The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to lotus, but a long time car guy. My VW vans never had cupholders. What did I do?

Instructions:

1) buy a large roll of duct tape (bigger diameter the better)
2) remove cellophane wrapping, if applicable.
3) set duct tape on flat surface within reaching distance of driver.
4) place beverage in center hole of duct tape.

The stickiness on the side of the duct tape keeps the cupholder from moving in most circumstances. I wouldn't recommend pushing the cloverleaves, but normal driving should not be a problem. Aditionally, the duct tape never has left a mark in any of the VW's i've owned but ymmv. Take the duct tape and set it on edge when parked in hot weather if very worried. If you really wanted to go fancy, you could put something on the edge of the roll of duct tape that would stick to carpet with no chance of marking. Maybe glue on a sheet of rubber? go wild.

There you go, $5, will accept most normally sized cups, no mounting required, use as many as you can find floor space for. Removable in seconds.

Who said duct tape can't fix everything? I'll be using this trick driving my new (no touring pack) car home, e.g. highway miles. I will take pictures and report where in the elise/exige seems a good spot for this. My guess is on the aluminium just fore of the passenger seat. That way if it does ever leave any adhesive (it won't) you can remove with a solvent leaving no evidence of the problem.

take care,

GM

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I have gotten good at driving with a cup between my legs

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I dont drink hot drinks

Infact I rarely get food/drinks out when I'm in my elise

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi all,
There you go, $5,
take care,

GM
a box of honeycomb teapots is fruity and crayons are not as big as a chocolate baloon with my mocha.
I'm think I'm going to put lego in the toilet.

take care,

GM
:wallbang:

·
Registered
433 Posts
how much does it weigh? :)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
how much does it weigh? :)
Someone needs to perform an experiment: unroll the tape until the roll doesn't stick down properly, then put just enough back on. Minimum weight! :coolnana:

·
Registered
821 Posts
:thwack:

Was looking for banging head against wall icon...but the Thwack will do.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
OK, just to make it clear, apparently at least one person was confused:

You do absolutely no mods to your car, you don't even take the tape off the roll.

Simplified directions:
Set entire roll of duct tape on flat surface with its hole facing vertically.
put cup into hole.

I took pictures but can't get them off my camera phone. I'll keep trying.

GM

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
1) buy a large roll of duct tape (bigger diameter the better)
2) remove cellophane wrapping, if applicable.
3) set duct tape on flat surface within reaching distance of driver.
4) place beverage in center hole of duct tape.

The stickiness on the side of the duct tape keeps the cupholder from moving...
That's kind of tacky.

·
Registered
40 Posts
As a new Lotus owner I was pondering the cup holder subject and wondering if Starbucks would fill up a Bota bottle for me; then the cream and sweetner would be a challange too... I always carry 100mph tape (better than duct tape) in my BMW coupe in case I need to make a repair. It seems reasonable to do in the Elise too.

While a bit off point, but in the spirit of minimalist creature comforts in a Lotus, might I recommend the most lightweight hands free device I have encountered:
:shift:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pictures as promised.

Red tape to make my car faster. Set on the alloy in the event of adhesive transfer it can be removed in 5 sec with 3m adhesive remover or toluene.

gm

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts