The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=207383303
I just ordered this, its a pretty damn good deal for GPS + Camera in a small portable package. I'm not expecting spectacular picture quality, but it should be better then blindly backing up and hoping for the best.
I will post results and pics when I receive it and install it.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
just got the package in the mail, the package looks better then expected. The LCD unit looks pretty high quality, but the camera looks like the same cheap ones as the $90 wireless backup camera setup from Costco. (can someone confirm?)

I'm not going to mount it on the license plate, I'm going to try to make a somewhat aerodynamic housing for it to mount it on top of the rear "hump"... just behind the scoop. Additionally, I'm not going to wire the camera to the back up light. Instead, I'm going to hook it up to a manual switch so I can hopefully use it as a rear view mirror.

I'm going to do a search, but can someone point me to an easy way to run wires from the passenger compartment to the engine compartment?

Photo_042808_002.jpg

Photo_042808_003.jpg

Photo_042808_004.jpg

sorry for the crappy cellphone picture quality. I need to buy a new camera

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will take a while for me to design and make the rear hump camera housing, but I did try out the GPS today driving from Silicon Valley to San Francisco. The maps are from Navteq which is the same place google get their map data. The software was pretty straightforward to use but not as pretty as Garmin, a few of the locations near my house are outdated by about 1-2 years but overall it was pretty good.

I will try out the camera later this week

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I had a change of plans... I was going to make a housing to mount the camera near the roof (so I can see my blindspots) but the multivex mirrors worked so well I decided to mount it on the intended location: the license plate.

I did make one mod: I added a switch and connected the power directly to camera, so I can use the camera as a rear view mirror to see directly behind me (instead of wiring to the backup light and only able to see behind me while backing up). I will post pictures later of the switch, but its basically a push on/push off switch from radio shack mounted to a bracket and secured using 3m double sided adhesive and the screw on the shifter console.

I was mostly impressed the night performance of the camera, it seems with a slight bit of light, it can make out details better then the side view mirrors. I was under the impression these cheap cameras would be useless at night. The headlights didn't totally wash out the camera, but you do see a white blob so you know a car is there.

the first pic is a night view with street light. (car is stationary but the quality is the same while moving)
the second pic is night view in total darkness with the backup light on.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sure, I'll do that tomorrow when its light out.
I'd have to say the user interface is slightly better then my old TOMTOM... not as good as the new Garmin, but thats $100 more and doesn't have the integrated camera.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haahaa yeah my favorite (Cheapest) Chevron station was closed...

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never got a rear view mirror. previous owner got rid of it...but yes: multivex + rearview cam gets you 360 degree view around the car. you can prob just get the multivex... this is just extra icing on top.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
day time pic, switch mounting, GPS software photo. its got mp3 player and photo player as well

Attachments

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Have you thought of mounting the monitor in where the rear view mirror is?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes.. that was my original plan, but the seller couldn't find it after he took it off. I was goings to use the stalk for mounting. this way is easier for running the power wire (I still have to clean it up) and seems to have the best image reception for the wireless rear camera

1 - 13 of 13 Posts