The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a chance to hang out with Elite "Guru" Mike O. at his shop today with some GGLC members who were there to learn about fiberglassing from Mike. After the session & lunch Mike opened up his "fleet" of Elites and Sevens to a few of us and we went for a drive.

I had the newest car, Mike drove his grey '57 Elite, Earl was in Mike's 7A (2nd owner car, completely original w/ 948cc BMC engine) and Jay was in Mike's white '59 Elite.

45 years separated the 3 vintage Lotus from the Elise, yet they all wore the same yellow & green badge & ALL were technically advanced. It's amazing how quick and well mannered the early Lotuses were. There's no wonder why Chapman quickly gained his reputation.

Kiyoshi

Attachments

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Meet Mike O at the Concourso Italiano. Indeed a early Lotus guru and great guy, even gave me a offer to check out and take a Loti or two out for a spin. :bow:

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LarryB said:
...even gave me a offer to check out and take a Loti or two out for a spin. :bow:
That's Mike! Mike's Lotus rental fleet!:clap:

I have to admit, one of my remaining Lotus wishes is to own an Elite.

The Elite has a full composite monocoque chassis (there's no steel! All fiberglass). Full independent 4 wheels suspension with the infamous Chapman strut in the rear. A lightweight all aluminum overhead cam engine, w/ a 4 spd box and 4 wheel disk brakes. All up it weighed about 1400 lbs and the Cd was less than 0.29.

As you read this description... would you think the Elite was a car of the 80's, 70's??? Hard to imagine it was introduced in 1956!

Compare it to the Elise - all extruded aluminum bonded chassis, 4 wheel A-arm suspension, lightweight aluminum engine, 4 wheel disk brakes (ABS)...

Kiyoshi

·
Supporting Vendor
4,357 Posts
Cool. Looks like great fun. I love the Elite. I hope to add one to my garage sometime in the future. Here's my fav:

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
James A said:
Wow, I do want an original 7 like the one in the picture!
Mike dyno'd that 7A... a WHOPPING 21 HP at the rear wheels!!!:)

Top speed is about 78 mph, but it feels like 150.:D

Jay who was driving Mike's white Elite vintage races a 7 (in a class that is dominated by Mustang GT350s & solid axle Corvettes) was there to repair a rear wing that had been broken by a 356 Porsche.

Kiyoshi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts