The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alfa Romeo 4C vs. Lotus Evora 3.5 V6

I've made up my mind on the evora and I'm just sitting around waiting for the right opportunity to take the plunge, but here's a pretty nifty side by side article between the evora and the upcoming 4c, a vehicle that is winning lots of praise from auto critics, one that I at one point contemplated seriously about against the evora, but has since crossed out after deciding i'd like to have some pseudo backseats in my next car after owning 2 roadsters convert back-to-back. Credit where it's due, I really hope the 4c makes it big here, it's beautiful looking despite those spider eyes (which I heard the designers are working furiously at trying to bring it back to the concept glass cover version), and from the clips I've seen, the 4banger in that sounds nothing like what I thought 4cyls would sound.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
165 Posts
That article was apallingly bad.

"All in all, the Evora is a fantastic car, but it is outclassed here today. A year ago we'd have said that nothing can offer the sound, straight line pace and the responsiveness of an Evora for the same money, but we can now recommend a car - the 4C - that achieves this for less money."

So, the conclusion implies that the 4C sounds better than Evora even after they explicitly said earlier in the article that it doesn't.

"I know Alfa have done a great job with their exhaust, but there is nothing they can do about the meaty sound of the Evora's V6. It just sounds better."

And what about this bit?

"Now, I am a BIG Lotus fan and the Evora in white with black alloys was once my favourite looking car money could buy. It isn't any more. The Alfa just looks better and more purposeful."

This is just ridiculous. Both cars are gorgeous and trying to claim that one looks better than the other at a level other than personal preference is silly.

"As noted, the Lotus is a fine car and it still looks great on any driveway. But the 4C is just the better car. It's as simple as that."

Um, no. If nothing else, the 4C fails for not having a manual transmission available--something that the author even acknowledges himself earlier in the article:

"It cannot match the ability of Porsche's PDK and it lacks the involvement of the 6-speed manual you get in the Evora."

And the article mentions nothing about the fact that the Evora is substantially larger car with a semi-useful back seat.

The author should maybe at least try and be objective the next time he sets pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard).

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts
I realize they used the Evora because of engine capabilities, but size-wise, closer to Elise? WB is just 3 inches longer than Elise, but 7 inches shorter than Evora. Length is 8 inches longer than Elise (could be just modern bumper requirements) versus 14 inches shorter than Evora.

Looks like a terrific car, but will be interesting to see price. You can't compare US prices with prices in other countries, but all the car mags say it will cost $55-$60k, but the prices for the regular car in Australia are between US$70k and $80k, and the Launch Edition prices are US$100k-$107k.

They won't be that high in the US, but assume even if the base price is $55,000, with options, $65k, and there will probably be a "dealer market adjustment price" of another $10k for the first cars brought in.

The Evora is now a 6-8 year old car, in terms of design? Oh, what a few hundred million could do!!

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
It reminded of of when my high school speech teacher said, "you shouldn't start a topic with, 'I think'. When you make it obvious it's your opinion, people start questioning its validity."

That article was apallingly bad.

"All in all, the Evora is a fantastic car, but it is outclassed here today. A year ago we'd have said that nothing can offer the sound, straight line pace and the responsiveness of an Evora for the same money, but we can now recommend a car - the 4C - that achieves this for less money."

So, the conclusion implies that the 4C sounds better than Evora even after they explicitly said earlier in the article that it doesn't.

"I know Alfa have done a great job with their exhaust, but there is nothing they can do about the meaty sound of the Evora's V6. It just sounds better."

And what about this bit?

"Now, I am a BIG Lotus fan and the Evora in white with black alloys was once my favourite looking car money could buy. It isn't any more. The Alfa just looks better and more purposeful."

This is just ridiculous. Both cars are gorgeous and trying to claim that one looks better than the other at a level other than personal preference is silly.

"As noted, the Lotus is a fine car and it still looks great on any driveway. But the 4C is just the better car. It's as simple as that."

Um, no. If nothing else, the 4C fails for not having a manual transmission available--something that the author even acknowledges himself earlier in the article:

"It cannot match the ability of Porsche's PDK and it lacks the involvement of the 6-speed manual you get in the Evora."

And the article mentions nothing about the fact that the Evora is substantially larger car with a semi-useful back seat.

The author should maybe at least try and be objective the next time he sets pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard).

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
the latest car and driver, aaron robinson reviews a euro spec 4c and loves it, but notes that the us version will cost an unknown amount and will likely weigh 2400-2600 wet..and rasises some concern but praises the overall concept.

Ive read a lot of conflicting reviews of the 4c already...the evo coty competition springs to mind (they weren't huge fans)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I was waiting and waiting for the 4c and when they announced the unknown weight increase in the US Market, I jumped ship and got my Evora. As of now the 4c is still vapor ware and I am enjoying Evora ownership; this alone makes the Evora the better car. For now.

I've read and seen video reviews that are directly opposed to this one. I've heard that the steering wheel was awful, that the transmission was amazing, and that the sound was miserable. I've heard reviewers lament that the Alfa wasn't faster, while others touted it's performance on the ring.

For me, as I've always done, I'll wait and review the actual car itself. If the car weighs 2500lbs though, I already know how I'll feel about it. If they can get closer to the 2000lb mark they may have a winner.

·
Super Moderator
6,820 Posts
The Evora is a better car to compare the 4C with than the Elise/Exige, but solely based on articles it appears that it doesn't handle very well. If you're interested in an Evora, odds are that handling is one of the more important considerations.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,469 Posts
I guess I value a radio, A/C etc that the Alpha doesn't have. Once loaded with what Americans want it won't be nearly that light.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Interesting, for a car that was suppose to be more aligned with the Elise/Exige, its now being compared to the heavier and pricier Evora.

I like the 4C and I think it will do well in the states.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I like the looks of the 4C and really hope it does well. Personally I can't see myself going back to a 4 cylinder car. Maybe an Elige as a full time track car. If anything I'm looking at getting something Italian but with 12 cylinders.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I hope the 4C does well, if only so that it proves there is still a market for elemental sports cars and provide some impetus for Lotus to bring in a new/updated Elige.

·
Illegal Alien
5,352 Posts
A great concept, poor execution. US launch now delayed again to Q2 14, weight gain 220#s over euro version, price est. Now $86k up from 50's, no high power version to states, oh and brakes from the dodge dart, oh how I love that feel and feedback.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,469 Posts
I agree I couldn't do the 4 cylinder or the headlights. I wonder if the headlights are so unique that they would not be able to move away from them in future years since it is their "look" for that model. We'll see. Pricing too......

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
That article is interesting but as mentioned horrible to read. I love Alfa but much prefer lotus as a brand but the 4c intrigued me. I'm looking for a more refined gt type lotus and from all the reviews I've read the 4c is closer to an Elise and a raw experience. I also tend to lean toward the English rags like evo and car and their opinions on cars. While car like the 4c they said it wasn't perfect but evo said the 4cs engine drones, sounds bad, and it has a horrible steering. They liked the idea of the car and the fact it's better built than an Elise but it didn't stir them as much as the lotus. For me that sold it, they know cars and are biased like us toward true fun cars and the 4c in their opinion falls short.

Ill probably test a 4c but I feel it and the evora are different class of cars

·
Registered
268 Posts
Are the journalists still not allowed to put the 4C on a scale?
Its zero to 62 figure indicates it does either have serious problems with traction or it is much heavier than advertised. A S2 Exige isnt slower without paddle shift and launch control.
That said the 4C is a beautiful and very interesting car and I'm already in queue for a test drive.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lckitty said:
I agree I couldn't do the 4 cylinder or the headlights. I wonder if the headlights are so unique that they would not be able to move away from them in future years since it is their "look" for that model. We'll see. Pricing too......
I've read an interview with some big honcho from alfa mentioning they're aware of the controversial headlights and are actively working on a solution to revert it back to the concept's headlights. Truthfully, I don't really have an issue with the spidery eyes, and I actually feel that in today's daylight LEDs strips world, these spidery ones actually makes it pretty distinct and stand out from the rest of the crowd, not to mention its pretty sinister looking. My only gripe with the headlight is the expose housing. Slap some glass cover over those eyes and I think the car visual is perfect.

cornbeef said:
While car like the 4c they said it wasn't perfect but evo said the 4cs engine drones, sounds bad, and it has a horrible steering... They liked the idea of the car and the fact it's better built than an Elise but it didn't stir them as much as the lotus.
I think for a 4banger, this sounds much better than many of the fart cans lawnmowers we have here around OC. As far as steering goes, I've mostly read that it felt weird and awkward to initially, but once you're used to it, that it should be as fun and precise as the lotus. I will definitely do a test drive when avail to see if this is true. But I do definitely agree, there is just so much more excitement for me to see an evora... can't say the same for the 4c, but i still gotta say, its quite a gorgeous italian car.

·
Registered
165 Posts
A great concept, poor execution. US launch now delayed again to Q2 14, weight gain 220#s over euro version, price est. Now $86k up from 50's, no high power version to states, oh and brakes from the dodge dart, oh how I love that feel and feedback.
I hadn't seen that "86K" price mentioned before. Where did you see that?

My only gripe with the headlight is the expose housing. Slap some glass cover over those eyes and I think the car visual is perfect.
Have you seen the headlights with the optional carbon fiber housing? I think that looks much better than the base plastic.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.