The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody,
I bought a Black 2008 Exige S 240 with Lotus Sport wheels. The original owner bought the car new in San Diego, and didn't like the Black rims. He said he "immediately" replaced them with grey Lotus sport wheels. He included the original rims, in boxes.
They were definitely on the car at least for delivery, and have stick on weights on the backs, but otherwise are like brand new and FLAWLESS. Seriously, all 4, very low miles, no bends, cracks or even marks on them. Includes 4 center caps.

I believe these are the LSS wheels, but you guys tell me! The part #s are-
Y026KS77538BL on the 17 X 7.5s, AND Y026KS66025BL on the 16 x 6s.

I would like to sell them, and will except the best offer. I am in Towson Md, and will ship in the US. Thanks!

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
They are indeed the 'LSS' wheels, but the narrower 6 inch fronts. Original LSS wheels, up through 2007, had 6.5 inch fronts.

·
Registered
170 Posts
They are indeed the 'LSS' wheels, but the narrower 6 inch fronts. Original LSS wheels, up through 2007, had 6.5 inch fronts.
I have heard about these wheels once or twice on this forum, and I've been here from the start. First time I've seen them for sale. They seem like the ideal replacement for the standard wheels and must be the lightest factory wheels. Anyone know how much they weigh and does anyone else here have them?

Jason

·
Registered
831 Posts
Jason, these have been on the cars since the beginning as part of the sport pack. They are forged, very light (IIRC about 13lbs) and get snapped up as soon as they go up for sale. Like this set.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Jason, these have been on the cars since the beginning as part of the sport pack. They are forged, very light (IIRC about 13lbs) and get snapped up as soon as they go up for sale. Like this set.
It is my understanding that these wheels, with the narrower front wheels, were optional with the standard suspension and not part of the sport pack. I assume that the fronts are slightly lighter than the sport pack wheels.

Switching from heavy aftermarket 15" wheels to lightweight 14" BBS wheels on my previous car, a 1991 Miata, made a big improvement in the way the car drove.

Would switching from standard Elise wheels to these forged wheels (assuming the same tires) make a noticeable difference in the feel of the car?

Jason

·
Registered
170 Posts
Would you mind letting us know what kind of offers you are getting, as they come in, and what you had in mind as far as price?

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Everybody,
I bought a Black 2008 Exige S 240 with Lotus Sport wheels. The original owner bought the car new in San Diego, and didn't like the Black rims. He said he "immediately" replaced them with grey Lotus sport wheels. He included the original rims, in boxes.
They were definitely on the car at least for delivery, and have stick on weights on the backs, but otherwise are like brand new and FLAWLESS. Seriously, all 4, very low miles, no bends, cracks or even marks on them. Includes 4 center caps.

I believe these are the LSS wheels, but you guys tell me! The part #s are-
Y026KS77538BL on the 17 X 7.5s, AND Y026KS66025BL on the 16 x 6s.

I would like to sell them, and will except the best offer. I am in Towson Md, and will ship in the US. Thanks!

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would be interested to know what you end up getting as well. I just bought some wheels from a 2008 Elise Special Edition which I believe are the same (except in Silver). Didn't even know about the narrower fronts on 2008+ LSS wheels! Should make it interesting.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
It is my understanding that these wheels, with the narrower front wheels, were optional with the standard suspension and not part of the sport pack. I assume that the fronts are slightly lighter than the sport pack wheels.

Jason
No, they came standard as part of the LSS/sport pack beginning in 2008, I believe (these came off an 08 Exige). That's why when buying LSS wheels now one needs to be careful to check to see which they are getting.

The narrower front wheels have often been cited, with no real data to support, for the SC Elise's very bad showing in the annual Lightning Lap tests at VIR that C and D does. The thinking was that the car didn't handle as well because of the narrower fronts. It lapped a LOT slower than a normally aspirated Elise, and slower still than an Exige S with the same horsepower. Lots of variables in such a test though, so who knows?

·
Registered
831 Posts
These wheels were always available on the cars, beginning in 2005. They were originally anodized silver, in 6 inch width, carrying the 195 section Yoko Ao48 tires. They were then made available painted. Very early on, Lotus had a problem delivering them to customers so a number of early cars had another pattern wheel supplied with the sport pack.

Later the wheel was made in 6.5 inch width, carrying the same tire. It became available in black, at least as part of the black package offered fairly early on. As far as I know it was always available in both colors on the Exige.

A .5 inch difference on the wheel carrying the same tire seems unlikely as a major cause of a slow lap time.

General used market seems to be around $1000-1,100 a set for wheels that aren't too beat up, maybe a little higher for a really nice set, at least from what I've seen here.

One other thing: as with many things Lotus, there are exceptions to every general rule. A later car may have been supplied with a 6 inch wheel if they had a set lying around, or a Euro wheel may have been supplied in '06. That's how things go in Lotusland.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
These wheels were always available on the cars, beginning in 2005. They were originally anodized silver, in 6 inch width, carrying the 195 section Yoko Ao48 tires. They were then made available painted. Very early on, Lotus had a problem delivering them to customers so a number of early cars had another pattern wheel supplied with the sport pack.

Later the wheel was made in 6.5 inch width, carrying the same tire. It became available in black, at least as part of the black package offered fairly early on. As far as I know it was always available in both colors on the Exige.

A .5 inch difference on the wheel carrying the same tire seems unlikely as a major cause of a slow lap time.

General used market seems to be around $1000-1,100 a set for wheels that aren't too beat up, maybe a little higher for a really nice set, at least from what I've seen here.

One other thing: as with many things Lotus, there are exceptions to every general rule. A later car may have been supplied with a 6 inch wheel if they had a set lying around, or a Euro wheel may have been supplied in '06. That's how things go in Lotusland.
I don't think LSS wheels in 05 being 6 inches is correct. I believe they started out with the first LSS optioned cars delivered being 6.5 inch wheels. The STANDARD wheels were 6 inches, that's why they were shod with 175's instead of the 195s that came with the sport pack.

The Sport wheels I had on 2 of the three 05 Elises I owned, including two early production run cars, had 6.5 wheels. The other elise was standard, and had the narrower non LSS wheels. The replacement wheels you mention are the Euro Spec Exige wheels...they came standard on the european market exiges, and were substituted in the sport pack option in the spring of 05 for a couple of months when the wheel supplier wasn't delivering product.

They were identical in size to the LSS wheels they replaced. 6.5 inch fronts. But were much heavier, so Lotus knocked off $500 of the price of the sport pack if you ordered that during that time.

I agree that the difference in wheel size would not have made for such a poor showing for the Elise SC in the LL feature. But folks were aghast that not only did it lap a lot slower than the NA Elise, but it was slower than a Pontiac Solstice, that people were looking for some explanation, rational or not.

·
Registered
831 Posts
@lotusforsale

you may be right about the width of the LSS wheels, but the standard 8-spoke wheels were 5.5 inches. These were shod with the 175 Yoko 006's.

I've never actually seen a 6 inch LSS wheel. I've had 2 sets and had 6.5 stamped on them and they come from '05 cars.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The replacement wheels you mention are the Euro Spec Exige wheels...they came standard on the european market exiges, and were substituted in the sport pack option in the spring of 05 for a couple of months when the wheel supplier wasn't delivering product.

They were identical in size to the LSS wheels they replaced. 6.5 inch fronts. But were much heavier, so Lotus knocked off $500 of the price of the sport pack if you ordered that during that time.
I believe these were a different style and would not be confused with sport pack wheels.

Jason

·
Registered
831 Posts
Where is this stamp? I want to check and see if mine are the 6.5" width without un-mounting the tire.
On the backside. May be hard to see on a black wheel but it's there, somewhere. I saw it when I took off the wheel and gave it a good clean.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts