The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I know the topic of Sparco seat comfort has been covered to some degree. In my fairly active search for an Evora 400, I test drove one recently and found the seats more like an economy airline seat, that is, severely lacking in lumbar support. Granted could be partly due to my height (5'7") and body shape, and being a bit spoiled by BMW sport seats for many years, but they were really below my expectations/hopes.

I really want to like this car and not opposed to creative approaches to addressing seat comfort, but I'd like to know if the Evora GT seats are identical to those of the 400. The GT is out of my price range but still curious if any changes were made.

Appreciate any shared knowledge.
Howard

·
Registered
439 Posts
The S1 Recaro’s are brilliant. Wonder if a set could be retrofitted?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The S1 Recaro’s are brilliant. Wonder if a set could be retrofitted?
I've done a fair amount of searching on this as I struggle with S model w/better seats vs 400 w/lesser seats. THIS is the closest thread I've seen to fitting the Recaros to the 400.

My main issue with the Sparco's is the shape and lumbar support but more seem to have an issue with the height. In my short test drive I sensed being 'on' rather than 'in' the seats but at 5'7" it's not a huge issue for me.

·
Premium Member
7,541 Posts
Its as simkple as 4 bolts. Go to Recaro directly and order a set.

·
Registered
2017 Lotus Evora 400, manual
344 Posts
Same exact seats are used in the GT as the 400's.
They just have a different upholstery design and the carbon backs.
Really? Not doubting you because you'd know far more than I on this, but just surprised that in my short GT test drive they did seem different (slightly higher/firmer) as others have said as well. Is the cushioning thicker?
@DoubleH , I can understand what you're saying but personally they're very comfortable for me and I'm about the same height. Perhaps the design is intended to save weight compared to other seats?

·
Registered
341 Posts
The 400 seats suffer from the issue where the bolster becomes untucked. Has something been done the apparently same Sparco seats in the GT to stop this from happening?

·
Loves to talk
1,380 Posts
That was an early problem which has been resolved by installing upgraded clips for earlier cars and hasn't been an issue in Evoras since those first releases.

·
Registered
2017 Lotus Evora 400, manual
344 Posts
My '17 400 did have the bolster problem, fortunately fixed under warranty and no issue since.

·
Vendor
1,310 Posts
Really? Not doubting you because you'd know far more than I on this, but just surprised that in my short GT test drive they did seem different (slightly higher/firmer) as others have said as well. Is the cushioning thicker?
@DoubleH , I can understand what you're saying but personally they're very comfortable for me and I'm about the same height. Perhaps the design is intended to save weight compared to other seats?
I suppose there is a chance they changed the foam density on the seats between the two but they are identical.
I've had my personal GT side by side with a local 400 and we were comparing the seats with and without the rear spacer removed etc.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
That was an early problem which has been resolved by installing upgraded clips for earlier cars and hasn't been an issue in Evoras since those first releases.
The clips didn't hold for me. Now I have these sharp little clips sticking out. I don't reco that fix, I'm finally beat down to accepting them as untucked.

·
Loves to talk
1,380 Posts
Something's wrong there. The clips fixed mine perfectly but it took two tries. First go round they cocked it up. I had the dealer do it as it was under warranty. It is a 100% fix so I'd stay on the dealer or find an upholstery shop that will work with you. The seat needs to come out of the car for the clips to be installed properly.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Something's wrong there. The clips fixed mine perfectly but it took two tries. First go round they cocked it up. I had the dealer do it as it was under warranty. It is a 100% fix so I'd stay on the dealer or find an upholstery shop that will work with you. The seat needs to come out of the car for the clips to be installed properly.
yup, first time they just tried glue, second time seats out and clipped. 6 months later, a little untucked on both seats on the outside edge. front held ok after the clips.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
OP here. This thread took some very useful turns, appreciate all the info.

Drove an '18 400 today. In a generous 20-minute drive my lower back came out a bit sore. Sitting with good posture in the seat left 2-3" of air between my lower back and the seat. Leaning the seat back helped but not entirely. Sat in a GT as well, seats were a bit tighter width-wise in a good way and maybe felt slightly different in the lumbar area, hard to tell. I don't think they are 100% identical but GT is out of my price range anyway.

Loved everything else about the 400 so the seats wouldn't keep me from buying one, but definitely an issue that will need some kind of attention.

Its as simple as 4 bolts. Go to Recaro directly and order a set.
This thread says otherwise. I think airbag light would be an issue as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts