The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking of deleting my 3rd catalytic converter. I see a couple different ones and some have commented it didn’t fit and they had to have a muffler shop fill in the space. The Greg’s Race Parts one says it is bolt on... $249. The one talked about at Lotus Garage is only around $100 but do you need to have an extension welded in?

Wondering who else has done this and what the best route is.

·
Vendor
1,218 Posts
Ours is a bolt in option but some have a tighter fit than others so we recommend having a pipe expander tool on standby just incase!
We have around 75+ of these on the market with lots of great feedback!

Also -- To my knowledge Lotus Garage is no longer in business/operating.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have the GRP one and it does bolt right up. I definitely suggest renting a pipe expander tool to ease the installation of the de-cat pipe into the muffler pipe. I got one from O'Reilly's and if you return it within 48 hours it's 100% free.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok great. Sounds like GRP is the way to go. Thanks for the tip on Lotus Garage. Had no clue.

I had watched your longer video on YouTube earlier zthang. It’s what made me decide to do it 😂

·
Loves to talk
890 Posts
Lots of discussion here. The GRP pipe is very well made and yields the perfect tone. The cheap expanders on Amazon break as often as they work so don't try to figure out which $25 expander on Amazon is the best. They're all the same and you'll just make extra work and delay for yourself in having to return it. Borrow it from AutoZone or O'Reilly as has been mentioned and don't waste your time buying it unless you're ready to pay the money a decent one demands.

If I can do it (and I did) anybody can. It was a one person job for me but I could see how it might be helpful to have another hand hold the assembly up while you're bolting it together. You will be impressed by how nicely the stock pipes and assemblies are made yet how well the GRP matches or exceeds OEM quality. Everything comes apart and goes back together easily. However, if your rig is like mine, getting the cat off the OEM pipe required a lot of work with a soft blow hammer so you might want to have one of those handy as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
As another tip for install, I'd recommend dropping the whole muffler and loosely assembling the decat pipe on the muffler outside the car. Then reinstalling the entire assembly back on.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
As another tip for install, I'd recommend dropping the whole muffler and loosely assembling the decat pipe on the muffler outside the car. Then reinstalling the entire assembly back on.
I think that's how my local dealer does it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Depending on the model year and specific model, there is a slight difference in pipes required. I have a '12 IPS/NA and was able to use the 'newer' version is has the flange at a slightly different angle. I ended up getting the Lotus/Janspeed version but would not hesitate to go w/ GRP. Greg rocks :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts