The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, Arno suggests it might be a good idea to have suspension alignment checked every six months. I'm worried as to who to take it too. I know NTW used to do all the esprits for Lotus USA, I think they're now NTB, at any rate any ideas on who to do this, selfishly I'm looking for Atlanta area so some of you guys that live up that way might be able to help>
Chris

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI Huggy,
I live about 130 miles from them. You have a good point perhaps the dealership does four wheel alignment, I just kind of figured they might farm it out to a suspension shop. LOA will be moving in another month to a bigger place, I'll have to give them a call.
Chris
PS> Nice to see Rowan back!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Tire Discounters has "Free Alignment" and N2 (nitrogen) in place of crappy old air - I figure tires are good for about 6 months so I'm all set.? LOL

·
Registered
159 Posts
The best place in Atlanta to get an alignment is Gran Turismo East. I would never let a dealership or even worse a discount tire touch it. It looks like a crappy little shop, but the guy that does the alignments is an artist. Most people with high end sports cars and people that need their alignment set to their exact specifications go there.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
ConeFusion said:
Check with your local autocross folks, they normally know where to get a good alignment.
That's a good thought.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Aren't there some restrictions on how they lift the car?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Come to think of it GT east does all the work for Ferrari of Atlanta, I was their getting tires fitted, you're right it's a hole in the wall but seem to know what they're doing.

I plan to put x marks the spot stickers for the jack points.
Chris

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I would recommend taking the car to a shop that specializes in high-end cars and not to a discount tire shop.

I also would study up on how to lift the car and watch when it is done.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
zvezdah1 said:

I plan to put x marks the spot stickers for the jack points.
Chris
DAMN! That's a good idea. Now I just need to buy some wheel strap hold downs to put in the "Spacious" trunk in case I need towed.

Maybe get a list of ideas for "1o things you need to to do or buy when you get your Lotus".

Ferrari shop should be good for alignments. Plus they are used to overly protective owners too. Might be some $$$'s though.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
My car does have stickers for the jacking points. But I know my normal alignment shops uses those arms that rest under the sides.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, but...why would you need to know about jacking points if you're aligning a car? You want all the weight on the wheels, you don't want to lift it. Right?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Anyway, I really can't say enough good things about Gran Turismo East. I hope you give them a shot. I sure you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
del,
I'll probably check into them if the dealer doesn't do it themselves. FAF (later Ferrari Atlanta) only let them do any suspension work on their cars.

Chris

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
meat said:
I would recommend taking the car to a shop that specializes in high-end cars and not to a discount tire shop.

I also would study up on how to lift the car and watch when it is done.
The car does not have to be lifted.
the tires are often on turntable pads so adjustment can be made w/o friction bind at the tread/floor interface.
If a car is measured, picked up,' then lowered again the alignment is off as the suspension will show positive camber until the car is rolled back and forth a couple of times.

Anyway Your point about knowing the procedures and WATCHING the work being done is vital.
Somebody on one of the BMW forums took his M3 to the local chassis dyno (live axle pony car experts). Didn't bother to watch. Rear was strapped using the rear driveshafts. car sustained rear suspension/driveline damage and accelerated wear of the clutch components etc.
Plus the shop only compensated for visible damage as the owner was not knowledgeable about the car.
m.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
My points were two different ones.

I understand that car doesn't have to be lifted for a geo.

However, people will be taking their cars places and it will need to be lifted at some point - I would watch this closely.

Also, if you change ride height (I assume you will remove the wheels for this) so lifting without the wheels comes into play here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts