The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, this car has one very big problem. It is preventing me from working or doing anything else productive. All I can do is drive around in this little beast. SERIOUSLY!

I have owned several sports cars recently. Of note would be:

Porsche 993 coupe
Porsche 993 cab
BMW M5
Porsche 996 Turbo, 500+ HP
Ferrari F355 cab, Tubi Exhaust

Through friends I also have quite a bit of experience with other sports cars and exotics such as the more recent Ferrari's (Maranello, 360) and Lamborghinis, and Porsche GT2, GT3, and RUF (Porsches).

Bearing that in mind, in my opinion this little Elise is the most entertaining car to drive of them all. While the uniqueness ("wow" factor) probably won't last once people realize they're not looking at a rare, $150,000+ exotic, the visceral feeling the Elise brings out is unmatched.

The experience of the Elise is most comparable to that of the Ferrari 355, from the sound (the Elise exhaust is very similar to the Ferrari with Tubi, although a bit lower pitched) to the acceleration (very close), ride quality, and the handling (advantage: Elise). I don't know if it's the ride height or the short overhang of the front end over the front wheels, but I have yet to scrape the Elise whereas it was a common occurence in the 355.

The seats are extremely comfortable and supportive. How or why, I don't know, but they absolutely trounce the comfort and ride quality of the Porsche sport seats and I will even venture to say the Porsche GT3 seat (as seen in the Carrera GT).

I drove the car this morning with the soft top on, and in 90 degree Texas heat the air conditioning worked great (not such a large space to cool), although at 6'1", exiting the car with the top in place is not something you want to do in a very public place. Need that gullwing roof from Sector111 ASAP!!

Negatives:

Needing to press the alarm key button prior to starting the car. Why is this? If you lose your alarm key, or the battery dies, are you out of luck?

Sound at idle. It's almost Lexus like (ya ya I know). Would like a bit more "roar" at idle, but above 3,000 rpm's she sings beautifully.

Availability of power/performance upgrades. Coming from a 996TT, I'm a modaholic. Seems there would be more options as this is not a new engine.

There's gotta be more....I just can't think of em

That's all for now. Gotta go. Lots of "work" to do. ;)

Oh ya, headlights need to be adjusted up. and probably will go with PIAA replacements.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Matt,
As to the alarm, you only need to press the large button on the key fob if their's a delay in starting the car once you use the fob to unlock the door, ie if you unlock the door(deactivate the alarm) the sensor will retrigger the immobilizer if you don't start the car in a specified period of time, the red light on the dash will be blinking if this is the case, if not you don't need to hit the fob button a second time.. I'd recommend reading the alarm section in the manual, it's pretty helpful in telling you what options you have with the alarm.
Chris

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
MJC123 said:
While the uniqueness ("wow" factor) probably won't last once people realize they're not looking at a rare, $150,000+ exotic...
They're looking at a rare, $45,000+ exotic! :D

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>They're looking at a rare, $45,000+ exotic! <<<

Well if the Elise will have say 2,200 samples produced year 1 that is pretty rare. Anyone know how many US 360s are made each year? I heard about 2-3,000 but can't confirm this.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
On the alarm, I believe you have 45 seconds to ignite the engine.

The car draws more attention than anything I've ever seen. It's hard to get used to it. Everytime I come out of a store, there's people walking around it. But it's MINE ALL MINE!!!:D :clap:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Until some Bart Simpson YOINKKKKS IT?

Surferjer said:
On the alarm, I believe you have 45 seconds to ignite the engine.

The car draws more attention than anything I've ever seen. It's hard to get used to it. Everytime I come out of a store, there's people walking around it. But it's MINE ALL MINE!!!:D :clap:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts