The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I decided was the day to do some maintenence on the Exige. Just hit 10k miles, time for an oil change. Had some other things to do on the list..

- Oil Change (last oil change at 6k miles) Picked up Mobil 1 5w40 for this time.
- Adjust exhaust to stop rubbing on diffuser (second attempt)
- Check toelinks (were tight as can be)
- Inspect/repair coolant U-tube timebomb. (Found out it was rubbing, glad I checked!!)

Total time = 2 hours

Clipped factory zip tie, and found this on the U-tube. Some rubbing, and definite wear on the bottom part.

My solution was some heavy duty hose, cut along one edge, and zip tied securely to the U-tube.

Re-zip tied back to the factory location. Should be fine now. Glad I checked!

My Exige relieving itself. 4k miles worth of dirty oil.

If you don't own one of these, and do your own maintainence, it is a MUST! Add 8mm socket, and take care of all those diffuser and undertray bolts!

Re-adjusted the exhaust to clear the carbon fiber diffuser. First time, I removed the diffuser and cut off the little 'bump' it was rubbing on but the exhaust moved some more and started rubbing on the back again. So this time I moved it more and seriously torqued it down. Hope the exhaust stays put this time.

The BUTT of my car. Where all the fun work takes place.

After all was tightened up, I started it up, and it idles better and is a little smoother sounding. Possibly due to the exhaust not rubbing on the diffuser. Took a test drive, and all is well.
Love working on this car!

So there you have it, 2 hours, and 4 things cleared from my mind, and less to worry about. :)
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Great pics of the U-tube timebomb - I hope more people look into that.. Which diffuser do you have?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Cheers on the good maintenance!

Silly question for you, but where did you get that container
to drain the oil into? I've been looking for something
to cut down on the mess, etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Great pics of the U-tube timebomb - I hope more people look into that.. Which diffuser do you have?
i checked mine last weekend also, only 3 k miles and i didn't have any signs of rubbing so i left it alone for now. i'll keep checking it periodically.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The diffuser is the Reverie 3 element from Sector111. Neat part!

I got that drain can at Kragen auto parts about 5 years ago...
I feel so much better knowing that maintenence has been done.
Now just to get new tires, and possibly a rear toelink brace. (that one still scares me).
Cheers!
Skottoman

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
REAL enthusiasts use air tools! -poke-

I'm getting ready for a maint. day pretty soon. Oil change, trans oil change, brake fluid flush, new plugs, swap air filters, injector cleaner, and just some general checking and cleaning.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
REAL enthusiasts use air tools! -poke-

I'm getting ready for a maint. day pretty soon. Oil change, trans oil change, brake fluid flush, new plugs, swap air filters, injector cleaner, and just some general checking and cleaning.
Haha... I don't have a compressor, and this little cordless ratchet ROCKS for the diffuser/undertray removal! :D

Check your U-Tube!
Cheers!
Skottoman

·
Registered
76 Posts
I take it then that you are using Mobil's Turbo Diesel Truck formulation? Mobil discontinued their Truck and SUV formula and now recommends 5W30 for gasoline engines. I don't know that it makes a difference...can someone educate me?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get the 1/4 turn fasteners for sale currently by alexander4(?). Much more convenient than your electric driver.
But I already HAVE the electric driver? :D Works just fine.
Maybe I'll have to look into the 1/4 turns, but I can't think they'd be as 'secure' as a bolt turned 20 thousand times to screw in. Ha.

Cheers!
Skottoman

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I take it then that you are using Mobil's Turbo Diesel Truck formulation? Mobil discontinued their Truck and SUV formula and now recommends 5W30 for gasoline engines. I don't know that it makes a difference...can someone educate me?
Yes, the 5w 40 is labeled Diesel Truck Oil.

There is a big thread discussing the different oils. This is what was available to me, and I feel it will work just fine. :D

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/whats-best-synthetic-oil-elise-26231/

Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
But I already HAVE the electric driver? :D Works just fine.
Maybe I'll have to look into the 1/4 turns, but I can't think they'd be as 'secure' as a bolt turned 20 thousand times to screw in. Ha.

Cheers!
Skottoman
I have to agree with you on using the electric driver. Use use a Skil driver as well, but it is the little lithium ion one that fits in the palm of your hand. I have the air tools to use as well, but I still prefer the small electric driver--better control with the small screws and no air hose. The electric driver also serves as my primary screwdriver for removing the interior and inspection plates from my airplane for annual inspections every year. Snaking an air hose into the close confines of an airplane interior is much harder than just grabbing the electric driver. As far as the 1/4 turns go, I think they are a great idea, but with my electric driver in hand I personally don't see a need for them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts