The original knob shattered in my hand, so I made this replacement, which feels better and stronger.

I use CAD every day, so now that I have confidence in the printer, I'll be sure to be making more stuff from now on.

I actually have plans to upgrade my printer with a heated bed for more difficult materials like ABS and Nylon, and I am planning on doing 3 extruders so I can print in 3 different colors or materials at a time.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Wow, you got that printing well. Sweet build!

Heated bed is a must. Nylon is really cool. Depending on what temp you extrude at the feel and finish of the Nylon result changes a lot.

I use hair spray for ABS and PLA. I like it because it peels off easily between prints. It is hard to get Nylon to stick well without sticking too well - Hair spray won't hold it, glue stick is okay but big prints still want to curl away, masking tape is decent but thick enough to require PITA z axis calibration, and Garolite board stuck so well I kept breaking my prints trying to remove them. Still working on that one...

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
what the hell? that's some cool stuff!

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've had a Printrbot for a year now. My next 3D printer will be dual extruder. Possible an Ultimaker II when they bring the dual extruder out for that. The print quality is significantly better than Makerbot.

Plus they don't steal ideas from the open community. Has MakerBot Crossed The Line? For Some, Yes

Alternatively, I might go for a Type A machines printer. They have a huge print volume, plus they're a great bunch of guys with some cool innovations in the works.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I'm still waiting for my makibox a6.

sigh. hope its not vaporware.

·
Registered
988 Posts
would be nice to see the AC surround modeled and printed. Bit worried about materials and print resolution. I considered trying it for my nexus 7 tablet project but sticking with a hot knife for now.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Those are some great models. I've been very interested in the Makerbot but haven't pulled the trigger. I do have a Solidscape printer that I use for my jewelry business. It prints in a material that I can go straight to casting with but it is very fragile and is best for small parts.

I did design and produce a cup holder for my Esprit. I outsourced the printing to Cubify and had it done in I believe the linen material. I'd be happy to post the file for personal use only (I'm keeping the copyright) if anyone is interested in making one.

Please let me know if you make one, I'd love to know how it comes out on other machines and materials.

David

[URL]

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
I've had a Printrbot for a year now. My next 3D printer will be dual extruder. Possible an Ultimaker II when they bring the dual extruder out for that. The print quality is significantly better than Makerbot.

Plus they don't steal ideas from the open community. Has MakerBot Crossed The Line? For Some, Yes

Alternatively, I might go for a Type A machines printer. They have a huge print volume, plus they're a great bunch of guys with some cool innovations in the works.
So from reading the article and a few comments seems this is completely out of context and they didn't take anything from the community that they didn't credit, as they couldn't have (or at least they would have easily lost in court). To be clear I have zero skin in this as I left that VC firm over a year ago, just don't like seeing FUD around...

·
Registered
945 Posts
So from reading the article and a few comments seems this is completely out of context and they didn't take anything from the community that they didn't credit, as they couldn't have (or at least they would have easily lost in court). To be clear I have zero skin in this as I left that VC firm over a year ago, just don't like seeing FUD around...
That isn't the first time Makerbot took flak - Makerbot started as an Open Source hardware company, then some of the founders decided to go take VC money, closing up development and kicking the other founder out in the process: MakerBot vs. Open Source – A Founder Perspective .

As soon as they took VC money the writing was on the wall in terms of patents - with VC money you have to generate disproportionate value, the way you generate value in hardware is through hardware implementation, and they way you assign IP value to hardware implementation is through patents.

I know a lot of people who have gotten burned by the open-to-VC-money-to-closed model in software, so I don't buy Makerbot stuff either. It sure is nice though...

·
Premium Member
11,985 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,985 Posts
McLaren F1 Team Will 3D-Print New Parts Trackside

The technology will let McLaren test brand-new designs almost immediately.

Formula One is known as an innovation sport where where even the tiniest advantage could mean the difference between victory and defeat. Now, McLaren is working to make the process of testing new designs even quicker, by bringing an entire 3D printer to every race.

The McLaren Formula One team confirmed it has partnered up with 3D printing firm Stratasys to print parts for the MCL32 F1 car on-site during race weekends, starting at the Bahrain Grand Prix next week. Parts like carbon-fiber reinforced hydraulic lines, radio cables, brake cooling ducts, and even rear wing flaps can be printed using the new setup.

"We are consistently modifying and improving our Formula 1 car designs, so the ability to test new designs quickly is critical to making the car lighter and more importantly increasing the number of tangible iterations in improved car performance," said McLaren Racing Design and Development Director Neil Oatley. "If we can bring new developments to the car one race earlier—going from new idea to new part in only a few days—this will be a key factor in making the McLaren MCL32 more competitive."

This means McLaren can develop, print, and implement a new part, all in a single race weekend. If that's not an advantage, we don't know what is.

via Engadget

McLaren F1 Team Will 3D-Print New Parts Trackside

1 - 17 of 17 Posts