The Lotus Cars Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am selling Plug-N-Play 3rd brake light flashers for our 06' and newer Elise and Exige with LED 3rd brake lights. Will also work on 05' Elise and Exige if you have upgraded the assembly to a LED 3rd brake light assembly. When braking, it will fast blinking (strobe like) 4 times, then slow blinking 4 times, and then when flashing is completed, it will stay on steadily. This 3rd Brake light flasher creates brake flashing effect from third brake light to catch the attention of drivers behind. The flasher module is a microprocessor based circuit specifically designed for third brake light operations and packaged in a very tiny package so it can fit inside the third brake light assembly.

I have assembled these using factory style connectors so installation is very easy. Just remove the two screws holding the 3rd brake light in place, disconnect the light from the car's harness, then insert this flasher in between. Reinstall the light assembly and you are done. Please verify your connectors prior to ordering.

$25 shipped to anywhere in the continental US.

Reactions: fliponthetele

·
Registered
140 Posts
Pmed. I think, new site makes it unclear.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Where were you when I was soldering upside down in the trunk doing this mod!!! Jump on this if you don't have this mod already. Bring a bit more visibility to our cars.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where were you when I was soldering upside down in the trunk doing this mod!!! Jump on this if you don't have this mod already. Bring a bit more visibility to our cars.
Yes, I can imagine that doing it from the trunk was NO FUN! It is an important mod for our cars, especially with the other drivers we have to contend with now a days. I wish Lotus had included these with all their cars.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
You got a vid? Just curious to see it. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was told that 2006 and newer use LEDs for the 3rd brake lights but I need to confirm with someone who actually has an 06' or newer. Mine is an 05' with incandescent bulbs so it does not work on mine. I will keep everyone informed how the testing goes. I am reaching out to the people who sent PMs to me to get a tester since nobody has been able to 100% confirm they are LEDs in the 06'+ cars. I will also try to get a video!

·
Registered
719 Posts
incidentally, i have two CHMSLs for my car, a 2005, and both are LEDs. perhaps the change happened as a function of production date rather than model year? my car is about halfway through the vin range for 2005s (31475, compared to 30000 thru ca. 33xxx).

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Alright for some clarification, this is the 3rd brake light under the roll hoop right? Saw you mention looking in the trunk upside down as I believe some had a 3rd brake light at the rear of clam. Can’t recall if that’s for the newer years or a UK thing tho.

Also, I have an Oct 04 build Elise, and I have leds on my 3rd brake light under hoop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the 3rd brake light above the rear window and below the roll bar hoop on Elise. I thought mine was LED until I connected the flasher and it did not work. I tested it with a known LED tail light and it worked fine. Unfortunately these units only work with LEDs. On my fixture, it is hard to see the bulbs without taking the light apart but I think they are very tiny incandescent that are not replaceable. I spent 2 hours last night scouring the web and could not get a definitive answer.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you change the incandescent bulbs out for LEDs it will work as well. I had incandescents on my 06 Exige and swapped them for LED and put the flasher relay on and they work fine.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Great price/deal for plug and play. I went with an aftermarket one that was splice into the wires of my 3rd brake light. It had some programability to it for flashing but would of gotten your plug and play if it was available a year ago!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All,
I regret to inform the community that I am cancelling this project. This will not work with Elise lights because Lotus integrated resistors into the light fixture to make it look like an incandescent fixture to the car. The flashers only work with true LED lights. Exige use a different light fixture which has incandescent bulbs so the flasher will not work with them either. Owners of Exige COULD use them if the swap the 4 incandescent bulbs out for LED replacements. I refunded all payments as of today. Those that received the test units are free to keep them and use them on other cars or, if you have an Exige, then you can use it if you swap out the bulbs.
Below are pictures which show how Lotus made the LED fixtures look like incandescent. The light shown is an 05' arch light but the same principle was applied to the other marker lights. The only way to bypass the resistors is deep surgery which I don't think any of us want to perform on these expensive and hard to get lights.

Sorry folks, I wish this had worked out for all of us.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Not sure what your circuit looks like but you should be able to do what you were trying to do with a 555 timer and a FET.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not sure what your circuit looks like but you should be able to do what you were trying to do with a 555 timer and a FET.

Later,
Eldon
Yes, it could be done but would be a lot more complicated and time consuming. I still think this is a good project, not just the way I was implementing it. I'm going to continue working on it because I want this for my car. I will update this post if I come up with a good solution. There were at least a dozen members who were interested. Exige people can still take advantage of this design if they are willing to replace their bulbs.
Fred

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Closing this.

San

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Closing this.

San

1 - 19 of 19 Posts