The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Colorado and my Elise is coming from Prinston, N.J [ #24 ]. I would like to drive it back to Denver and have the clear coat bra, etc. put on by mark at IDS.He is the best installer in the country. Does anyone know the best way to protect the paint driving it back all that way? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
It's definitely not good on skin. My girlfriend and I were looking for an alternative to duct tape, but I still had problems several hours later when I tried to remove it from her wrists. I guess we'll go back to using my silk ties or rope.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
probably the most useful info we've gotten in a whilerotfl

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
LOL! What the hell is up with the M3 & Porsche. Looks like paper mache, however the hell you spell that.

atyclb
is that your M3? Is that Rusnak Porsche in Pasadena?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Mr T, I have been thinking about the same thing although my drive home will only be about 7 hours.
In the past for autocross cone protection, I have used 2 types of contact paper. The contact paper I found has a very low stick adhesive that doesnt seem to leave resisdue at all. What I have done is taken large amounts of it and spray painted it to somewhat match my car. Then cut pieces to fit. Also its tend to be *somewhat* compliant so it can somewhat shape to concave surfaces. Also I have found clear contact paper (its not really paper of course) found with contact paper in stores like walmart. This stuff is not real compliant and has even less sticky adhesive and not compliant so it doesnt stick well unless the surface is not concave at all.
You could bring a bottle Maguires spray wax/detailer, and use that on any surface you would apply the contact paper,to help insure you can get it of easily if you are worried about residue.

·
Registered
368 Posts
mr t said:
I live in Colorado and my Elise is coming from Prinston, N.J [ #24 ]. I would like to drive it back to Denver and have the clear coat bra, etc. put on by mark at IDS.He is the best installer in the country. Does anyone know the best way to protect the paint driving it back all that way? Thanks for the help.
With all due respect to Mark at IDS, I believe ALAN SELIGMAN at ISI is the best installer in the country, or at least he has two things going for him:

1) Awards
2) The contract to do the installs at port (Jacksonville) for the incoming Elise's.

If I were you, I'd make sure your dealership has Alan do the install at port so that your car has the material on the moment it arrives and will have been done by a top notch installer.

FWIW, Alan is in KC this weekend doing some cars if you are in the area, PM me and I'll provide you with the details in case you want to watch him perform his magic.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Snowphun said:
Probably missed it, but does anyone know how much the port installed clear bra will cost?

Paul
More than a bra. it covers the lower panels of the door and the area around the intakes behind the doors.

$1200.00

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Randy Chase said:
More than a bra. it covers the lower panels of the door and the area around the intakes behind the doors.

$1200.00
so, is it actually going to be installed at the port?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes, installs will be done at port, although I spoke to Alan yesterday and he has not heard back on the Elise training session they want him to do yet before he starts doing the cars in port. Probably due to Lotus not having any cars over here for him to work on yet or something like that. I'm sure I'll hear more soon as I was told today expect cars at dealers June 28-30th.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts