The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, whenever Autostrada calls me up and says "your car will be here on ________", i'll be buying a 1-way plane ticket 5 minutes later.

But, since I have to drive it from Austin to Omaha, i'd like some protection for the front end.

What do you guys think the possibility of the current 3M Clear Bra being able to fit on the front end of the USDM car? I'm 99% sure the usual hood/fender/mirrors one would fit, but i'm doubting the fit of the large 'full front-end' one.

what about a normal leather-type bra? Never seen one of those to my knowledge...

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
>what about a normal leather-type bra

Don't do it... they trap dust and grime, then act as a buffer while you drive the car... grinding, rubbing, sanding your paint off. Not to mention they are big moisture traps.

The 3M product, or helicopter tape, is the way to go. I'm driving mine home inter-state too, I'll probably wax the car before I leave so that it has a little protection.

T.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Bras will only trap whatever dirt is already there. Clean the car first, and a tight fitting bra should keep dirt and dust out, right? Besides, whatever harm it may do will pale in comparison to that done without any protection at all. The helicopter tape is an interesting idea, I think Griots Garage sells rolls of that stuff. Might be a nice temporary solution for road trips, but still, I think I'd still prefer a vinyl bra I could put on quickly.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
MattG-

you are right, in theory, that it would keep dust out. In reality, the bras never completely seal out road grime. (I suppose if someone were to create one with butyl rubber seals or something, it could work).

Plus, (offend mode ON), bras are tacky looking. (offend mode OFF).

T.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have a guy here in Atlanta that buys the 3m stuff by the roll. He custom fits the sheets to the car. I have had my Jeep worked on by these guys and they do great work. I have seen some cars that they used the product on and you really can't see any seams. I just don't know how wax does on it.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Not to change the subject too much, but why drive your car home long distances before it's properly broken in?

Why not use a covered transport? Ultra low chance of damage from rock, bird, bunny, armadillo, drunk SUV, etc; and you can do a proper break-in when you get home.

just curious?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
HI Samurai,
I've used the 3m stuff for years on different areas of my motorcycles. Waxing it is no problem, the wax helps to take minute scratches out of the film just as it does the paint.

I've pulled the film off after a couple years with no difficulty and revealing perfect paint underneath.
CHris

·
Registered
307 Posts
That's what I've heard. It sounds like a great product. This guys showed me a Jag that had the film applied. He even showed me a spot where he married two sheet together and I could hardly see the line. This shop is recomended by my insurance company and they have been with my company for the longest period of any place in Georgia. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have them apply it to mine when it get here. They did say they could do a group deal, but I don't think it will work since people will get their cars in at different times.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
just use a ton of blue painter's tape, followed by a layer of racer's tape for the Austin-Omaha trip...then get the clearbra applied

PS, where are you on the list at Autostrada? I'm an Austinite myself.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I found a place in North Carolina (Invinca-Shield - they have a website) that sells pre-cut kits. Believe it or not, they have the Elise.

I have never bought anything from these guys, but they look pretty professional. Hope this helps :)

·
Supporting Vendor
4,107 Posts
Yes, pre-cut kits will be available here in the US.

I worked at 3M Co for 10 yrs. I know this product well. It is excellent. It is actually a urethane film. I've applied it to my cars and motorcycles over the years with great results.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Thomasio said:
you are right, in theory, that it would keep dust out. In reality, the bras never completely seal out road grime.
Probably true. Still, my preference is to use them for a day or two at a time, when forced to transit from point A to point B along freeways on a road trip. With that technique, paint damage should be minimal.

Plus, (offend mode ON), bras are tacky looking. (offend mode OFF).
Hey, I totally agree! It's not something to make your car look good when it's wearing it...it's to make your car look great when you take it OFF. I'll put up with it for short periods if it means fewer paint chips.

·
Registered
971 Posts
ACE3,
You might want to send Andrew an E-mail there at Autostrada, when I talked to him earlier he said he was going to look into offering the Stongard installation/application at Autostrada.

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was just thinking about the leather-type one for the trip home, and that was about it. I don't much care for the looks of 'em either, but it sure would help out.

atyclb: Last time I talked to Andrew, i was #18. That was quite some time ago, so hopefully it's dropped a bit. ;)

Lumn8r: Good idea. I'll do it. Sure would be nice if they could have it installed by the time i went down to pick it up. :D

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
ace3 said:
i'll be buying a 1-way plane ticket 5 minutes later.
Man the last time I flew one way was an absolute nightmare. You're almost better off buying a R/T ticket (almost same price these days anyway) and burning the other half.

·
Registered
971 Posts
ace3 said:
atyclb: Last time I talked to Andrew, i was #18. That was quite some time ago, so hopefully it's dropped a bit. ;)

Lumn8r: Good idea. I'll do it. Sure would be nice if they could have it installed by the time i went down to pick it up. :D
I think you've moved up, since I'm #18 now. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts