The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current article in Motor Trend, involving a
Ferrari Challenge Stradale, has the test-drive people saying that at 47.2"
high, the car is too low for street driving.
At 45.0" high, what does that say about our Elise? (* Maybe the Saffron one is taller.)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Maybe they mean that the ground clearance is too low for street driving rather than the overall height of the car.

Although they reference the overall height so I'm confused?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ACP said:
Maybe they mean that the ground clearance is too low for street driving rather than the overall height of the car.

Although they reference the overall height so I'm confused?
- The car is street-legal and I'm sure they aren't talking about ground clearance. It was tested against a Porsche GT-3.

·
Registered
157 Posts
In that case they are probably only stating their opinions rather than referring to any legal thing.

Mind you there are a lot of very big cars in the US that may struggle to see the small Elise.

Saffron should fix that though.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Well, I went to check out the website, then an ad popped up and took over my screen and my speakers. So I closed the browser.

Pop-ups have been blocked with many tools, so how do we block this other crap?

Anyway...

Perhaps they pulled all the SUV test drivers for this one.

Let's see:

Ferrari F50: 44"
McLaren F1: 44.9"
Diablo VT: 43.5"
Bugatti EB110: 44"
Viper GTS: 47"
Vette: ~47.7"
Maserati 3200: 51"

Hummer "PIG" H2:77.8" Oh joy!

Anyway.. I don't get these people.. That's why I stopped all US car rag subscriptions. Nothing but BS.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Genjuro said:
Well, I went to check out the website, then an ad popped up and took over my screen and my speakers. So I closed the browser.

Anyway...

Let's see:

Anyway.. I don't get these people.. That's why I stopped all US car rag subscriptions. Nothing but BS.
I'd give you some of my 'Chill Pills' but I consumed all of those saffron colored little beggars already.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ACP said:
In that case they are probably only stating their opinions rather than referring to any legal thing.

Mind you there are a lot of very big cars in the US that may struggle to see the small Elise.

Saffron should fix that though.
You can only drive it if you
bring up the air pressure to about 120 lbs and gain some height. School buses,
no matter what size, must have more height than 45", Saffron or no Saffron!
Sorry, but it's the law.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Genjuro said:

Anyway...

Let's see:

Can't I just change to larger tires on my Bugatti EB110? What about air-shock adjustment, that should help me get over the threshold,
shouldn't it?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does this mean that only super-tall guys like Brian K., the fellow who posted all those great photos of his 6'-5" body getting into the Elise, will have the visual
height level to drive the car? I knew this car was too good to be true. Why, oh why, couldn't I have been taller.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Genjuro said:

Use Safari on OS X?
:)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have the article and they are referring to the ground clearance, as both the Ferrari and Porsche are lowered compared to the standard models. I suspect the Elise will also scrape the ground on some driveway entrances and look out for speed bumps. Having said this my Seven has only about 4 inches of clearance and I havne't scraped it once, you jsut have to avoid the problem areas.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Too many of you are concerned about not enough inches:D

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
The GT40 was indirectly designed by Lotus. I saw a tv show (forget which one) that they were talking about it & they had a bunch of people giving their opinions on that subject - then at the end they roll out a Lotus 40(?) that was a spitting image of the GT40.

Guess that Lotus was working with someone and that someone "borrowed" the design when they went to work with Ford...

And here is a story on it from PistonHead's -

Lotus 40

Or you can buy 2 of them if you want from Holman Moody, the company that helped build them in the 60's:

GT 40 $$$$$$

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I think the original GT-40 chassis was supplied by or at least designed by Lola. I have never heard of any involvement by Lotus. The Mk4 was Hollman and Moody, I think. I am no hsitorian on Fords though.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
I have heard the same thing as Fury. Lotus still had a desire to compete in such races but mid project got out. Ford, which was already on board to provide the powertrain took over the project and completed it. You must remember the close ties the two companies shared at the time in racing (cortina for example) and production cars.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
Current article in Motor Trend, involving a
Ferrari Challenge Stradale, has the test-drive people saying that at 47.2"
high, the car is too low for street driving.
At 45.0" high, what does that say about our Elise? (* Maybe the Saffron one is taller.)
Who cares what motor trend says?

Does motor trend make the laws? Didn't think so.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
Does this mean that only super-tall guys like Brian K., the fellow who posted all those great photos of his 6'-5" body getting into the Elise, will have the visual height level to drive the car?
::stomp:: ::stomp:: ::stomp::

RAARR!! You make BrianK... angry!! ARGHARGHAAGARGRGRH

::stomp:: ::stomp:: ::stomp::

;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts