The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Track only 2-11....any advantage to using a stock celica 5 spd box over the stock celica 6 spd box?

Got sent the 5spd by accident and new LSD installed already so thinking of being lazy...they will send me the 6 spd but I would just need to swap the new lsd.

Now debating if the 5 spd might be better?

I never use 6th gear on any track that I go to.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Celica GT 5-speed: 3.166, 1.904, 1.392, 1.031, 0.815, Final: 4.312

Celica GTS 6-speed: 3.166, 2.050, 1.481, 1.166, 0.916, 0.725, Final 4.529

·
Vendor
3,161 Posts
Doc,

The 6 speed is going to be tighter ratio and help keep you in the powerband. In either case, the top gear will be un-useable on most tracks. 5th in the Celica is the same ratio as 6th in the Lotus BUT with a taller final drive it will be less useful than Lotus 6th. 1st is the same, taller 2nd is good for autocross(I used a 5 speed for a while). However you will be taller on 3/4/5 by alot. I think the car will be slower, just looking at the math. FWIW.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Doc,

What you really want to look at is the RPM drop when you shift from gear to gear. Our little motors like to be kept wound up so the more RPMs that are dropped, the longer it takes to build speed.

Later,
Eldon

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Thanks Fred...that’s what I was thinking as well.
Here are some breakdowns:
Jay, on a different point, are you really running a "40" series tires on the rear.... i.e. 225/40X17"?

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Oh yeah...I think it is the 45 not the 40
Stick with the 6-speed and if you are going with the stock box (vs a FRED-BOX ;)), I highly recommend you have the stronger 3rd and 4th gears installed.

Either the Jubu or SSC gears, both are available at various vendors -- I think Monkeywrench carries both.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts