The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a 98TT with new rear end and OZ's. Looks great. Can't tell if it drives great as I've not driven any others.

In any case would you shy away from it? And what would be a good price? I'm thinking with low mileage in late 30's - $40k perhaps $28k?

·
Registered Insane
290 Posts
I just bought a 2004 FE with 26,xxx on the odo. Althought it has more miles on it than I preferred, it did have most of the service records. There are some 00-03 Esprit's with decent mileage selling in the mid $30's to low $40's. I'd try to get a newer one with fewer miles if it's in your budget and the location isn't a problem.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I'm considering a 98TT with new rear end and OZ's. Looks great. Can't tell if it drives great as I've not driven any others.

In any case would you shy away from it? And what would be a good price? I'm thinking with low mileage in late 30's - $40k perhaps $28k?
Even though it has a lot of miles on it, for the right price it can be a good buy BUT:

You get the service records and everything is up to date
Check the date code on the tires
You may need a clutch soon and possibly a rebuild on the turbos
A compression test shows good pressures
A PPI is done

Depending on the answers the car can be worth as much as $45K or as little as $15K or maybe you don't want it at any price. That is what the PPI is meant to do, help to determine the car's current condition and with that, set a value.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much is a clutch and turbo? I'm trying to consider whether it would be better to spend $12k more on one with lower miles. I would think $30k is a good deal in almost any case. But you scare me when you say a cosmetically beautiful and nice driving V8 can still be worth as little as $12k with some surprises. That sounds like 355 talk -eek-

·
Registered
276 Posts
50,000 miles on a car built in 1998 is not a lot of miles. That's roughly 3,000 miles a year.

With a 16 year old car it's more about condition than miles.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I found out, the more you use the Esprit v8 the more becomes dependable and less issue in electrical and mechanical. Believe me or not.....

Sitting in the garage does a lot of harm.
However, i can't stop the self oiling system...lol:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Beerman is :up:

At 3k miles per year that is modest usage. The issue is condition. I have always pointed out that the more rational method is to think along aircraft lines - hours of use is the base measure. Proper maintenance is the key. The more you can determine about condition and maintenance the better.

·
Registered Insane
290 Posts
Beerman is :up:

At 3k miles per year that is modest usage. The issue is condition. I have always pointed out that the more rational method is to think along aircraft lines - hours of use is the base measure. Proper maintenance is the key. The more you can determine about condition and maintenance the better.
You are 100% correct, and that was my feeling when I bought my 2004 with 26k on the odo. It had all service records and appeared to be well maintained by the prior owner. However, after dropping the car off at my local mechanic, there were a lot of little things that needed to be addressed. The Lotus Stealer that serviced the car prior had taken a lot of shortcuts which could have caused some major problems if not corrected.

Evoking, before you really consider buying the higher mileage car, make sure you have a local mechanic who is very familiar with the Esprit. Do not buy a Lotus if you don't have a good mechanic. If you want to call me send me a PM with your cell number. I have a lot of insight on what to look for as I just purchased mine 2wks ago.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Just the parts for the clutch can be $3.5-4K and to rebuild both turbos assuming no housing damage can be $1K. There is always the "just because you are there" syndrome that can make it cost even more and I did not include the labor to R & R. I agree 50,000 miles is not a lot if you spread it over the years but that is not the way mileage is accumulated and in any case by the time you accumulate that many miles you need to expect some parts to be near the wear limits of their lifetimes (like an aircraft). Now we get to the service records. If you can see that a clutch was replaced at some point in the past you can recalculate when it will be due to be replaced. Not knowing that, (or not seeing any work on it in the records) you have to assume it is original and is due. Turbos too. The service history can also give clues as to how the car was driven (flogged) and taken care of. Maybe a PO had a lead foot or maybe he babied the car and you might still have some life left in it.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So what sort of major things should I look for in evaluating? I do plan to have a PPI done as well. But after shopping 355 I am hoping the Esprit will feel cheap in terms of the amount of big ticket issues I can encounter after purchase.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
So what sort of major things should I look for in evaluating? I do plan to have a PPI done as well. But after shopping 355 I am hoping the Esprit will feel cheap in terms of the amount of big ticket issues I can encounter after purchase.
You want to make sure everything is working as it should. You want to check the date code on the tires. You want to know if and when the timing belts were last checked or changed. Clutch, fluids, and filters too. You are looking for accident history and how the car was cared for. A neglected or abused car will cost you more, especially as it ages, because parts will wear out sooner rather than later on a car that was flogged. A seller that was diligent with service will make a point of showing it is up to date because of all of the money he spent and will ask a premium price because of that. A car without records is one to be skeptical of.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lastly, how much does it cost to update the rear end to 2004? I have access to a yellow 98 with 50k miles and updated rear end, great condition. Or a red 2001 with 20k miles also in great condition but no rear update. Only $5k separates these. Sounds like I should do the 2001?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Lastly, how much does it cost to update the rear end to 2004? I have access to a yellow 98 with 50k miles and updated rear end, great condition. Or a red 2001 with 20k miles also in great condition but no rear update. Only $5k separates these. Sounds like I should do the 2001?
MidLifeZ a member here had it done for 1000.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I got the rear panel from UMB out of Thailand, under $300 shipped and arrived in under 7 days, add in $200 for paint (my body guy is not only a wizard but cheap too... though may be due to volume of business I have sent him), then $500-600 for the lights. I installed myself so that saved some money of course.. Took about 6 hours is all...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kenny, thanks for the feedback. Are you in Dallas - and if so would you be willing to meet? I have only driven this one and need a basis to judge this car. Also looking at a red one that is not local.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Kenny, thanks for the feedback. Are you in Dallas - and if so would you be willing to meet? I have only driven this one and need a basis to judge this car. Also looking at a red one that is not local.
Yup, work in Irving near 183 and 161
PM me

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I know this thread is about a TT but I bought my S4 with 89K miles and had to some up to date maintenance but I was expecting to do that. It had all service records though.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Maybe its just me, but I never liked the later round tail light setup. Looks like it was borrowed from a Corvette. The original Stevens-style ex-Toyota tail lamps fit the car, especially with the black plinth. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
IMHO it is not worth it to buy a car and spend the money to change the rear to the round lights. If you are buying a a car keep looking till you find what you want even if it costs a little more. The money spent changing the rear will not make the car worth a penny more. It is not just the fiberglass. You have to get the lights, muffler, and "cheesegrater" grill. You also have to modify the wiring harness to fit the lights.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
IMHO it is not worth it to buy a car and spend the money to change the rear to the round lights. If you are buying a a car keep looking till you find what you want even if it costs a little more. The money spent changing the rear will not make the car worth a penny more. It is not just the fiberglass. You have to get the lights, muffler, and "cheesegrater" grill. You also have to modify the wiring harness to fit the lights.
David Teitelbaum
While true that it doesnt add value, it is kind of like wheels in that one persons taste may not be another. For me I think it modernizes the car. Overall though I like both though like the OEM better with the clear corners.

Not understanding, unless you mean to tie the round lights together to later look overall, why new muffler, cheesegrater, etc. is required. Mark, the PO of mine, had upgraded/changed :), to it before I bought my Esprit. Wiring harness is easy.

I would not have done the round lights if it was not reversible. Admittedly a PITA to go back but can be done nonetheless...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts