The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of upgrading my brakes. I like the idea of keeping the factory size rotor and maybe grabbing the BOE 2 piece rotors possibly. Wondering the BOE model of the front 4 pot Radi-CAL caliper they offer. On the ap site it seems like the cp9444. Can anyone confirm? Andrew has not gotten back to me. Does anyone have this application with 2 pots in the rear? Looking to see about doing this mod without a bias cage using the correct pads for street use. Any opinions and advice is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
That's a serious race caliper. Kind of overkill for the street. Pricey as well. The price on BOE's site is per caliper. $5900 for a pair.

San

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a serious race caliper. Kind of overkill for the street. Pricey as well. The price on BOE's site is per caliper. $5900 for a pair.

San
Whoa. That’s not correct. Their price is for the pair including pads. I’m just being a smart shopper and doing a little research. I’ve been told these calipers can be sourced in the UK for a lot cheaper but will still need the adapter brackets. I’m just trying to narrow down the exact model/part number.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,372 Posts
While that is a great brake setup, I'd like to know why you feel the need? You say street use so is this just for the looks? Without being able to adjust bias I'd think this will be very unbalanced and not sure pads can really make up the difference. I have the slightly smaller 2-pot caliper on the read and the car stops just fine, really slows down too much most of the time.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While that is a great brake setup, I'd like to know why you feel the need? You say street use so is this just for the looks? Without being able to adjust bias I'd think this will be very unbalanced and not sure pads can really make up the difference. I have the slightly smaller 2-pot caliper on the read and the car stops just fine, really slows down too much most of the time.
I really like the look of the larger caliper in front. My car does have the rev400 sc kit and I will be doing some track events and want to do some kind of brake upgrade. I’m just kinda pondering the market for options. I know BOE MIGHT be having a rotor sale on Black Friday and these calipers caught my eye because they work with the 288mm rotors. Still not 100% sure of the model of their radical caliper set. Maybe I’ll just do the 2 pot in the rear and call it a day. Got all winter to decide!

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,372 Posts
Comparing pictures from BOE and AP Racing it looks to be 1 of 2 Calipers, though I could be wrong. CP9444 or CP9445, one being larger piston bore than the other. Not sure the price difference between the two compared to what BOE offers them at. Make sure to factor in shipping and such to actually get them to you as it might not be much of a difference in the end and all the time you'll spend making sure its the same.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
With expensive shipping and getting hit with duty I would expect to pay about $1160 for a pair of 9444 from the UK. Then $300 or so for the pads. I bet you tilton or AP or someone has a calculator or similar to figure out what is the right size piston.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
This got me looking if I could easily adapt my EP race uprights to use this caliper, I tried to use the drawings to figure it out but failed for now, but it's friday afternoon and I have been thinking all week. Maybe I can make a cardboard template or something

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With expensive shipping and getting hit with duty I would expect to pay about $1160 for a pair of 9444 from the UK. Then $300 or so for the pads. I bet you tilton or AP or someone has a calculator or similar to figure out what is the right size piston.
I hit up your guy and Eliseparts and they both offer them for about $1100 for a pair plus shipping plus pads plus would need adapter brackets.

·
7,598 Posts
I hit up your guy and Eliseparts and they both offer them for about $1100 for a pair plus shipping plus pads plus would need adapter brackets.

That sounds very reasonable. The only issue is that the brake bias will likely not be optimum, as BOE recommends the brake bias bar.

San

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
Interesting post. I do think that the setup you're looking at (radical w/o brake bias) is untested and will likely not be anything close to the right brake bias for the car. Adding more brake to the rear plus this is asking for a really long brake pedal if I understand correctly. While the bias is messed up, throwing it too far forward is not something that a track novice is likely to notice for awhile. The change in pedal will be noticed immediately. For street use you may be able to get away with it because you shouldn't be coming close to the limits there anyway.

If you're considering a go at the track, I would recommend AGAINST brake changes- you need a baseline for what a competent brake setup is before making changes.

Have you seen this?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m not gonna lie I really like the look of the larger rotor in the front but do not want to sacrifice safety or an already nice pedal feel.
I’ll likely go the route of 2 pots in the rear and keeping the fronts for now. I don’t want to mess with bias being that my car will be mostly for street.

