The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just talked to Alan Seligman (407) 927-1900 about patterns for the Elise and he said that he had already been contacted by the company that has the contract with Lotus to install kits at PORT!

He is flying to California in a couple of weeks to undergo training and then will be working on 40 cars at a time at port. He sent me a pattern sheet which I will attach here.

He did not know whether or not dealers were going to charge extra for this, if all cars were being done, etc. but will let me know as soon as he receives his training and starts doing installs. He was told to expect cars in port the first or second week of June.

Here's the kit pattern:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Looks like a nice kit, but I don't see the lower rocker panel (beneath the doors) protection which Arno has said is the most battered portion of the car.

Whoops- Unless that's the portion covered in "Kit C".

·
Registered
711 Posts
JD, if you are refering the area just in front of the back wheels, I believe that is standard. This kit is an option. However, that wouldn't prevent this kit from also having a peice for that area.

Has anyone heard any accurate information about the cost of the install?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking at the kit I'd estimate it to be around $500. The question is, will Lotus provide this for free to everyone as included in the price of the car, or are all the cars going to arrive at the dealership with a $500 port-installed option tacked on?

Since I can only imagine that buyer's didn't have an option to choose to have this done or not, it would be troubling if Lotus just went and did it to every car coming into port and then passed the charges on to the buyer.

As much as I like the material and the protection it provides, I realize it isn't for everyone and people shouldn't be forced to buy it. Like I said, I'll report more information as I receive it, which will be after Alan has his training I imagine. I think it is funny that they want to "train" the person who is probably on of the best, if not the best installer in the U.S. for this material, but I guess they want it done their way...

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
What we were told at the LA Auto Show was that this kit would be a dealer option, but it would require you selecting the option at the time of your order because then they would not install the standard film in front of the rear wheels.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Having never owned a clear bra before...

How easy is a clear bra to replace without damaging the paint from the bra application/aging/removal? Also, won't the paint "weather/age/discolor" differently, over time, by use of a permanent bra like this?

Thank you,
Dave

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I certainly wasn't asked if I wanted this option when I placed my order.

While it seems like a useful thing to have, I don't want something that will leave noticeable seams on the car. On the other hand, I don't want a lot of noticeable dings either. But I don't really want to fork out another $500, either.

Undecided.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
jml1952 said:
I certainly wasn't asked if I wanted this option when I placed my order.

While it seems like a useful thing to have, I don't want something that will leave noticeable seams on the car. On the other hand, I don't want a lot of noticeable dings either. But I don't really want to fork out another $500, either.

Undecided.
I feel the same way about it, but I think it will pay for itself over the long run. I'm getting it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Having never owned a clear bra before...
IMHO, I think the clear bra material is worth it's weight in gold! Maybe more! (Esp. since the clear bra material doesn't weight much at all.)

I have seen many folks in the Ferrari club with the clear bra material on and it hasn't discolored. It's easy to remove and replace as necessary. (I'd have a professional do it, though.) I know on my Mach 1, the clear bra material has already paid for itself. A gravel truck pulled into my lane and peppered my front-end with gravel before I could switch lanes. (Thanks to traffic on either side of me! Argh..) But I suffered no damage to the clear bra protected areas. The black vinyl decal on my hood took a stone chip though.

I plan to have my local Clear Bra installer do my car. I have seen his kit and it's a bit more comprehensive and includes the headlights and fog lights (if I go for it.)

Bob

·
Registered
262 Posts
rtking said:
IMHO, I think the clear bra material is worth it's weight in gold! Maybe more! (Esp. since the clear bra material doesn't weight much at all.)

Bob
Thank you for the info!
Dave

·
Registered
262 Posts
Later Apex said:
XO,

PM Me and I can send you some links to clear bra install photos and write-ups about the material, installs, etc.
Sounds great...please post link or email!
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
178 Posts
cost

My dealer mentioned it as a worthwhile option when I decided to place a deposit. When I ordered, I didn't think about it. A couple weeks later, I stopped at the dealership and he showed me a new Maserati with the film on it. I was under the impression thay installed it or had it done there. (Midwestern Auto Group). I didn't think to ask what it cost and it was on a silver car. I ordered Nightfall Blue and wonder if it will show up more. Having had a car with painted bumpers that don't seem to look bad after a couple years and 25,000 miles, I'm not sure I need the film.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Re: cost

Less Moore said:
Having had a car with painted bumpers that don't seem to look bad after a couple years and 25,000 miles, I'm not sure I need the film.
There *may* be a difference though (I don't know, just surmising).

If your car is a painted rubberish bumper, it might resists rock chipping better because the paint coating is also flexible and it can absorb some of the impact.

The Elise is a very stiff clam and may not be so easy when hit by small rocks. I have seen pics of the Elise in the UK and the front lower clam looked blasted and was noticeable in darker cars specially.

·
Registered
971 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
Looks like it would be easier just to ask, who was offered this option at the time of order. I know I wasn't.
I was told that it would be an option. Although I had asked about it since there is a lot of gravel around here. And the people who I have talked to who have it on their vehicles are quite happy with it. I would never have known that my sister had it on her Honda if she hadn't pointed it out to me.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Re: Re: cost

Randy Chase said:
I have seen pics of the Elise in the UK and the front lower clam looked blasted and was noticeable in darker cars specially.
Also made worse on dark cars because the fibreglass underneath the paint is white, so any chips on a dark car become quite visible. Black cars are obviously the worst in this respect...

On a light car (orange, yellow, silver, etc.) it's much less noticable.

Bye, Arno.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts