The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Having an 11' Exige which has 308mm on the front with 4 pot and single pot rears, I can tell you that you do not want to go that way. The brake bais was so screwed up that you could not be on the brakes when you started corner entry. Switching to 2 pot rears helped but you could still not trail brake the car in to a corner. I tried different compounds, front and rear, and it still did not help. I switched to a brake bias system, not BOEs, and later to a custom 4 pot caliper setup all the way around.

The ideal brake bias is around 55% front. You can run more rear but the car will swap ends under a panic brake event. So, putting 2 pot with 288s all around would put you around 50% brake bias. Very usable under "Ideal" conditions but not ideal for street use. You can get this setup to a more ideal one if you put a more aggressive pad on the front vs. the rear.

@oldmansan, if your mechanic does not like a split master setups then it is a reason besides being the best setup. He either does not understand how to make them work or has had to deal with ignorant drivers/owners. All race cars have brake bias systems so that drivers can adjust how the car drives. I have had a car that has had too much front bias which made the car push on corner entry. Adjust the bias more to the rear without changing anything else, the car became more neutral which only made it faster.

Later,
Eldon

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,040 Posts
Having an 11' Exige which has 308mm on the front with 4 pot and single pot rears, I can tell you that you do not want to go that way. The brake bais was so screwed up that you could not be on the brakes when you started corner entry. Switching to 2 pot rears helped but you could still not trail brake the car in to a corner. I tried different compounds, front and rear, and it still did not help. I switched to a brake bias system, not BOEs, and later to a custom 4 pot caliper setup all the way around.

The ideal brake bias is around 55% front. You can run more rear but the car will swap ends under a panic brake event. So, putting 2 pot with 288s all around would put you around 50% brake bias. Very usable under "Ideal" conditions but not ideal for street use. You can get this setup to a more ideal one if you put a more aggressive pad on the front vs. the rear.

@oldmansan, if your mechanic does not like a split master setups then it is a reason besides being the best setup. He either does not understand how to make them work or has had to deal with ignorant drivers/owners. All race cars have brake bias systems so that drivers can adjust how the car drives. I have had a car that has had too much front bias which made the car push on corner entry. Adjust the bias more to the rear without changing anything else, the car became more neutral which only made it faster.

Later,
Eldon
To be fair, he works on race cars exclusively, and may have not wanted to go that route for my car as I only drive on the street and canyons. I was literally the only customer with a street vehicle that he worked on when he was local. He also only recommended what I needed, not what I wanted, which saved me a lot of money. He's now in the area @Jack calls home.

San

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
@oldmansan Then your mechanic was working on the conservative side and protecting you from yourself. Since he is in @Jack area, would you say who he is or would you prefer not to?

Later,
Eldon

·
7,040 Posts
@oldmansan Then your mechanic was working on the conservative side and protecting you from yourself. Since he is in @Jack area, would you say who he is or would you prefer not to?

Later,
Eldon
Allen, of VSA Motorsports. I sure wish they were still local.

San

·
He's on fire!
3,159 Posts
So to summarize a bit of the above, 2 pot front and rear can be better if you know what you're doing, otherwise it will probably be worse. One option is the 5316 or the 5317 caliper, that will give you back some bias toward the front, but for the person we're talking about here, really unnecessary. If you're thinking about a track day you won't have enough skill to notice the difference for quite some time, so may as well keep the stock setup IMO.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
IMG_1144.JPG

I have this setup in my car and I'm happy with it. It has the pads that came with the kit. Now, I don't track my car so I won't be able to tell you how it performs on a track. I still have the factory brake system and ABS. Car brakes very fast.

·
7,040 Posts
View attachment 1254586
I have this setup in my car and I'm happy with it. It has the pads that came with the kit. Now, I don't track my car so I won't be able to tell you how it performs on a track. I still have the factory brake system and ABS. Car brakes very fast.
Looks to be the stock 308mm front setup with the rear portion of the "real" 4-wheel AP Racing BBK I have. Given the rear would have the Mintex Extreme pads, and the front a much less aggressive pad (stock), your car has shifted a lot of bias to the rear, which I find favors these cars. When I had the Mintex Extremes at all four corners it was too front biased.

San

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
It all comes down to your goals. The stock car, even with the rear sliders, is more than sufficient for all but the most discerning of track rats.

The goal with my car has always been to make it more aesthetically balanced because I feel like Lotus mixed some expensive looking parts with some cheap looking parts, and I wanted to change that.

With regards to the rear brakes, if you have the nice 4-pot front painted calipers with the logo, and the 2-piece larger rotors, the rear looks very cheap by comparison.

To me, the best looking caliper is the original Motorsport 7624, as well as the 2-piece rotors with the round hardware, so that's what I decided to add to the rear.

All said and done it was just too expensive to keep, and didn't produce the braking feel I wanted without spending even more money, so I kept the 2-piece rotors on the rear and I'm pretty happy with it.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts