The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All my previous cars are using 5W30 synthetic Mobile One. I understand that Lotus requires 5W40, but I live in Southern Cali where temperature is not as cold as in the UK. It's hard to find 5W40 in USA as most of you know.

I do not think it's a problem given the weather we have here, but I am just wondering what you guys think if it's OK.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Engine oil

You must use 5w40 oil to comply with the warranty requirements and they are insistent on that. Mobil One has just introduced a 5w40 grade.

·
Registered
815 Posts
All my previous cars are using 5W30 synthetic Mobile One. I understand that Lotus requires 5W40, but I live in Southern Cali where temperature is not as cold as in the UK. It's hard to find 5W40 in USA as most of you know.

I do not think it's a problem given the weather we have here, but I am just wondering what you guys think if it's OK.
You have it backwards. Beacause Cali is warmer than the UK, you would want a thicker oil (5W50), not thinner (5W30).

Either way, stick with the stock 5W40.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Its not that hard to find Havoline 5W40

You can pick up this oil from the Texaco/Chevron distributor in your area. If they dont stock it they can order it.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I use Shell Rotella 5w40 diesel synthetic. Seems to be fine. I know others here use it as well. Can get it at Wal Mart.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts

Besides the fact that Lotus is insistent on 5W40, you have it backward. Typically, 40 weight oil is used in hotter climates instead of 30 weight. If you were to use 40 weight oil, you would be running "thinner" oil and providing less protection.

Mobil 1 5W40 "Turbo Diesel Truck" oil appears to be a good choice of oil to use. It is the proper weight, and has extra anti-wear additives that have been removed from the current oils. Our cams seem to need this additional anti-wear additives.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
For those who have not seen my previous posts, I will repeat.
Lotus USA instructed my dealer to replace the 10w40 they had put in with 5w40.

·
Registered
712 Posts
5W40 always; no matter where you live.

You can order them at on-line store, I believe. Maybe have stored one or two extra in your garage for your next oil change- peace of mind..

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
gameson, I ordered Castrol Syntec 5W/40 from my local (SoCal) Autozone store...the order was filled on a same day basis.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
One more vote for insisting on 5W40. Lotus hammers that point home at every opportunity and if it didn't matter, I don't think they'd care so much. With the relative uniqueness of the engine, I think that it is important to follow their advice.

I've also gotta make a vote for the Mobil1 5W40 diesel engine oil. Works just fine on the Elise but has more additives which may be slightly worse for the environment, but are much better for your engine.

·
Registered
545 Posts
5w40 RotellaT here. 4qts $10-15

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gameson, I ordered Castrol Syntec 5W/40 from my local (SoCal) Autozone store...the order was filled on a same day basis.
I tried to order 5W40 at my local Autozone (San Diego), but they say they can't order it. They say if they don't carry it in store, then it can't be ordered for personal small order. :shrug:

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
I tried to order 5W40 at my local Autozone (San Diego), but they say they can't order it. They say if they don't carry it in store, then it can't be ordered for personal small order. :shrug:
Next time you're in LA, pick some up from LBH, or get it from Symbolic.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found Valvoline full synthetic 5W40 at my local pepboys. Is Valvoline a good brand? Are they coming from Havoline?

·
Registered
494 Posts
You don't want to change the "warm" viscosity of the oil regardless of climate.

You play with the "cold viscosity" side...going lower (towards 0) in colder climates so that the oil starts moving around rather than being sludgy until the engine warms it.

But I personally wouldn't give Lotus any warranty excuse. Even if that means you just can't start the car if it's below freezing.

Steve

1 - 20 of 27 Posts