The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't for the life of me get a fast reliable shift either from 3rd to 4th or from 5th to 4th (heal/toe).

I recall reading somewhere about those folks tracking their Lotus having similar problems but I "think" someone had a relatively easy fix for it, but can't seem to locate that.

Any suggestions, other than shift slower (which does work)?

Thanks, Rob.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Im hoping you are doing this at the track :D

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
5th to 4th has always been 'tricky' for me.

I've found that as I changed my focus from 'How late/fast can I break into this corner' to 'How soon can I get back to full throttle in this corner' it became easier to shift. When I started relaxing going into the corner instead of putting my self on the ragged edge, suddenly the shifter got easier to use.

That said, I did do a small mod on my shifter to stiffen it up. It's linked in my sig.

Edit: Its not linked in my sig (not enough space in the sig, I'm bumping into the limit).

Here is the link: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39548&highlight="shifter+mod"

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Larry,

Do you track your car? Hard? I know folks who have almost twice the numbers of sessions that I do (I have 120+ sessions) who acknowledge that the car is difficult to shift from 5th to 4th while 'under stress'.

Under street driving, sure, it's 'OK'. But when you are entering a corner at 126 MPH it changes the story a bit.

Rich S

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses, I went with the sector 111 part. But the home built solution seems just as valid.

Rob.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
No problems. :shrug:
its because he is asking about tracking the car.
which explains your shug.................... no track time for your car

i guess that whole proofreading job in the past didnt work out so well eh?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I heel-toe in the street as well :shrug:

No big problems for me but there's the rare occasion I have trouble getting into 3rd gear, that's pretty much it.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
^the 3rd thing happens to me sometimes as well, i pretty much shift like im racing as much as i can, for practice

i really think the solid shifter should cure at least 50% of bad shifting, the other 50% is probably the driver

·
Registered
992 Posts
^the 3rd thing happens to me sometimes as well, i pretty much shift like im racing as much as i can, for practice

i really think the solid shifter should cure at least 50% of bad shifting, the other 50% is probably the driver
3rd gear - always third is the problem and I h & t every time i brake, every day. track or street. third.

the consensus i get from toyota people too.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
By this i am assuming you mean shifting very fast and aggresively.

one thing people dont seem to realize is that you are not going to make up any more time by shifting super fast on the stick, BUT you are going to lose a ton of time missing the shift, or grinding the gears,............
be smooth on all of the inputs into the car.

Smooth is fast

I had to always remind myself of this with my Spec miata i used to race. if you miss a gear, you cannot find it, unless you go back into neutral, and then back into the gear. Tons of time and momentum lost, not to mention a big distraction from more important things going on.

never had any issues with the gearbox the times i tracked the elise

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a lot of racing experience I know how to shift and heel/toe. Driving ability isn't the issue here, I've raced, tracked, blownup enough cars in my day to know.

This isn't about shifting fast nor agressive in all gears -- this is a standard racing type shift that a synchro tranny should be able to handle. I notice that the linkage is pretty sloppy which is why I looking at tightening it up somehow.

This is specifically about shifting from 3rd to 4th and from 5th to 4th -- I have to do this considerably slower than 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, etc. etc.

I'll see if this sector 111 brace helps remove some of the slop.

Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
By this i am assuming you mean shifting very fast and aggresively.

one thing people dont seem to realize is that you are not going to make up any more time by shifting super fast on the stick, BUT you are going to lose a ton of time missing the shift, or grinding the gears,............
be smooth on all of the inputs into the car.

Smooth is fast

I had to always remind myself of this with my Spec miata i used to race. if you miss a gear, you cannot find it, unless you go back into neutral, and then back into the gear. Tons of time and momentum lost, not to mention a big distraction from more important things going on.

never had any issues with the gearbox the times i tracked the elise
i know what you mean lol that "fast" shifting thing was from my drag racing days, now its more like heel n toe, rev matching etc.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have had this problem since I picked the car up. Just brought it in for the 10000 mile service and Daniel at Boardwalk stated there was a cable issue and has ordered the parts to rectify the issue.....

I thought it was me, but I was consistently missing 3rd, 5th, and finding reverse was nearly impossible.....

Nice to know I had not completely lost my mind....

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cable?? Ok, you have me confused, this is a linkage setup, there is no cable except unlocking into reverse but that doesn't run back to tranny.

Shifting in these cars definitely has to be done at little slower and with "authority" ;)

heal/toe is relatively easy in these cars as the pedals are positioned well under hard braking, but the tranny and/or shift linkage leaves MUCH to be desired. I've raced considerably cheaper cars with 2500 race H pattern basic Ford Tremec and they shift considerably better than these Toyota trannies. Definitely the weak linkage in this package -- I wonder if anyone has a solution yet? Other than shifting like grandpa Jones.

I figure folks race these cars so I'm sure there must be some race worthy solutions out there? Anyone?

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I believe that we went over this in another thread... ..never had a 3-4 shift issue, but did experience some difficulty finding the 3-4 gate when trying to do the 5-4 downshift under hard braking (heal and toe). Issue was too much engine/tranny movement -- the Forced FED engine damper was the solution for me.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The engine damper has done wonders in other areas, but it hasn't affected the shifting and finding the gate (especially 5th to 4th - which is such a critical downshift). Nor has the Sector 111 brace, nor the other creative fixes made by others.

Perhaps I just have a linkage issue -- looks like a weekend project to see what I can do about this (if anything).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Any update? 5 to 4 is challenging for me too. I don't claim to have the experience you guys do...but that shift is almost always tough to hit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts