The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

HDTV Monitor: Enjoy high-definition programming from cable or satellite with a set top box or separate HDTV tuner

16:9 Aspect Ratio: For cinematic widescreen viewing

High-Brightness Picture System: Optical system and picture tubes are engineered for optimum performance of HDTV-level materials

VirtualHD Digital Video Processing: Upgrades conventional signals to near HD quality for a sharp, well-defined picture, regardless of source.

3:2 Correction/26-Point Motion Adaptive Interpolation: Ensures smooth, seamless display of both film- and video-originated programming.

DVI-HDTV: Digital input that provides compatibility with the latest generation of digital set-top boxes

Magic Focus Convergence: Automatically aligns the picture for optimum performance at the touch of a button

Intuitive User Interface: Logical on-screen navigation for simplified system operation

Universal Remote: Preprogrammed to operate other brand system components

Dimensions (HxWxD, in.).....50-1/8x48-3/4x25-1/16

Weight (lbs.)........238

$1800 obo

6 months old
Pick up only. Located in West Bend, WI 53095

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Where's the steering wheel?

0-60 performance? Mpg?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Hollywood said:
0-60 channels in 6.1 secs
Now that's my kind of channel surfing.

Have a 56" Toshiba 16x9 myself. Discovery HD is fairly impressive. Wish Speed Channel would come out in high def.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hollywood said:
[...]
Weight (lbs.)........238

$1800 obo

6 months old
Pick up only. Located in West Bend, WI 53095
:rolleyes:
Why would I pay $1800 for a used TV when I can get the same TV brand new from Sears for $1699.99???

I guess $1800 may be the cheapest listing in the "Cars for sale" section.

With LCD projection TVs out now, CRT projection TV prices have been dropping significantly. I bought my 53" Hitachi HDTV monitor 2 years ago for $2700. You can now get a 50" LCD projection TV for that much; better yet, they are relatively small and light (< 100 lbs.), perfect for the Elise fan.

By the way, my cousin bought a 51" Sony floor model from the Good Guys for $1100. Good luck getting more than that for your used TV.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I paid $2500 for my 55" projection TV a year or two ago. I've regretted the purchase since I got it. The thing is too damn big and gets a crappy picture. I wish I had gotten an LCD projector or plasma instead, or had waited a year for prices to drop. My thinking was that it would be a temporary solution until plasma prices dropped. Today, I could get a plasma for the price I paid for this POS. :(

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'd really be honest with yourself when looking at plasmas. Believe me when I say that I love the slim look of a plasma, and would jump at getting one. BUT...

Have you seen the picture that plasmas give you with anything below the quality of DVD or high-def? I gotta tell you that what I've seen is just awful. If you've been unhappy with the picture from you current projection TV, don't let the cool look of a plasma draw you in.

Unless you're watching HDTV or at least DVD-quality, you'll be rationalizing the poor picture quality to yourself and others. I'm sure these comments will upset those who have plasmas, but a bad picture is a bad picture.

I would hate to see anyone convince themselves to buy such an item without considering its real-world performance. Make sure, if you do get a plasma, that you can return it without cost if you don't like the picture. Believe me, if I could watch everything in hi-def, I would. :)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
we're extremely happy with the picture on our 30" LCD TV in our bedroom--on everything from 480i to 480p to 1080i

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
I love my plasma. :)

Digital pics don't do it justice, but this is standard cable feed on the 42" set-

This is a CSI HDTV screen shot

·
Registered
100 Posts
What brand is your plasma, Randy? How long have you had it and, if you're willing, a ballpark price?

Sounds like you're pretty happy with it...

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
CDubYa said:
What brand is your plasma, Randy? How long have you had it and, if you're willing, a ballpark price?

Sounds like you're pretty happy with it...
It is an Akai. At the time, I was only looking for a Panasonic, after I had done a TON of research on sets. But Costco had this sweet deal and I love their return policy. I can return this set, no questions asked, for up to two years after purchase. An unscrupulous person could even return it knowing the prices will drop and technology improve just shy of two years, but I would not do that. It's a comforting thing for me though to have that option.

I paid after rebates, $2900 I think. With wall mount bracket. I also bought a table top stand. This set has the built in audio amplifier which was important for me at the trade shows (my excuse for buying it!).

This was over a year ago, so I would do more research now if I was buying a new set. Go here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=40

1 - 12 of 12 Posts