The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
the exige is wonderful, looks like a great build!

the SLC is my dream "project car"...I have lots of ideas for one of those..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The SLC looks great but however we cannot race it under our GT regulations here..

With regards to the Quaife transmission, it's worked out very well for us, we've used it for the whole of last season, 5 races & another 4hour endurance race & its never missed a beat, also the dog rings have not needed replacing so far..
I would definitely recommend it..

I have attached a simple video of the transmission in action on the dyno:
500whp Lotus GT3 turbo MoTeC Quaife Geartronics .wmv - YouTube

We're using it with the Geartronics peddle shifter & MoTeC M800.
I've included a picture of the complete Geartronics kit as well..
We're still running the factory Lotus 'Drive By Wire' throttle, this way we can do a flat 'upshift' as well as 'auto-blip' on downshift. It's also integrated into the driver adjustable traction control system.

This opens up a couple of advantages for us, the shift time is typically 100ms or less & also because we can 'flat-shift' on a turbo car we don't lose any boost since the throttle plate is never closed, this gains nearly 3km/hr every shift as it does not suffer from any 'turbo-lag'. Lastly the driver can use his left foot to brake just like in a GT car, allowing for 'throttle-brake' overlap as well as higher & more consistent brake pressure since he does not need to slide his foot across the throttle to 'heel to toe' blip..

·
Registered
309 Posts
What does a setup like that run, I have gotten really used to the F1 system on my 355 and might be interested in doing that to the Elise, as well I know I am really pushing my luck with the current tranny with as much power as I am making.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
The SLC looks great but however we cannot race it under our GT regulations here..

With regards to the Quaife transmission, it's worked out very well for us, we've used it for the whole of last season, 5 races & another 4hour endurance race & its never missed a beat, also the dog rings have not needed replacing so far..
I would definitely recommend it..

I have attached a simple video of the transmission in action on the dyno:
500whp Lotus GT3 turbo MoTeC Quaife Geartronics .wmv - YouTube

We're using it with the Geartronics peddle shifter & MoTeC M800.
I've included a picture of the complete Geartronics kit as well..
We're still running the factory Lotus 'Drive By Wire' throttle, this way we can do a flat 'upshift' as well as 'auto-blip' on downshift. It's also integrated into the driver adjustable traction control system.

This opens up a couple of advantages for us, the shift time is typically 100ms or less & also because we can 'flat-shift' on a turbo car we don't lose any boost since the throttle plate is never closed, this gains nearly 3km/hr every shift as it does not suffer from any 'turbo-lag'. Lastly the driver can use his left foot to brake just like in a GT car, allowing for 'throttle-brake' overlap as well as higher & more consistent brake pressure since he does not need to slide his foot across the throttle to 'heel to toe' blip..
Wow, very glad to hear about the Quaife! I've had good success with mine so far (knocking on wood) ... but to hear you putting 500 wHP thru it and it lasting a long time is awesome news!! Looks like you're running a oil cooler setup for the Quaife ... any chance you can provide details on that? What clutch/flywheel and gearing set did you go with?

Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers, Rob.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thanks for the video. It looks like the steering wheel is a bit large and the driver seems to be exerting a lot of effort turning the car. Is the steering still manual?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hi the car is currently lying 3rd in the Championship.
In the video I was driving the car, as you can see, barely just hanging on..
It has good straight line speed, but still lacks traction in the corners & more work needs to be done with the brakes..

It is about 5 sec off the pace of a 2012 spec factory GT3 car. However the straight line speed is impressive for a little Toyota 1800. It currently crosses the speed trap at the same speed as an Audi R8 LMS. It can hang onto the Radical SR8 on the straights & pull away from a Porsche 997 Cup car. 100-200km/hr is under 6sec.

Take pride guys, this one was for all the Toyota Powered boys out there. Next year the owner is terminating this project & starting on another monster project.

Thank you very much for all the encouragement & comments, we just wanted to share it with you guys.. keep pushing the limits!! :)

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
It can hang onto the Radical SR8 on the straights & pull away from a Porsche 997 Cup car
...wondering what that feels like - and am very jealous...

Thanks for keeping us updated - truly amazing car.

·
Older but getting faster
523 Posts
DaMn!! -eek-:eek::drool:

He blew by the other Loti like they had Tecumseh engines. :bow:

21 - 38 of 38 Posts