Now I’m wondering about people with the bbk with 308 rotors. Do those eliminate the need for a bias bar/cage because of the larger braking surface area in the front?

·
7,598 Posts
I’m not gonna lie I really like the look of the larger rotor in the front but do not want to sacrifice safety or an already nice pedal feel.
I’ll likely go the route of 2 pots in the rear and keeping the fronts for now. I don’t want to mess with bias being that my car will be mostly for street.

Now I’m wondering about people with the bbk with 308 rotors. Do those eliminate the need for a bias bar/cage because of the larger braking surface area in the front?

Not sure why you want to do the 2-pot in the rear. As for the 308 rotors, I'd hardly call that a BBK, and it just added more bias to the front, which made the bias even worse. Looks better, but didn't help anything.

San

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure why you want to do the 2-pot in the rear. As for the 308 rotors, I'd hardly call that a BBK, and it just added more bias to the front, which made the bias even worse. Looks better, but didn't help anything.

San
Im all for looks but more for performance. To answer your question I’ll quote the guys at BOE

“you will never have a great braking Lotus with the stock sliding rear caliper. Never.”

“With no other change, running the same caliper front and rear will vastly improve the braking performance. VASTLY”

·
7,598 Posts
Im all for looks but more for performance. To answer your question I’ll quote the guys at BOE

“you will never have a great braking Lotus with the stock sliding rear caliper. Never.”

“With no other change, running the same caliper front and rear will vastly improve the braking performance. VASTLY”

I ditched the stock brakes right after I bought my Exige S. The rear brakes are heavier than anything else I've ever lifted. I have the 4-wheel AP Racing BBK. Old pics with my old C7.
IMG_0998.JPG
IMG_0999.JPG

San

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ditched the stock brakes right after I bought my Exige S. The rear brakes are heavier than anything else I've ever lifted. I have the 4-wheel AP Racing BBK. Old pics with my old C7. View attachment 1254531 View attachment 1254532

San

You have an amazing Exige. I love the color scheme you have going with the top all black. Did you do anything to alter your brake booster or abs system (remove) with your setup or add bias bar? I remember visualechos wanted 4 pots in the front and rear but ditched the rear I think. How’s your pedal feel and would you recommend your setup?

·
7,598 Posts
You have an amazing Exige. I love the color scheme you have going with the top all black. Did you do anything to alter your brake booster or abs system (remove) with your setup or add bias bar? I remember visualechos wanted 4 pots in the front and rear but ditched the rear I think. How’s your pedal feel and would you recommend your setup?

I didn't want to paint the carbon bits, so I had Julio at Mulholland Motorsports paint the cockpit black so everything would blend in. Until you get up close you can't tell there's carbon in the cockpit area.

The only thing that was done was to leave the Mintex Extreme pads in the rear and go with a "weaker" pad in the front to add rear bias. Front pads are Carbotech Bobcats. This setup uses the same pads front and rear, so swapping them is easy. Pedal feel is good, but touchy. You won't need a lot of input, as the only thing limiting the braking is the tires. My mechanic isn't a fan of brake bias bars, and I trust his opinion. I'm not sure I have the ABS enabled, as I noticed a few fuses under the passenger dash aren't there. I can't say I've ever missed it. You're more than welcome to try it out if you get out this way.

San

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't want to paint the carbon bits, so I had Julio at Mulholland Motorsports paint the cockpit black so everything would blend in. Until you get up close you can't tell there's carbon in the cockpit area.

The only thing that was done was to leave the Mintex Extreme pads in the rear and go with a "weaker" pad in the front to add rear bias. Front pads are Carbotech Bobcats. This setup uses the same pads front and rear, so swapping them is easy. Pedal feel is good, but touchy. You won't need a lot of input, as the only thing limiting the braking is the tires. My mechanic isn't a fan of brake bias bars, and I trust his opinion. I'm not sure I have the ABS enabled, as I noticed a few fuses under the passenger dash aren't there. I can't say I've ever missed it. You're more than welcome to try it out if you get out this way.

San
Thanks for the offer! I appreciate the opinions and advice from everyone!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts