The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!
41 - 50 of 50 Posts
Thanks guys for your input and responses. Car drives great and pulling very strong even with high miles. Just love some spirited hwy driving every once in a while is all.

With all the talk of handling of the 4 cyl vs the 8, I don't think I would ever take my S4 to the track as I would be too stressed if my high mileage engine should fail. The Esprit has always been my dream car and now that I have one, I won't jeopardize it. But don't let the NOOB name fool ya! :D I have had plenty of seat time. It's been a while, but Wife and I used to track a ton with the local clubs.

Planning on taking one of these back to the track.

More likely the Honda since it would be cheaper to beat up.

Have a nice day fellas!
I agree you would want to "baby" a high mileage motor. But it doesn't happen the way you would expect. You can beat the cr-p out of it at the track but it won't die then. A couple of days later when you are going for a doughnut it won't start when you get back into the car. To see just how it is doing keep track of oil consumption and gas mileage. You can also do compression and leak-down testing. If you want to get really fancy you do oil analysis. I would also pull the output hose on the turbo and watch for any traces of oil. Keep up with regular service like valve adjustments and belts. The 4 cyls also have problems with valve caps and the ones with the citroen box have issues with a circlip. Use the best oil you can get and change it often. If you get to 100,000 miles you are past being on borrowed time.
David Teitelbaum

Discussion starter · #44 · (Edited)
I agree you would want to "baby" a high mileage motor. But it doesn't happen the way you would expect. You can beat the cr-p out of it at the track but it won't die then. A couple of days later when you are going for a doughnut it won't start when you get back into the car. To see just how it is doing keep track of oil consumption and gas mileage. You can also do compression and leak-down testing. If you want to get really fancy you do oil analysis. I would also pull the output hose on the turbo and watch for any traces of oil. Keep up with regular service like valve adjustments and belts. The 4 cyls also have problems with valve caps and the ones with the citroen box have issues with a circlip. Use the best oil you can get and change it often. If you get to 100,000 miles you are past being on borrowed time.
David Teitelbaum
Thanks for your advice. As of now it loses no oil nor coolant so that is a good sign for now. Will definitely have the valves checked and adjusted. Belt was just replaced last year with gates blue. Only have 2000 miles on it since then. Yes checked the output hose on the turbo hence the rebuild.

Thanks David.

Seriously, If your engine has not had any work done to it in it's former life with some other owner than Your engine rebuild is on the horizon. What is not clear is what will happen if something cuts loose like a con rod or drop a valve. Lets take bearings for example. The bearings themselves are not too expensive but if they should wear down to the 3rd layer and damage the crank journals to the the point of not be able to regrind. then it will get expensive. Hopefully nothing else will cut loose in the engine and it will just wear out gracefully.

Can't figure your engine out. Should be real tired by now but I trust that you know enough about cars when you say all is normal. It's weird is what it is.

Discussion starter · #46 ·
Can't figure your engine out. Should be real tired by now but I trust that you know enough about cars when you say all is normal. It's weird is what it is.
You should see all the duct tape I have on it though. Seems to work just fine. I just keep replacing the duct tape if it wears out. In some areas I also use electrical tape. Seems to hold up well too. :UK::D

I am sure I will have to rebuild it soon, just that it drives so good right now that I am hesitant is all. .

From the time I bought the car til now it has gone through some major changes from cosmetics to upgrades to just simple maintenance. Couldn't have done it without the likes of you and many of the fellas here. Great place to be a part of.

Then Jan 2013 with low boost.

Two years later with full boost and a ton of reliability mods

Discussion starter · #48 ·
Did you ever get the turbo rebuilt? Did you go with a John Welch turbo?
He will either rebuild yours or do a core exchange.

BTW nice looking car
Yes I did but didn't go with a John Welch turbo, went with a shop in Pomona suggested by Mr. D.

thanks!

Yes I did but didn't go with a John Welch turbo, went with a shop in Pomona suggested by Mr. D.

thanks!
Share please.. I am thinking about upgrading my turbo but Welch is not selling them except for customers who walk in, i.e. will not ship.

Nothing wrong with my current turbo, just want more modern technology...

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.