The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To those who ask how good is the Lotus Evora 400.... There was only room for one sports car in the garage!! After 4 months of driving both beasts it became apparent that the M2 competition just wasn’t the sports car experience I thought it could be. And I wouldn’t have known any better until I drove both for an extended period. I owned my 2019 BMW M2 Competition for 17 months, Lotus Evora since January of 2020. Had a 2018 LCI M2 previously for 16 months and traded it for the 2019 M2 Comp.
I liken it to racing in a video game versus actually driving a car in a race. Lotus vs BMW - Analog versus digital. All the creature comforts of the M2 Competition couldn’t compete with the analog, raw sports car feel of the Lotus. I miss the comfy seats in the M but I’m cool with that knowing they can be modified in the Lotus. I miss the kick in the ass of the M2, which could smoke the Lotus in the mid-range, but, the way the Lotus lays out the power is so much more tractable and predictable. Supercharger power is so different than Turbocharger power and I hadn’t experienced both back to back previously.
Driving the same roads, the M2 would pound you into compliance while the Lotus is equally if not more competent but manages to smooth out the same spots in a much smoother manner, keeping control that much easier. I dont miss the M presets and settings because they’re just not needed anymore... All the niceties of the sound system, I-drive, etc are replaced with the function-ability of my IPhone. The sound system in the Lotus is good enough, I could care less that the stock Alpine system isn’t integrated and all fancy like the M. I never even touched 3/4s of the buttons on the M dash.
The exhaust note in the Lotus is symphony while the M2 was a fart can in comparison. That was one of my biggest gripes beyond the slow throttle tip-in with the M2, it just sounded like crap all the time, when it was loud enough to hear. Not to mention inside the cabin the exhaust note in the M2 is mostly manufactured sound, really BMW? And the off throttle popping started to get old. I had the first M2, an LCI 2018 that I should have never traded for the new..it sounded amazing comparatively.
The other big gripe would be the stick shift... I’ve had manuals my entire life. The manual in the 2019 M2 competition is the worst I’ve ever experienced. Long throws, loose stick, soft clutch with way too quick of a let in. 17 months of ownership and I can’t remember a smooth 1st-2nd shift. Trying to shift quickly is futile. The Lotus, night and day. Very snikky, nice clutch weight, crisp with short throws.
With the Lotus I feel I have found the vehicle I was looking for all along... just my 2 cents...
You must realize I’m not hating on the M2 in any way, it is a fantastic car, just a different flavor and I found that after months of driving both cars equally, when I went into the garage to take a drive I instinctively started heading for the Lotus, it drives that well. I cant speak to reliability over time but I hope the Lotus proves itself in the respect.
Ill miss you M2 competition...maybe

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
I thought BMWs were perfect??? I am glad to hear that you love your 400 so much because they really are so very special, unlike the totally humorless and unfun modern BMWs that I have driven (including the current M3 - fast but yawn). I have a Jeep 4 door also but mine has a 707hp engine . . .

·
Premium Member
6,511 Posts
Never had an M2 pull me. hmmmmm. And CT BMW CCA has one (a comp) but he does drive it like a Nancy...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought BMWs were perfect??? I am glad to hear that you love your 400 so much because they really are so very special, unlike the totally humorless and unfun modern BMWs that I have driven (including the current M3 - fast but yawn). I have a Jeep 4 door also but mine has a 707hp engine . . .
So you're saying I should drop a hell cat motor in the Rubicon?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha well it would perk it up a bit! I LOVE my Trackhawk.
I'm good with it's pace. The Wrangler completes my Jekyll and Hyde persona on the road!! 😂. I can calm down a lot and just cruise. It's got the new sky roof which is killer for nice weather. Push a button and you have a convertible!! Grab the lotus to fly...

·
Registered
246 Posts
That's a great combination, congratulations. I have toyed with buying a Rubicon but don't do any real offroading any more. I do occasionally go to ranches where the dirt roads require a little more ground clearance than a car provides so the Grand Cherokee has suited me well (had a 2015 SRT Jeep prior to the TH).

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm good with it's pace. The Wrangler completes my Jekyll and Hyde persona on the road!! 😂. I can calm down a lot and just cruise. It's got the new sky roof which is killer for nice weather. Push a button and you have a convertible!! Grab the lotus to fly...
I thought I saw the sky roof on your jeep. I have a JKU RHR, hopefully get a JLU one of these days with the sky roof & possibly the diesel. I am waiting on a few years of diesel reliability first and also a mounting plate for snowplow installation, I use my Jeep for plowing off my parking lot.

finally and most importantly, I need to get a Lotus before my Jeep gets swapped out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts