The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Word as of this morning (6/22). The dealer demo cars are being scheduled for the 3M application, at the port, for the second week of July. They are all going to have the application so that it can be marketed to prospective buyers.

What it includes: A coating on the lower half of the front clam shell (from the accent crease that runs below the headlights and then around the badge on down. It then moves toward the rear of the car and follows the sam line as it crosses the front wheel well and intersects the door. The entire sill is covered, not just the areas direct adjacent to the wheel wells. The areas to the rear of the rear wells are also covered and this peice will be custom fit to each car. The driving mirrors are completely covered as well. The entire set is lazer cut and CAD designed to fit the car perfectly.

The Price: $995 (not the $1,200 previously thought)

To compare that with what others charge, Mazda offers a "wax treatment" which lasts about 3 years for the RX-8 and costs $700. This doesn't protect the car from chips, just the paint from fading. Porsche also offers a treatment for the Boxster and 911, both which cost more. Needless to say niether LCU noir your dealer are making a killing on this and frankly is should be a must have for anyone who plans on actually driving their Elise. The coating will also help to keep your cars value high for resale. Could you get some local guy to do it for less, probably, but this application is covered by Lotus and the applicator will come and fix it themselves if anything ever goes wrong. It's also important to know that the application will take place in a controlled environment where we won't be getting any stray flies forever memorialized in the film. This is something your local "back of the van" applicator can't protect you against.

Unfortunetly those of us who already have our orders in will have to order the film verbally with our dealers. Within the next few months, a new computerized ordering system will be in place and will allow buyers to select the option at the time of order.

Also just announced is a winter tire factory option which will be available for standard suspensioned cars. Specifications will be released shortly by LCU.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
I don't think you guys should be given the option of having the elise without the film... The paint work is on top of fibreglass so it comes off more easily than regular car paintwork, and to top that off the elise is low and usually travelling quite fast - the front of my car has no armorfend and it looks quite shabby now because of that (in fact, I am likely to respray it - at a cost of perhaps £500) - so I applaud Lotus for doing this.

A note to those of you who say "but I don't want it".. you will regret not going for it.

Craigy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Craigy,
That's good to have confirm from you.

Chris
I'm at a team enduro karting event this evening but it I had my camera I'd take a picture of the front of my elise... It would frighten you guys so much I'd be surprised if any of you even considered not ordering the film!

Craigy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
atyclb said:
they oughta put you guys on the payroll :p
Sure, if they need a couple of testers alongside :bow: Gavan :bow: and :bow: Alasdair:bow: , I'm sure we could help.

I could be the hamfisted driver, the guy who spins at every corner....

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Craigy
 

·
Forum Founder
Joined
·
29,081 Posts
Not manditory. Customer can order this with their car in the future. For now the dealers should be calling their customers asking IF they want it. It is port installed. It covers the ENTIRE sill, front clam and half way up the nose, Mirrors and the area behind the rear wheels(remember no mud flaps on the rear). The MSRP is 995.00.
5 year parts and labor warranty. 3M film.
 

·
Forum Founder
Joined
·
29,081 Posts
I would like to think the price change from 1200 to 995 was helped along by comments here. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Not manditory. Customer can order this with their car in the future. For now the dealers should be calling their customers asking IF they want it. It is port installed. It covers the ENTIRE sill, front clam and half way up the nose, Mirrors and the area behind the rear wheels(remember no mud flaps on the rear). The MSRP is 995.00.
5 year parts and labor warranty. 3M film.
I'm curious as to why it's not put on in Hethel.

Any ideas?

Craigy
 

·
Forum Founder
Joined
·
29,081 Posts
Derek said:
I'm not sure the $1,200 number was ever anything more than a guess.
Maybe. The same person telling us $995 was the same person emphatically saying it was going to be $1200 two weeks ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,230 Posts
In my experience with the Exige - you need the suff to cover almost the entire door and all of the area between the door and the rear wheel.

The areas on my car that are really bad are inside the front wheel arch behind the wheel, the entire side of the car and inside the rear wheel arch behind the wheel. The front of my car is holding up pretty good, but I try not to get right behind people on the track - I sit back and get a run and pass them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
meat said:
In my experience with the Exige - you need the suff to cover almost the entire door and all of the area between the door and the rear wheel.

The areas on my car that are really bad are inside the front wheel arch behind the wheel, the entire side of the car and inside the rear wheel arch behind the wheel. The front of my car is holding up pretty good, but I try not to get right behind people on the track - I sit back and get a run and pass them.
I've done 42K road miles (ie. with people driving towards me on the opposite side of the road) and my car's got a lot more stonechips on the driver's side of the front clam than anywhere else. Pretty much all of these are directly below the headlights.

Craigy
 

·
Forum Founder
Joined
·
29,081 Posts
But don't use power buffers or high pressure sprays on it.
 

·
Forum Founder
Joined
·
29,081 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Maybe. The same person telling us $995 was the same person emphatically saying it was going to be $1200 two weeks ago.
Better reason:

There was going to be a lower price option and a higher price with the amount of coverage being different. I do recall being told this. There was a decision made to just combine those offerings into one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Randy Chase said:
Better reason:

There was going to be a lower price option and a higher price with the amount of coverage being different. I do recall being told this. There was a decision made to just combine those offerings into one.
Yes and actually 3 different levels!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,834 Posts
I'm still trying to picture what the coverage will look like.

Is this accurate? Or a little more than actual coverage?

(see pic in next post too)
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
Top