The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I have the car up at AutoEurope and I'm sure they will figure it all out as always! But this is the issue...

Last weekend up at Grattan it was a bit rainy. So I thought I should include this for maybe figuring out the problem.

On the last session of the day. Perfectly dry I was on the second to last lap before cool down and was at WOT in 3rd gear nearing about 7500rpm when bam the car went right into limp mode... I pulled off. Thought the car was seriously hurt turn the car off and let it sit while I explained the problem to someone... turned the car on to limp it onto the trailer and the car was fine. Started right up etc. With the check engine still on.

Took it to autoeurope and they found that one of the coilpack wires seemed lose cuz when F'ed with you could get the problem to arise. They pushed the wires all back in and sealed them up to not allow them to move. (The engine code was 3rd cylinder misfire)

After this issue the car at cold start up is insanely rough! Not the normal. We are talking falling on its face and sputtering out all sorts of nastiness. Like starting the car after a long winter but literally a few hours after cooling down.

Today at another track day the car ran into the issue again. About 3-4 laps into the session BAM check engine light popped then the limp mode... pulled off. AutoEurope techs pulled off the coilpack from 3 and moved it to cylinder 4. Ran it again. BAM still cylinder 3... so they pulled the plug out too and swapped to 4... BAM same thing... misfire cylinder 3.

I can't get it to happen on the road... but the cold start is DEFINITELY F'd up...

anyone hear of this before? Issue with the wiring?

HELP! thanks!

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Hey guys! I have the car up at AutoEurope and I'm sure they will figure it all out as always! But this is the issue...

Last weekend up at Grattan it was a bit rainy. So I thought I should include this for maybe figuring out the problem.

On the last session of the day. Perfectly dry I was on the second to last lap before cool down and was at WOT in 3rd gear nearing about 7500rpm when bam the car went right into limp mode... I pulled off. Thought the car was seriously hurt turn the car off and let it sit while I explained the problem to someone... turned the car on to limp it onto the trailer and the car was fine. Started right up etc. With the check engine still on.

Took it to autoeurope and they found that one of the coilpack wires seemed lose cuz when F'ed with you could get the problem to arise. They pushed the wires all back in and sealed them up to not allow them to move. (The engine code was 3rd cylinder misfire)

After this issue the car at cold start up is insanely rough! Not the normal. We are talking falling on its face and sputtering out all sorts of nastiness. Like starting the car after a long winter but literally a few hours after cooling down.

Today at another track day the car ran into the issue again. About 3-4 laps into the session BAM check engine light popped then the limp mode... pulled off. AutoEurope techs pulled off the coilpack from 3 and moved it to cylinder 4. Ran it again. BAM still cylinder 3... so they pulled the plug out too and swapped to 4... BAM same thing... misfire cylinder 3.

I can't get it to happen on the road... but the cold start is DEFINITELY F'd up...

anyone hear of this before? Issue with the wiring?

HELP! thanks!
the only "consistant" cylinder 3 problems I've heard off are caused cam-wear.
Not sure what might be the case with your car, spark plugs gapped correctly?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. AE is replacing the wiring from the ECU up to the coils... that should fix the problem if its electrical! Which it seems like it is.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
well after reaearch it is a good idea to put a healthy amount of dieletric grease on all parts of the spark plugs and boots (the whole shaft). this seems to cure alot of misfire problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.