The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was able to achieve 52.5MPG on a road trip from Berkeley to Carmel and back last weekend:clap:.
The car was my 2006 Jetta TDI-DSG (w-Revo chip). The car usually gets 38-40 MPG on my daily commute(10miles city/30 miles freeway each way).
I love the monstrous torque and MPG of this car:up:.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
It must have been downhill both ways. -poke-

That's amazing for a German car!
Is it a Diesel?

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, the entire trip is fairly flat. And yes it is surely a diesel. Huge torque for a 1.9L engine:up:..

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
The tax rate is different for diesel so it ends up costing more at the pump.
I believe I can achieve over 50MPG in the Elise as well. There's this section of the freeway near my home, it is on a 7% grade decline.

Fill up at the gas station at the top of the hill, drive downhill (cruise down), fill up at the bottom. =)

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's what I don't get about diesel. If it's cheaper to make than gasoline, why is it more expensive than premium? :confused:
I do find it on occasion cheaper than gas but it is saddled with super high road taxes for the truckers who do most of the damage to our roads. There should be an auto grade diesel.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I believe I can achieve over 50MPG in the Elise as well. There's this section of the freeway near my home, it is on a 7% grade decline.

Fill up at the gas station at the top of the hill, drive downhill (cruise down), fill up at the bottom. =)
I just started coasting on the downhill sections of my(boring) commute to see how high I can get my MPG. If you have ever owned a TDI you would understand. In berkeley there are thousands of Prius' that get way less highway MPG than most diesels. Oh, and what do you do with all of those spent batteries once the are ready to be replaced?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
In my former TDI I got 50 mpg tank after tank after tank in the summer with mixed driving. It drops down a bit in the winter here in the midwest.

My current TDI usually gets 48 mpg in mixed driving in the summer, and 46 mpg in the winter. It only touches 50 mpg on highway trips.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts