The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have any idea why these models are the same price now. The maranello was in the Murciellago, Vanquish class with the 360 in the Gallardo, 911 TT, class and now there the same price...:shrug:

At 80K for either car, what would you take?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
^ WHOA...I dont think you can get either the 550 or 360 for close to 80k. The only car on that list for 80k would be an older 911 tt.

If you can pick up a 550 in good condition for 80s...would anyone like to buy my lotus?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Supply and Demand. The GT class, front engine Ferrari's just aren't as appealling as the mid engine V8 rides to a lot of people. You're looking at $100k for a 550. A 456 might be had in the $60's, though.

·
Registered
571 Posts
your first service on either car will cost as much as your elise.

well.. almost.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ferrari

Currently looking for a 575. Have not found anything less than 105,000. The 360 I believe will contin. to depreciate much faster than the 575 as # produced were high in comparison. 360 is is an 8 cylinder vs 12 with no race history and questionable dated looks. The 575 due to low # and good looks will prob. begin to appreciate. My opioion with 20 yrs of collecting.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why would you go for the 575 over the 550? I dont remember the changes made but they look the same other than wheels. Funny you mentioned the 360 looking dated. I was just thinking how its ten years old and still looks pretty modern.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
IMO the 360 looks better than the 550, and probably handles better too due to its mid engine layout and lower weight(the 360 is 500lbs lighter!)

Straight line speed the 550 wins, but If i wanted straight line speed I could spend 20k on a used c5 zo6 and put a blower on it:rolleyes:

The 360 is a car I wish to one day own, regardless of newer faster cars.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Until it's time for service, then the front engine cars are way cheaper to have serviced.

The V12s are supposed to be more costly to maintain.

Why would you go for the 575 over the 550? I dont remember the changes made but they look the same other than wheels. Funny you mentioned the 360 looking dated. I was just thinking how its ten years old and still looks pretty modern.

575 gets a better engine and some minor styling changes. Not sure what other changes came out.

As someone on Ferrarichat so rightfully said, "If you can't afford a good Ferrari, you sure as hell can't afford a bad one." In other words...don't cheap out and get the lowest priced car out there.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unless the lowest price car is perfectly fine. I cant see paying more just to pay more. I understand lower priced cars are usually closer to having to be serviced.

As far as the maintainace costs. Mid engined cars are more expensive to work on than front, while V12's are more costly to maintain than 8's. So I would guess you would have pretty similar costs between the two cars.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
We have (?had - don't know if it has sold) a 550 for sale in town with new clutch for low $90Ks. Silver over red interior. 14K on the clock IIRC.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Anyone have any idea why these models are the same price now. The maranello was in the Murciellago, Vanquish class with the 360 in the Gallardo, 911 TT, class and now there the same price...:shrug:

At 80K for either car, what would you take?
as someone mentioned and most dealer would say is that more "people" are attracted to the 360 sporty style much more than a GT car

but for me if i keep the exige i'd def get the 550, but if getting a fcar means i need to get rid of the exige then the 360 spider would have to be it
:shift:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
We have (?had - don't know if it has sold) a 550 for sale in town with new clutch for low $90Ks. Silver over red interior. 14K on the clock IIRC.
You guys are seriously tempting me!

I'll have to get on the ferrarichat forum and start looking up what actually goes into service and seperate fact from myth.

I currently do all my service on a vette and lotus...how different can it be? As long as I can get the parts, I can do the work.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
You guys are seriously tempting me!

I'll have to get on the ferrarichat forum and start looking up what actually goes into service and seperate fact from myth.

I currently do all my service on a vette and lotus...how different can it be? As long as I can get the parts, I can do the work.
and the TIME...for most people that buy these cars, time is of the essence...to them time IS money, thats why they would rather get it service than do it themselves

if you do get one...i got dibs on the shotgun seat...u know where u can find me LOL

·
Registered
369 Posts
It is my understanding from the 355 model and on, service and maintenance is more complex, and less of the Ferrari owners do their own service. The big service is the timing belt change, which Ferrari recommends every 15k miles or 3 years. In some models this is an engine out service, as the mid-engine cars have the timing belt positioned right up against the cabin firewall.

When Ferrari service can not resolve the issues they send them out. In the SF valley/ Calabasas they send them to Fusion Motorsports. Damian Forbes is the owner, I had taken my Ferrari in this week to get the A/C checked out. He checked the system found it was functioning properly, he them drained and vacuumed all the lines, checks for leaks and recharged the system. What he charged was reasonable/ more than, given he was dealing with a Ferrari and had to remove all the trunk carpeting to get to the A/C. And when I dropped off the car, me thinking it would take 20-30 minutes to check the system, his wife immediately offered to drive me work. They seem to be nice, honest, good people, that specialize in all exotics.

If you were to choice to do it yourself, you can get most of the parts you need from Ricambiamerica- they are quick and reasonable and Daniel will answer your technical questions.

But I do have an extra black prancing horse emblem, I could sell you, which you could stick on you car and say it's a Ferrari, which would be cheaper than buying a Ferrari expenive.;) Hell, some mistake the Lotus for a Ferrari, so way not confuse more people. Have Ferrari Lotus symbol, this would go along with the Lotus Ford symbol on the Espirit.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts